It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxation without Representation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Wasnt sure where to post this so mods feel free to move this topic as you see fit.

We all know the phrase "No taxation without representation", Seems that we have strayed from this line of thought and I will outline it as follows.

Lets look at the world from an environmental standpoint. IGNORING global warming just to keep things on track. The environment is like any other commodity it is an asset, it has effects and in such it does have an inherent value associated with it. Instead of worrying about numbers lets focus on what the environment in terms of biospheres. Ah, good ol high school biology, not all of us are Mr. Wizard when it comes to science so a Biosphere is basically the sum total and inclusion of all the living things on the earth including you. Doing some research on jstor, science journals and during my studies I have found that every ecosystem like the oceans, or rivers, and freshwater lakes are in some state of decline. Meaning that in some way shape or form that the oceans, even the great plains, are suffering from decreases in the numbers and variety of species both animal and plant to the little things such as a change and drop in oxygen levels in freshwater lakes. There is not one article I can find anywhere from any habitat that is being studied that shows an increase in species or a rise in the sustainability of any habitat. There are articles that discuss superfund sites and their renewal and imact on surrounding wildlife. This is not what I am looking for, superfund sites are simply removing something from an environment that does not belong there. What I am talking about are natural habitats that display a rise in their productivity through either a variety of plant life or animal life expectancy. I can find none.

In a sense this decline is the cause of many factors and can be attributed to everything from chemicals to animals from one habitat invading another, something called an invasive species. Without discussing specific causes my thoughts are that in a sense this is a Tax on future generations. Something that they will have to fix due to things being done now. I am sure we all remmember DDT, or you can look at agent orange which are all isolated cases. Though looking outside that small box of isolated instances, every single habitat on earth is in some stage of decline through species extinction, depopulation, or the loss of certain types of plant life and other breaks in the food chain. What we are doing today and have done in the past is affecting and changing the world around us. Its not natural afterall synthetic chemicals and antibiotics are not natural. Such as people dying from staph infections due to the antibiotics in milk that most people dont know about. Or the use of artificial sweeteners that contain neurotoxins, keep in mind that what you dont absorb and leave as waste must go somewhere and affect something, somewhere. All of this is called not by lets say just petroleum based products such as plastics or antibiotics. The sum total of the problem seems to arise from the use of all synthetic chemicals even the drugs sold over the counter that have more warnings and hazards then they do benefits.

Seems to me with these facts in mind, 2012 or not. Things are not going to be good in the future. Putting these burdens on future generations is in essence the same as No taxation without representation since they have no choice regarding the inheritance of these ills that have become a plague upon our society, and our planet where we live.

In no way do I offer a solution or am I trying to offer as a suggestion that we stop using plastics or other types of synthetics. My point is more about the fairness of levying a burden legally upon a third party (that being future generations) and passing the cost of finding a solution to them. beyond the boring black and white arguments of legality are the broader implications. If every ecosystem is in some form of decline, how much longer until we begin to decline. The earth and was here before us and will be here after us. I see no reason why the earth wont sooner or later activate some self defense system in the form of a virus, or environmental disaster to set things right again.

To me in a sense the use of these products and loss of every habitat on earth, through the decline of our biosphere is a conspiracy. A global one that is all around us that we see everyday but noone does anything about.

I look forward to reading others opinions supported by facts or just their own responses based upon their life experiences.

join