It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dick Cheney: War Profiteer-Extraordinaire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Ya gotta hand it to Tricky Dick. He's one smooth operator. Personally, I think they need to go back to the old way of doing business: QUARTERMASTER etc. instead of Private contractors. The privatization of the military is foolish and possibly dangerous (infiltration).

Check this out:

VP Dick Cheney has set a standard for War Profiteering that others can only dream about.
By Mick Youther

Vice President Cheney is an angry man. His war isn�t going well, the prospect of a second term is slipping away, and now some troublemakers in Congress are even starting to talk about war profiteering.

� �[Sen. Patrick Leahy kicked] off the Democratic National Committee's "Halliburton Week" focusing on Cheney, the company, �and the millions of dollars they've cost taxpayers,� ��--The Washington Post, 6/26/04

� �Vice President Dick Cheney blurted out the "F word" at Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont during a heated exchange on the Senate floor, congressional aides said on Thursday�[Cheney] ripped into Leahy for the Democratic senator's criticism this week of alleged war profiteering in Iraq by Halliburton, the oil services company that Cheney once ran.�-- Reuters Jun 24, 2004

I can understand why Cheney is mad. He is getting too old to start a new career, and war profiteering is the only thing he does really well. Dick Cheney has set a standard that other war profiteers can only dream about
www.interventionmag.com... d&name=News&file=article&sid=788

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
As far as celebrity couples go, I can easily imagine Dick Cheney and Martha Stewart in business together...

If there's 1/10 truth in any of the speculations of this administration - I hope they get what they deserve in some shape, form or fashion. I think the vision of the real patriots has been so twisted for personal benefit that it may never take proper form again.

If Cheney needs to change careers, he could always do a standup routine and throw his voice to his little dummy Bush sitting on his knee...

E_T

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yeah, when you look Bush's administration is full of conflict of interests.

www.opensecrets.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I just can't imagine, at this point, with everything coming apart at the seams like they are, that anyone with 1/10 of a brain could still support BushCo. They're just plain braindead. It's pathetic.

I especially love this one:

"[Last fall] Republicans stripped the iraq supplemental bill of an anti-profiteering provision which would have held companies holding contracts witht he U.S. government criminally accountable for price gouging..."Apollo Alliance Special Report, 11/6/03

Let's hear it for those patriotic Republicans!
I'm burning my Republican party registration! The vast majority of them are just as corrupt as Cheney.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I'm just curious... Where are all those BushCo. sycophants trying to defend Cheney's criminal actions? No takers, eh? No rebuttals?

There's no defending the indefensible.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Most of the of the people that bush have on his administration have business with the oil industry and they come from the old Reagan and bush senior years, one think I will tell you, not matter what if he gets voted again or gets kick out this people are going to be a lot more richer.

The reason for not defending Cheney actions, is due to been in campaign year, this is the time that candidates distance themsevels from each other and blame each other, so they can score posible votes, and when you have a big fish like Cheney the better.
let him fry.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I'm just curious... Where are all those BushCo. sycophants trying to defend Cheney's criminal actions? No takers, eh? No rebuttals?

There's no defending the indefensible.

Cheney is indefensible ECK. Across the board. No one gets more excited than Bush people when they float those Cheney to be replaced rumors about Frist and Guillinai. Which may still happen I think, but they're waiting to annouce after Kerry announces his VP to steal the thunder.

Or Cheney just dies from another "heart attack" right before the election. Nice and clean.

But if you got rid of the old guard of Cheney/Rummy type people who would run the world? Seriously.... Bush? I find that implausible.

And no one that could seriously help the Bush ticket (like McCain or Rudi or Powell) would play ball IMO.

Leaving us Frist I do believe. Or Condi.
That'd be great.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Good points, RANT.

Cheney should bow out due to "health concerns." But then again, wouldn't that leave him open to a world full of legal woes? He would no longer enjoy the cloak of state secrecy. God, what in the world would Tricky Dick do without the national security defense?

There don't seem to be many takers on defending the guy. I'm still waiting, tho.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
OK, ECK, I must be a "BushCo sycophant"
in your estimation.

Here's a chart I pulled from Yahoo finance, about Haliburton stock (only one measure of course of his connections to Halliburton.)

OK, I guess I can't really embed the image, so here's the link, Haliburton stock performance

Notice in 2001, when "BushCo" took office that the price was just under $40 and now is about $30. Doesn't seem like Cheney made much does it?

Now I guess you can argue that there is a big bottom around mid-year '02 - Maybe that is when he started lobbying for war, eh?

You guys got any good facts or evidence to show that he's doing stuff just to benefit himself or Haliburton? Or is that just your "Feeling""?

I don't like his Haliburton "baggage", mostly because it gives you guys something to cling to. I think it would be cool if there was someone else on the ticket in November. Someone more exciting ... Cheney is pretty dull.

[edit on 30-6-2004 by NashMan]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think Cheney may receive a pension from Halliburton, but whether that includes stock options, I don't know. According to that figure, if Cheney had exercised his options right before Halliburton was awarded the contract, he would have made out like a bandit!!

[edit on 30-6-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Cheney's gotten wealthy from Halliburton and its subsidiary Brown and Root. First he works in the government making Brown and Root friendly policies, then he goes to work for Halliburton, using all his nice little contacts at Defense to fatten his portfolio, then he comes back as VP so they can take over Afghanistan (Caspian Sea Basin Pipeline - go to www.copvcia.com for tons of info on that) and Iraq (world's second largest oil reserve). Mission accomplished.

It's interesting to note, that in Cheney's time of "service," the privatization of our military has grown exponentially. It was once not looked favorably upon. That is really what he should be most known for. I am absolutely opposed to it, myself, having been in the military. I think its BAD business all the way around.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

E_T

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NashMan
Notice in 2001, when "BushCo" took office that the price was just under $40 and now is about $30. Doesn't seem like Cheney made much does it?

What about profits?

I tried to search those but instead of those google gave this:
www.halliburton.com...

Halliburton Co., the largest U.S. oilfield-services company, may have overcharged the government for fuel deliveries in Iraq because of an “antiquated” accounting system, and no evidence suggests the costs were deliberately inflated, Pentagon Comptroller Dov Zakheim said.
Zakheim said the problem appears to stem from an antiquated accounting and cost-estimating system at the company that Vice President Dick Cheney headed from 1995 to 2000. Halliburton has assigned a 25-person team to correct that within “the next couple of months,” he said.

www.rationalrevolution.net...

[edit on 1-7-2004 by E_T]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Dick, the True president, is a mastermind that would rival that of any war criminal of the past 1000 years. Dick and Co have gotten away with price gouging AND charging money to things that don't exist. Haliburton s=charge the US millions on meals that the troops never got. In other words, I could charge the US for the purchase of 50,000 meals I am going to send to the troops, but I never make the meals but take the money anyways. Damn republicans, first it is the Franklin Coverup Scandal, so I guess Bush Jr needed to prove to daddy that his ego is bigger. just like with war. Daddy had a war with Iraq while Jr has a war with Afganistan, Iraq, and planning on NK and Iran. "Daddy, my ego is sooooo big that it could sell shade!" Bush.

top topics

join