It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military needs to be bigger!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
china don't make me laugh china is going to cut their forces down because they cant keep up with the spending required and hey cant get equipment and troops that china has now are not trained very good.

D

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
China are not cutting their forces because they can't afford it, its because it's modernising. China has realised that numbers alone cannot win a war and that streamlined and smaller divisions are a much more effective than having a massive 2 million man army.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
south Korea will get crushed by the north if we leave they don't have the numbers and don't have as much equipment and tanks as the north dose if we leave and they get invaded they will regret us leaving them then we will have to go in and dame them from the north again!

I've asked you the same question twice now. Are you avoiding answering it? Have you ever served in the military?

And have you never heard of our Navy's NUKE capabilities? Look into it. You'd be amazed. Because of it, our presence on the peninsula is not required. Let go of the ridiculously outdated cold war outlook.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I just love it.
People who have never served in the military, who have never experienced life in a war zone, generally don't have a clue. They usually scream the loudest to go to war. That in itself should speak volumes. Once you've smelled it, heard it, felt it, tasted it, endured it, things begin to look somewhat different. Diplomacy becomes all the more important. No one wants those who come after us to have to face what we've faced. It's not fear of the fight; it's more of a wizened wariness to its effectiveness and outcomes.

They may read about it, watch movies and documentaries and read books and articles on it, but that DOES NOT give them the proper appreciation for it. It does not give them an ounce of understanding for what it is to actually be a soldier, Airman, Aviator, Seabee or Marine. It is voyeristic like playing a video game. Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz is the greatest example of someone who doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to fighting a war, and yet look at what he's gotten us into. They should never have let him out of his academic fishbowl. His theories on Iraq have been proven to be absolutely wrong straight down the line. Perhaps if he had the slightest clue about Iraq and what it would actually take militarily to invade and secure it, the country would not be in nearly as bad shape as its in. That's what we get for putting a non-military pinhead in charge.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Eastcoastkid

Whether or not someone posts that they are in the military dosn`t mean there telling the truth.Everybody has an opinion but you have to judge there merits on what is said.Alot of people have the power to vote without the knowledge to make an accurate decision.Thats life.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
EastCoastKid, westpoint is not in the army. He is going to be a senior next year and thinks he is going to westpoint.

E_T

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
That's what we get for putting a non-military pinhead in charge.

Yeah, those who want to lead country/people should first serve them.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
No I have not served in the military and 99% percent of the people in this site haven't also so what dose that mean we cant post our point of views.
and nuke capabilities so what do you propose that we don't need troops on the peninsula but if the north invades we start firing nukes from our navy great idea gee why didn't I think of that.

[edit on 1-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
EastCoastKid, westpoint is not in the army. He is going to be a senior next year and thinks he is going to westpoint.

Thanks Cavscout. He didn't wanna answer that one, I guess. might shed some light on his pontifications.

Here's something for you to chew on Westpoint:

Iraq combat: What it's really like over there

By JOSEPH L. GALLOWAY

Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - The Internet, which fills our inboxes with spam and scams every day and keeps our delete keys shiny, occasionally delivers a real keeper, such as the words below, which were written by a graduate of West Point, Class of 2003, who's now at war in Iraq.
www.realcities.com... kages/galloway/8992746.htm

Those who refuse to listen to those who've already walked through the fire do themselves a great disservice.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
EastCoastKid,

It's rather obvious you're the only one who knows about anything you're talking about. I agree, it's amazing just how little people really know about the thing called war. They try so hard to justify it, glorify it, when they don't understand how simple it is. War is war. War is violence. War is killing. There is nothing noble or shameful about war. War just is.

I am planning to go into military service in four years. I am entering college this fall and I want to be a Marine officer in four years and lead a Marine infantry platoon into battle. I really don't know what war is really like, but I do know what war is about: survival. That's why we fight. It's something you have to win.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

Keyword: THINKS. I don't like saying this kind of stuff, but a guy like WestPoint23 is not U.S. Military Academy material. A guy who apparently knows nothing about modern warfare, theory, philsophy, and thinks it all comes down to "democracy and my religion is better," technology is better, etc., is definitely not that kind of material.

Service academies pick the ELITE. The kind of mindset WestPoint23 has is definitely not that.

Neither is mine, I realized that a while back. I don't have the confidence to be that.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

No I have not served in the military and 99% percent of the people in this site haven't also so what dose that mean we cant post our point of views.
[edit on 1-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

It's one thing to post your views. It's another thing to be totally ignorant and act like you're right every time, especially since you just conceded that you don't know everything and that it's your POV.

I get many things wrong too. But guess what? I'm not out to be wrong. I'm not out to be right either. I'm out to KNOW.

If you aren't willing to learn, your POV matters nothing.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Regarding the draft, I think there is a better idea.

What I was thinking, instead of drafting, how about the U.S. government add a little extra "incentive?" What gets Americans to be Americans is a citizenship. What if the government picked a day that anybody born after that day would not be an automatic American citizen, like it is now? From that point on, Americans need to WORK for their citizenship, through civil, government, or military service. They can be a doctor, police officer, garbage man, whatever, anything that requires them to serve the country under the government (local, state, or national) or military's supervision.

It seems cruel, yes. But I think it's psychological impact will be good, because now people won't take their right to vote, etc. for granted. Plus, people are naturally lazy and self-centered, so it always takes a huge incentive to get them to work. A citizenship would do just that.

I just think being a citizen should mean more than a test or being born here. So I suggest the government read Starship Troopers!

What do you all think?

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
You don't know anything about me and I wish you luck to becoming a marine officer im not West Point material? Well we will just have to wait and see sure I don't have to go to west point I can just enlist and be a private but I never pass up a good challenge that is why im going to west point.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
EastCoastKid,

I am planning to go into military service in four years. I am entering college this fall and I want to be a Marine officer in four years and lead a Marine infantry platoon into battle. I really don't know what war is really like, but I do know what war is about: survival. That's why we fight. It's something you have to win.

sweatmonicaIdo,
Thanks for the comments.

You sound very open-minded and willing to learn new things. I truly appreciate that attitude. Hang on to it and be a sponge. Always listen and learn. You will go far!
And you will serve your charge well.

The one thing I realize now, looking back, is how little I actually knew back then. And I was pretty experienced for a 20 yr-old. Trust me, I'd been around the block a few times before I ever joined. It was the political stuff and knowledge of history that I was lacking. Not such a bad thing for an idealistic young soldier.

I was lucky to be brought up and along by a bunch of Vietnam vets who retired after our return from the Gulf. Those guys and ladies were some of the finest people I have ever known. It was a pleasure to work for and with them. Not a day has passed in 15 years that i have not thought about them and the lessons they taught me/us.

Since I got out and went to college and continued to do my own research (on many issues, particularly the mid-east, OKCBombing and 9-11), I am blown away by all that I did not know back then. But, that's the way it is. Realize that early and you will be so ahead of the game.

I just wanted to say to you, I admire your desire to serve. I have a lot of respect for those who join the Marines. It's a hellish road to take. And if you have what takes to join that fraternity, than you have my upmost respect.
I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

ps. When that day comes and you are in charge of a platoon or a company, do me a favor - look out for the little guys. There is no smaller existence than that of a private or lance corporal (in the free world). It can be a harsh and frightening place to be. Treat them well and look out for them. They will, in turn, give you 150% and the most cherished thing of all, undying respect.

SEMPER FI!

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The problem with modern day society is the media.TV should never have been allowed into Iraq to report as the war was happening.Images should have been left out of the public domain until after the war.We have allowed ourselves to detattched from the true horror of war.Remember the first Gulf War when the genarals were debriefing and showing the images from missiles stricking and destroying the targets without seeing the horror that they will cause to a human body.When you are in the millitary and have seen front line action up close and personnel it effects people differently on the outside but within they will never forget.Some people can handle it and walk away others leave the service.
Kids such as Westpoint grew up seeing this and because the media allows them they believe they are stronger than they are.
Most frontline soldiers who have seen action can return to a war zone like crossing the road and can become addicted to the rush.Most rear action soldiers can`t hack it and tend to dripple on and on and on about how bad it is and they usually never return.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
As someone whose been through the fire I can attest, the people of the United States havn't seen nearly enough of war's reality.

Kids minds today are polluted with useless, violent video games about killing and destruction and they are bombarded by violence in movies and tv. I contend that is where they get the abominable idea that war is like a video game.

Trust me kids, it ain't. You can't imagine.

Our media's coverage of this war has been abysmal. If Americans got a steady dose of the reality on the ground, we'd be demanding the immediate withdrawel of our troops. Trust me on that.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

You don't know anything about me and I wish you luck to becoming a marine officer im not West Point material? Well we will just have to wait and see sure I don't have to go to west point I can just enlist and be a private but I never pass up a good challenge that is why im going to west point.

Well, the stuff you've written clearly doesn't show much, to say the least.

West Point is tough stuff. They expect the best and only the best. People going there for a "challenge" don't know what they're asking. You have to WANT to be an Army officer to succeed at West Point.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

The one thing I realize now, looking back, is how little I actually knew back then. And I was pretty experienced for a 20 yr-old. Trust me, I'd been around the block a few times before I ever joined. It was the political stuff and knowledge of history that I was lacking. Not such a bad thing for an idealistic young soldier.

I feel the same too. I've been around the block many times more than my peers. I have not lived in as fortunate conditions as they have. It's been a real tough life for me, so knowledge is that much more important.

Even so, I still live in America. America shelters it's people so well. So no matter what trouble I've had in my life, I still have much to learn. Because at least I don't have to worry as much about going hungry, getting hit by an RPG, etc.

ps. When that day comes and you are in charge of a platoon or a company, do me a favor - look out for the little guys. There is no smaller existence than that of a private or lance corporal (in the free world). It can be a harsh and frightening place to be. Treat them well and look out for them. They will, in turn, give you 150% and the most cherished thing of all, undying respect.

That's real good advice. I won't forget that!

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

As someone whose been through the fire I can attest, the people of the United States havn't seen nearly enough of war's reality.

Kids minds today are polluted with useless, violent video games about killing and destruction and they are bombarded by violence in movies and tv. I contend that is where they get the abominable idea that war is like a video game.

Trust me kids, it ain't. You can't imagine.

Our media's coverage of this war has been abysmal. If Americans got a steady dose of the reality on the ground, we'd be demanding the immediate withdrawel of our troops. Trust me on that.

Funny. I was just talking with someone who thinks America has the stomach for war. REAL war. Reality. Every soldier (including you now) who has actually fought has told me differently.

In fact, America's opposition to the Vietnam War was mostly due to people seeing the horror, carnage, and suffering! Had they not seen that, they'd be screaming for North Vietnamese blood.

Anybody who has not fight a war or a battle knows NOTHING about war. They can lie about how noble it is, how America can handle it, but war is not some guy murdering a 7-year-old girl. War is people using dangerous things to kill other people. Brains are split open, bullets paralyze people, intestines fall out, it's awful. Yet I don't know how awful it is.

[edit on 1-7-2004 by sweatmonicaIdo]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join