It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children should be protected from bigoted Christian foster parents

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Children should be protected from bigoted foster parents

Christian campaigners are ridiculously exaggerating their claims that they are being disadvantaged in this country, says the National Secular Society.

The comments were prompted by the case of Owen and Eunice Johns who have launched a High Court challenge to a decision by Derby Council to deny them work as foster parents after they told social workers they could not support the Council’s equality policy.

Mr & Mrs Johns said that their Christian beliefs precluded them from agreeing to tell any children in their care that homosexuality was acceptable.

But what is at stake here is the Council policy that is aimed at protecting children. Suppose the Johns were to foster a child who was gay? What sort of reassurance could they give to such a child? And more importantly, what kind of damage could they do? “The Council is absolutely right to refuse fostering to a couple with such extreme religious views. Social workers must always put the welfare and safety of the children first and not put them into an environment that is unbalanced in any way, whether that is in religious terms or any other.

What is the danger to a child here do you think, learning the foster parents consider the way the child was born to be an abomination or that the foster parents' instructional manual for life commands the child be put to death ?

article link www.secularism.org.uk...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
What some extremist forget is Jesus words and actions. He associated with tax collectors, prostitutes, the "unclean". What would Jesus do, about homosexuality? I seriously doubt that he would diss them. I'm not saying that gays are any of the above. Just what is portrayed by the "righteous". I don't know of any biblical passage where Jesus hung with and condoned the Scribes and Pharisees. Quite the opposite. Extremists aren't following the teachings of Christ. They should get a clue.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
There should be higher prerequisites in order to foster children. As an athiest, I feel no child (nor person) should be subjected to a belief they don't want to be a part of.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Reply to post by cowman

How dare a parent teach a child their beliefs and system of morality!

Never mind the fact that these evil Christians are have helped millions of kids find a home, because they are following some of God's laws.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by cowman
There should be higher prerequisites in order to foster children. As an athiest, I feel no child (nor person) should be subjected to a belief they don't want to be a part of.

That's YOUR belief though. How does a kid know what s/he wants until they know the options?

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Never mind the fact that these evil Christians are have helped millions of kids find a home, because they are following some of God's laws.

Why can't they help millions of kids find a home, because they have no where else to go..?

WTF does god's laws have to do with it..? They can't help get a kid off the street without shoving their bigoted ideals down a vulnerable kids throat..?

Organized religion is the king of hypocrisy, and the Christians wear the crown indignantly...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cowman

You mean teach them to believe as you believe, that is no different than what you oppose the Christians for. And if we teach a child nothing they will learn nothing and be no more than animals.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The fact is, any person that believes his or her moral system and beliefs are true and correct will try to indoctrinate the child. A child could just as easily be the victimized by having atheism forced down their throats...

By people like you.

If a child is going into a loving, nurturing home, where's the harm? After the child grows up, he or she will question the parents religion, develop their own beliefs and go on their merry way.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

What some extremist forget is Jesus words and actions.

Like having temper tantrums in the Temple (hardly befitting an omnibenevolent being eh ?)

Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple.

Do not think that I come to bring the peace upon earth: I came not to send peace but the sword. For I come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; -- -- --

Nice guy eh ?

He associated with tax collectors, prostitutes, the "unclean".

So do I big deal

What would Jesus do, about homosexuality? I seriously doubt that he would diss them.

He already did when he gave moses the laws did you not read that bit ? He also mentioned that not one jot or word of the law would be changed, remember ?

Now baring in mind the instructions relating to homosexuals are still in the foster parents good book one can only conclude that the words mean what they say, woe betide any foster child that happens to be born gay.

Extremists aren't following the teachings of Christ. They should get a clue.

Are people that believe what the bibles say extremists ?

Good job I don't believe a word of it then

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by cowman

Churches need to be sure of a well populated next generation of suckers to be controlled and robbed, of course they would advocate bringing in easily brainwashed and impressionable children.

The future of the scam known as religion depends on it.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

Although I believe that your argument has merit, it seems that it should eliminate the 'Christian' part and just say that children should be protected from bigoted foster parents.

The flip side of your coin would be the hypothetical member of a skeptics society who decides to foster some children. A laudable action. It then (hypothetically) turns out that this person is an evangelical atheist and who indoctrinates the children in the belief that there is no God.

Or the racist who indoctrinates the child in the ways of the Klan and some imagined racial purity.

Or the someone that believes that those with handicaps (physical, mental or emotional) are a drain on a societies resources and should be eliminated.

Or a thousand other forms of bigotry.

Eric

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Why can't they help millions of kids find a home, because they have no where else to go..?

WTF does god's laws have to do with it..? They can't help get a kid off the street without shoving their bigoted ideals down a vulnerable kids throat..?

Organized religion is the king of hypocrisy, and the Christians wear the crown indignantly...

And the way you practice it, my friend. Your atheism is a religion.

From dictionary.com

Religion:

something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

God's laws state we are to love others as ourselves, that a kind word turns away anger, that holding hatred in our hearts is a sin and very bad for us and many other examples of evilness.

Where's the harm?

Your hateful, cold-hearted desire to keep good, Christian families from making poor, unloved, abused children a part of their families because they just MIGHT become Christian themselves... that's truly poisonous.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

What's moral about teaching a child that the way that he was born is somehow repugnant and that he will be tortured for all eternity for it by the very being that has allegedly created him like it ?

Get off your soap box it's shameful to have to be commanded to do good, muslims do good things. Buddhists do good things atheists do good things , I don't need a law telling me to be compasssionate.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

These aren't their kids that are in question. They are someone else's kids. I don't understand how any person could be willing to demean a defenseless child by telling them that their homosexuality is a sin or an abomination, let alone defend such actions. Not to mention that many foster children are the victims of abuse and neglect to begin with. Let's not add to the abuse and neglect by forcing religious beliefs those children may not have down their throat and making them believe there's something wrong with them.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

And the way you practice it, my friend. Your atheism is a religion.

Get a bloody grip, atheism is simply not believing in the god that you do period it is not a belief in itself

same old regurgitated xtian nonsense courtesy of Kirk Cameron et al

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

Your atheism is a religion

And ignorance is yours...

I'm not an atheist - both zealots and atheists are idiots IMO, as neither has an open mind, but rather an agenda...my post attacked the potential foster parent's agenda and the religion tied to it - nothing else...

What's it feel like to be dumbest person in the thread sis..?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

To not believe is believing in not believing. And from what I have seen of you and the way you attack Christians - it's a religion and you're a fanatic.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

It then (hypothetically) turns out that this person is an evangelical atheist and who indoctrinates the children in the belief that there is no God.

Although TA and myself share much in common I cannot speak for him, however I have two children of my own and they are certainly not indoctrinated with my "unbelief" they merely observe that I don't believe something due to lack of evidence period no harm done.

They can indoctrinate themselves or let a pastor do it as much as they like when their mature enough to investigate with a critical mind. If jesus really wants them then, well hey who am I to stop him eh ?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by sisgood

Your atheism is a religion

And ignorance is yours...

I'm not an atheist - both zealots and atheists are idiots IMO, as neither has an open mind, but rather an agenda...my post attacked the potential foster parent's agenda and the religion tied to it - nothing else...

What's it feel like to be dumbest person in the thread sis..?

Had the OP been about bigots, and not directly targeting Christianity, I would be here nodding and agreeing. MY problem is that this entire thread is about demeaning one religion that has its crazy people, bigots and a majority of good, loving, normal people just like all other beliefs.

I think a hard-line Muslim family as foster parents would create much more controversy and NO I don't think that foster parents should be allowed to demean, shun, or otherwise neglect or abuse a child!

What are the foster parents supposed to do? Leave the child home alone while the family goes to church?! No matter how hard they try not to, a parent will have SOME influence on how a child thinks and believes! It's the reason we're not a bunch of primitive idiots! We passed down ideas, stories, beliefs and morals to our children. It's how society works. I don't have a problem with gays adopting a child, why should you have a problem with a Christian?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

To not believe is believing in not believing.

LOL you have to be a christian as normally only christians spout nonsense like that

And from what I have seen of you and the way you attack Christians - it's a religion and you're a fanatic.

I don't attack chriistians, far from it I defend their right to believe whatever they wish (in their own closet so to speak) I do openly attack chrisitianity though.

I'm not fanatical but I'm certainly am passionate, but I suppose passion carries positive connotations which just won't sit right with you eh ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join