It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riot control at NATO/US base being deployed!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Eavel

I'm talking massive natural or not-so-natural emergency, complete chaos and breakdown of the system, base gets locked down and the most important people are smuggled out, we are left to fend for ourselves. it's nice to think everything would be fine, they'd come out to where we live and help us find our way home, but it might not happen depending on how important you are and how quickly things develop. i'm not even military, so i can forget it. fact is, the population density of this part of the world would make it impossible to live off the land and stay out of the way of the roving bands of thieves coming for your food. ever read the book "The Road"?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by thenewshmoo2

You cant live off the land with this type of population density unless you know a farmer or two that has enough land but needs help tending to the field or small stock.

Buy a garden tool I call them khukri or better a hatchet as they are more functional. Longbow is also good to have, the problem is. Some people do have shotguns here, though it cost your left leg to purchase and license it for bird hunting.

The bows are not restricted. You can get a compound, but I find them heavy. I personally have a 3 rivers tomahawk (longbow) with carbon backing, very nice bow. Shoots heavy 600 grain that will penetrate pretty much anything with some nice broadheads. Even field points will score you a rabbit or two since the moutnains are so close, but this will be a short living situation as people will snare the forest to nothing and food will deplete extremely fast. (plus I have 4 extra strings I can switch out, no mechanical breakage, minimum maintenance, just long which becomes bothersom to carry but extremely light) Recurves are good also, much shorter but shoot flat. its all preference. Easy to learn, instinct shooting is fast arrow to target style, no lining up sights or any of that mess.

Take all your gold/silver and head to the sea or ocean, whichever you feel has boats that can ferry you up and around. I would not recommend squatting here, when people have hungry families it gets down right nasty.

If you have family to tend to, the idea just became much harder. Especially for children that are young and do not understand what is going on.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Eavel

Good advice on the bow. i think it's my next move.. i have a really good air rifle that will take down birds and small animals no problem, lots of ammo. against people though, it'll penetrate about 2 inches i figure, you'd need an eye shot to stop an attacker. I have two children, that's my concern, i figure the only way to survive would be to try to make it up north, maybe even east. the people there are used to living off of the land and there's more empty space and wild animals. plus, most of the masses will be trying to go south where it's warmer and they think they can get easier pickings. if you can get a foothold and survive the winters, there's plenty of fish and game to live off of. i read somewhere that the best thing you can do is invest in some small displacement 4 cycle off road motorcycles, will go anywhere on a small amount of gas, which you could "Procure" along the way to wherever you are headed. strap on a nice set of boltcutters, a tent, supplies.

<< 1   >>

join