It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd like to bring a very real conspiracy to your attention, it involves our beloved ATS.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by thektotheg

That would be fine, that is, in theoy. Until......One of them actually is. Unlikely, I know, but remember, the whole basis of this site is covering unexplored possibilities. Besides, sometimes posts like the one your talking about can be very entertaining. Adds to the flavor.
Besides, even with them included, this site still has more credibility than the evening news. In fact, it isn't even close. For example, you would think that with large planes emptying tanks of barium and aluminum particles, or whatever that stuff is, it might get a mention on the networks. You would think one of those "journalists" would ask "Hey, why is there a big checkerboard in the sky, lately?"
So take it as it comes. Adds to the flavor of life.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
You have hit the nail bang on the head with this thread, essentially these agreeable members are covering the good information under a pile of #hit, there needs to be a way to quickly move these posts to the #hit pile so as not to cover decent information.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Ok, so what if the cut off date was 12/12/09? Would you still feel the same way?

Maybe some of us have been members for a LONG time and have had to start a new account for a multitude of reasons.

I do not think that your idea is a good idea, or a reasonable idea.... There are several new members here that contribute just fine...Likewise, there are veterans that don't!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Has anyone mentioned adding an un-star option and un-flag option? You have your option to star or un-star, flag or un-flag. If people post the ludicrousness often enough, they will eventually be in the negative by majority vote. We'd know right away when the thread is posted if they're full of BS or not.

Might be less rants back and forth. I sometimes find it frustrating when reading a topic with some valid insight to have to forward through all the banter.
edit on 9-11-2010 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

You are Leaving out an entire half of the argument. One could say that from seeing this huge influx of new people is even MORE of a reason to believe some things we are saying. I am new here but I lurked for 5 years and just decided to come on board because there are very strange things happening right now.

More people are just realizing the truth and waking up and don't know how to form arguments and end up bickering and annoying the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Project-Sign
I think you're reading too much into this. I'd say the increasing number of utterly pointless and asinine threads on ATS is in direct proportion to the growing number of idiots in the world.

No conspiracy here, sadly. I understand though, it's hard to keep the disappointment to yourself at times. Some of the threads here lately, well you wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry, they're that bad.

"Many of us are geniuses living within the brains of idiots"
This is a signature from one of the members who posted on a thread in question.

Who is to say you aren't one of them?
Who is to say, I'm not one of them?

They are here, and there is a conspiracy, but perhaps it isn't as sinister as we think, it could just be some psycho-serial killer - stalker trying to spook his reptilian girlfriend into believing he's The Laughing Man from that movie Freaks, yeah back to the sock drawer you go Everything Except Shoes!!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
For me it's not the ridiculous members it's the ridiculous threads like this one.
I come online, I come on ATS and I visit the forums I like.
I dont understand the threads complaining about other threads.
If I feel I dont like the topic or think the OP is a nut, I simply wont bother to reply.
I do know what you meen but making a thread about it only contributes to the problem you say exists.
Pay no attention is the best way.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I think the problem lies in the fact that ATS has shifted to welcome morons in as they generate the site owners more money. The crackpots, new age fluff, and generally stupid people used to test the waters here and get the banhammer for posting garbage, now, anything goes and the floodgates of stupidity have been opened.(I blame springer)

Another thing about this is that the OP is correct in his entire post, I have seen this trend as well and noted the same users bumping the same rhetoric. Webbot threads should be an instaban, instead they are front page material. The solution would be for the mods to do their job and close pointless threads and hand out bans for repeat offenders.

The result of the crapposting, whether it is a super secret disinfo campaign or just dumb people, is that ATS has been pretty much rendered useless as an information and research conglomerate. The reason I blame springer is that his response has been to say, "Be nice or ban, everyone is welcome here, except for those that would deter people from flocking here"

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Amen! S & F!

I have been doing my part, sorta being a "Jane Appleseed" of Reason through some of the smaller threads. I've shut two threads down using Reason, and fueled the downward spiral of a few others. Yay for science and my growing posting style!

People are just desperate for a distraction - but they're choosing the wrong things to direct their attentions at. Global warming, poverty, homelessness exist in every American community, and if you are so bored you think that the government leaders are shape changing lizard men from under the earth, please get off your couch and put some effort into making this whole ride better for every human.

Also, is that Bill Hicks as your avatar? I can't tell, but I think it is..

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Maybe I can put this into perspective For some of you Ranting about Bad post's receiving to many flags and stars.

First- This is not something new to this site. We go through this every year. Normally right at summer break. And if you click on a post and you think it is garbage, Then dont reply at all and move on.

Second- We are not losing good threads to bad ones that are starred and flagged to death. It is pretty easy to look at all post's written in the last week with just a few clicks of the mouse. And if you search the data-base, You can find thousands of past post's That will dive right into the subject or subjects you are looking for. If you like a post and you think it is important enough that others should know about it, S&F it by all means. If not move on. Simple aint it?

3- Sometimes you may find a post that is pretty far out there and most people just laugh it off. But the core of the subject may spark another idea you may have. Sometimes we need to get bits and pieces of information to see the whole picture.

4- Some people are not good at presentation. But they believe so strongly in what they are posting, They post without much info or so called proof. They then learn from others responding back to them. That is how we grow. Learning from others and our own mistakes.

And last but not least- We all need to lighten up. Have some fun and a good laugh. With all the doom and gloom in the world maybe we are all getting to serious. As rodney king said, Can't we all just get along?

Oh yea, The most important thing- The mods do a fine job here at A.T.S. So as guest's of this site, Let them run it as they seem fit. After all, they are the rulers here. And from what i have seen they tolerate way more than they have to.

Peace all and happy posting's

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I've been working on this for awhile, so please, give me your undivided attention. This is a very serious subject and I think it's time it was discussed properly.

Even though I'm blowing the whistle here, it should be noted that it took me a little while to put the pieces together. I'm sure many of you have felt something wasn't right, so I'm hoping you'll offer input as to the reality of this phenomena.

Over the course of my (cosmically) short time as a registered member here on ATS, after many years of lurking, I've begun to notice a trend that seems to be building steam. Post after post of ridiculous nonsense seems to be showing up at a startling rate. I'm far from a skeptic, greatly appreciating the far out topics typically discussed. What I've begun to notice, however, is not just the frequency of these threads in question, but also the reaction.

While steadfast members of the ATS community (typically you crafty veterans) are quick to decry the nonsensical madness going on in so many of the posts, there's a small uprising seemingly forming whose express purpose seems to be bumping, flagging, starring, and generally agreeing with the lunatic OP in question.

Now, while this isn't anything at face value, we should look deeper into the murky depths of this conspiracy. After tireless hours devoted to this subject, I can now prove - unequivocally - on an etch-a-sketch or home computer, mind you; that the members agreeing with and raising these posts to an undeserved level are all...NEW members.

While the influx of fresh blood is both important and refreshing, it is now becoming obvious that something increasingly more sinister is going on...

These new members, their reputations at stake, have secretly banded together via the interwebs to infiltrate their individual posts en masse. But, they aren't just reading these posts. No, sir. They're actually backing one another as though everything being said is beyond reproach. This is happening at an alarming rate. Everything from prediction threads ( www.abovetopsecret.com... )(www.abovetopsecret.com...), to the even more disturbing posts ( www.abovetopsecret.com... ) where the OP essentially makes the claim to be of ET origin.

Some of you may write this off, but our very EXISTENCE depends on our ability to stop these evil beings from controlling the boards. Today it's a post about web bots being flagged to the top, tomorrow your kid could have an important 6th grade presentation torn apart by a group of "D" students who have joined up together in order to push their belief that George Washington is still alive . Yeah, I know. It's hard to stomach. But, seriously - think of the children!

So the question becomes "where do we go from here?" I, for one, am not going to take this. Within moments of posting this, there will likely be a response from 30 members who joined in the last week, who will insist that I'm just a bitter Anti-noobite. They may attack my character and besmirch my good name. In all liklihood, they'll link to a post made by someone claiming to be from the Alpha Draconis who will insist that I am from a rebel start system looking only to eat your souls. Do not believe the lie, friends. We are better than that. I promise, I'm from Earth. I was born on Long Island, but that's still technically Earth, I think.

I submit that members with longstanding membership (I wouldn't qualify as long enough) be given the power to auto-ban anyone bumping a post that would make Sci-fi writers laugh heartily.

Let us get to the bottom of this. But, please, do so quietly. They're watching us. Thank you for your time.
=============================================================================================

1.I've been working on this for awhile
2.so please, give me your undivided attention
3.This is a very serious subject
4.I think it's time it was discussed properly.
5. Over the course of my (cosmically)
6.to put the pieces together.
7.Post after post of ridiculous nonsense seems
8.there's a small uprising seemingly forming whose express purpose seems to be bumping, 9.flagging, starring, and generally agreeing with the lunatic OP in question.
10.After tireless hours devoted to this subject, I can now prove - unequivocally - on an 11.etch-a-sketch or home computer, mind you; that the members agreeing with and raising 12.these posts to an undeserved level are all...NEW members
13.obvious that something increasingly more sinister is going on...
14.These new members, their reputations at stake, have secretly banded together via the interwebs to infiltrate their individual posts en masse.
15but our very EXISTENCE depends on our ability to stop these evil beings from controlling the boards
16I submit that members with longstanding membership (I wouldn't qualify as long enough) be given the power to auto-ban anyone bumping a post that would make Sci-fi writers laugh heartily.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

reply to post by Immortalgemini527

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were trying to get stars do you think I would've posted this at midnight? haha. Good lord. Let's push the logic button.
=============================================================================================
Lets push the logic button then!
What on earth do u not know, are u blind? Its called adapting to your environment, the old school ats members on this board stick with who they know to the fullest extinct and when the new members come on they blow them off and tend to really stick it to them.
So what does the new school do? they all stuck together and are just chilling and having a good conversation and loving life as to just have some one to chat with, learn and understand what’s going on.

[submit that members with longstanding membership (I wouldn't qualify as long enough) be given the power to auto-ban anyone bumping a post that would make Sci-fi writers laugh heartily.]

IS it really that serious^^^^^^^^^^?
is this what the ats really is about?
are u all really separating each others post by ranking of members?
i am on 12 forums from 8 to 12 eastern time and i find this the coolest sight ever.
but with post like these it only starts a mind thing amongst u all that is really not needed on this sight because its that DAMN GOOD. TO ME. IM not saying what every one else thinks but to me i like this sight and everything u said came from not the soul but. ENVY.
WE DON’T NEED THAT ON THIS SIGHT.....PERIOD!

BUT .your entitled to your opinion just like every one else has there’s.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

And you are...............?
This is too funny. Just to make a second line.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I cannot make heads or tails of your post. I do not mean to be critical ( I think you were saying that was "bad" in your post ) but could you please work on your grammar, sentence structure, and structure of your replied post so we, as a forum, know what you're trying to say?

Again, I do not mean to be critical, but if you want us to see your side of the point, you need to untangle your words from the posters. This sort of thing may be what OP is also angry at - people not taking the time to REALLY proofreed their posts. Things do get lost in translation, and when you're taking in a "public" place, you should state your ideals clearly, not just going by what may sound well formed in your head.
edit on 9-11-2010 by ScarletNyx because: To make people not hate me as much

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AlternateEnding

I wish people would stop trying to argue with me about members being able to ban other members and other bits from the OP. Christ, as has been said 93284983943 times since the OP, that is a joke. You can disagree with it all you want, but you aren't disagreeing with me. I don't support that. haha. And as to plenty of others who didn't bother to read what was said throughout...I'm not going to rehash it. You missed the quality of the discussion, you also missed having any sort of point by skipping to the end and acting as though what you're saying is relevant. I just don't have the willpower to explain this all again to the folks still trying to argue with me about the OP's message, because the message wasn't THE MESSAGE.

Lastly, it is increasingly clear that many people here are taking themselves entirely too seriously. It's a shame. But, the thread is what it is. If you aren't one of the members who appreciated it, that's really beyond my scope of control. I don't try to be some star/flag whore (I didn't expect to still have to respond on this post), whether you want to lie to yourselves about it or not. I prefer to chime in on topics when necessary. If you can't understand this all, it's likely because you haven't read it all. If you do understand it and don't approve, well that's just another layer of the point being made, now isn't it?

For those who enjoyed the ride, I appreciate your words. I picked up a lot from your posts, which in the end, is what matters. I definitely have a higher level of clarity pertaining to the real message, than I did coming in. Thanks for reading. Cheers.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I also have no clue what you're trying to say, friend. There's a lot to be said for punctuation, grammar, and clarity. Just saying.

Toward the end you say I'm envious. I'm not quite sure of what, but ok? As I've stated again and again (and by what I could decipher from that post, you haven't read most of it), I'm tired of having to wade through 40 levels of nonsense before a genuinely legit post can be found. That's all. That's what matters in the end. I'd love to hear what I envy by holding that view, but I honestly don't think you've read enough to pose such a point. It doesn't make sense. I'm envious because I want OTHER members to make quality posts? I really don't get it.

Would appreciate some clarity.

Thanks.
)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ScarletNyx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot make heads or tails of your post. I do not mean to be critical ( I think you were saying that was "bad" in your post ) but could you please work on your grammar, sentence structure, and structure of your replied post so we, as a forum, know what you're trying to say?

U do not have to worry,it wasnt meant for u.
but in the future when u see reply to ScarletNyx.
Then thats when u reply.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Hey now... I enjoyed your OP! you have exactly the same thoughts ( Through the jokes ) that many other people have. do not listen to the people who haughtily adjust themselves in their chairs, hitch up their " I hate this topic, someone MUST KNOW my rage!" pants and proceed to use static logic and catchphrases to confuse and befuddle the rest of us. That may sound elitist, but if they really hate the topic, they would move on. Something you said got their ire up, and you should be proud of that.

Bill wouldn't want you to quit now or even despair, now would he?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I understand you were not talking to me, but you are posting in a public forum where anyone and everyone can and will respond to different people's posts. You seem very passionate about your topics, and that is good! I was simply trying to offer you advice to help get your point across to 1. Whomever you are talking to and 2. Everyone else reading the thread.

You wouldn't want to be one of those chattering fools who posts in run on sentences, who everyone groans and shakes their head when they post in a thread because we cannot understand you, do you? Yes, everyone has different posting styles, but even the guidelines of the webSITE suggest you post in a coherent manner.

I hope to see you in other threads in the future!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ScarletNyx

No worries. I'm not abandoning anything. I'm just making it clear that I don't want to repeat everything that's already been covered, ya know? I would like to think that a thread that isn't based on a video or link would require people to actually read it before they responded. haha.

I honestly feel like there was some high quality discussion here. I just urge people who are posting based on the OP to actually read the rest of the thread before they try to debase me based on stances I don't even hold. haha.

I've tried to maintain good humor through all of this. I don't think we're laughing enough at what really is meant to be laughed at...but instead, as many have already said earlier, we're now finding reason to laugh at supposedly genuine posts. It doesn't make sense.

I'm glad you get get it, though. I think it's important to talk about such things in a place designed for it (ie this thread), as opposed to everyone hijacking garbage threads and letting them spiral out of control and directly onto the front page.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join