It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd like to bring a very real conspiracy to your attention, it involves our beloved ATS.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by blamethegreys
I just hate that important topics get swept into the recent posts page 3 or 4 within a matter of minutes. Lots of good information is getting missed because every swinging keyboard wants to make a post!

I remember the good old days, when I lurked. Most posts were thought out and researched and discussed in depth. I don't recall "OMGWTFBBQ ALIENS LANDING IN 3 DAYS AT THE LHC, BUSH TO BE THERE!" ever happening.

I'll say it again because I really mean it: Lots of good information is getting lost.

The owners or mods could put a 5 min. hold on all member posts in the forums. That would keep someone from posting for at least 5 min. in between each posted answer, or new post. That info that is being lost, would at least get a fighting chance.

I've posted this suggestion many times....like to think it is getting "lost" due to the speed this bb turns over and not because it's being ignored.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Sounds like you caught a case of the conspiracy feaver
lol
sorry but as a somewhat new member I can honestly say I speak alone, I am in no way connected to an online mass intending on flagging bad posts

and I'm not flaging this either
edit on 9-11-2010 by GummB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

there was a time i would come to ATS for news, even this year i have found myself wondering why such topics were'nt even given a mention in MSM when they have the colour of some actor or footballers stool from the previous day as headlines. like most of you drawn to this thread and all others popping up about the dreadful ww3/doomsday/disclosure madness of recent. the only thing i have gained from ATS at present is a new found scepticism and an ability to 'lmao' as they say, at any forth coming war or devastation on this planet! if any major catastrophy occurred in my vicinity i would be shouting to the masses of pannicked folk, 'stop, it's a false flag, somebody put the last season of the simpsons on a big screen!'

but on a serious note obama backing india to become a part of the un... i hear none of this from ATS yet it screams of NWO! the drug wars on the mexican border? nothing here but where am i finding all this info? that's right MSM

it seems in a matter of months ATS has begun to churn out wayward 'conspiracy theories' as the MSM would usually obsess over celebrity gossip while the MSM is actually dabbling in some reporting for a change! it's no wonder half the BBC news team are on strike!!!

all i really wanted to say was if it wasn't for ATS i would not know about and be interested in half the current affairs politically, economically, environmentally and i'd even go as far to say spiritually as i am today. a few months of lunacy is well worth the vital knowledge and wisdom that has come with the years of reading this forum. everything should be back to normal as soon as the world ends later, it being 9/11 and all or 11/9 for you americans!! why? because a computer that predicts the future said so

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the sharp increase in "reputation damaging" threads since the news of the US Governments intent to discredit us.

Why not do it the way it's done in real life in a lot of churches? If someone has a prophesy or prediction, it should be posted on a board only visible to the site owners/mods. If they feel it is worthy to be posted, then they can move it. Or, they may feel it prudent to sit on it until after it's date has past, and then they can, with evidence and reputation, move it into a new board that lists successful prophesies.
edit on 9-11-2010 by TheIrvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by thektotheg

Some of you may write this off, but our very EXISTENCE depends on our ability to stop these evil beings from controlling the boards. Today it's a post about web bots being flagged to the top, tomorrow your kid could have an important 6th grade presentation torn apart by a group of "D" students who have joined up together in order to push their belief that George Washington is still alive . Yeah, I know. It's hard to stomach. But, seriously - think of the children!

I call Poe.

I think the fact that people are taking this seriously is a symptom of the universe. Good lord, yall. Satire?

Dammit. I should have read further down.

edit on 9-11-2010 by jeanvaljean because: Added a sentence.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
While a relitively new member myself I compleately agree even in the last few months Ive seen a rise in the number of realy obsurd threads ala ''its doomsday -again''. A lot of this could be delt with by reorganising the flag system into a upvote or downvote system to fillter the top ot members picks topics etc. Some may also be down to the new design (ive basicly given up using the site natively and rely on rss feeds on my main foroums). But blaming or banning new members seems counter to the spirit of ats denying ignorance cannot be achived if we block mew people from sheding that ignorance.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The only time I get mad at the influx of ridiculous theories is when I ask myself "how did THIS get to the top of the page?" But then I remember to not be so egotistical, plus, I suspect some people are creating multiple accounts in order to boost their own threads. It's so pathetic that it doesn't deserve my attention. I use ATS for what I want to use it for and ignore the "hey look at this picture of a UFO I filmed abducting my cat"

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I do find it odd when a thread with 5 sentances of nonsense, manages to get 50 flags and stars as soon as it is posted. with little or no replys. I do get supsicous. other website have bots that do this like on reddit and digg.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
We strive to make sure our rights are protected in every facet of life and work both as individuals and as a team to research and iether validate or debunk. Thats what I believe we do in here to the best of our ability.

Yea there have been threads that attract derailers and downright rude members because they "view" the thread as "rubbish, stupid, a waste of bandwidth and generally not worth the energy used by the OP that posted it. But......

There is always something to be learned from every thread, be it unknown information posted on page 23 or, that wee bit of info that fits in with a thread you are working on or planning.

In my view there no unworthy threads and the amount of stars or flags a thread gets is immaterial to me. All have a right to be there.

What I will say though and this can be evidenced, is that the language used from member to member and the name calling is getting beyond a joke. In the last week I have seen ( and they are still there), Moron, Stupid, Idiot, looney, bastard and others used to describe those who are supporting a thread. This begs the question.. where are the mods?. Yea I know we have an allert button and Ive used it, but the "Courtesy is mandatory" warning is not enough when there is an increase in this behaviour. True most are new members, but absolutly not all.

Prediction threads are part and parcel of ATS, dont like it, dont go into the threads. As a matter of fact, the solution is simple.

Allow others to have opinions and debate their evidence or thought. If you dont like, dont participate in the thread or keep it civil. This is very pertinent to some new members Ive noted in threads because aggression and demand are there tools of choice when they are in debate. My advice, ignore them.

We dont need a members jury to say what should or shouldnt be posted and I would ban anyone who ever calls for a ban on anyone just because they dont believe the Ops thread is invaluable.

Respects

edit on 9-11-2010 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
All of the old school contributors are gone from here. There was a time when you could get on here and get lost for hours reading well put together and extensivly researched threads. For instance right now you could choose from; various questions about my concerns in relationship issues, please read...considering new puppy?, the girl-slut, man-stud question, or my personal favorite "help all the girls at the office like me". Obviously the older generation of posters has moved on and the younger ones have moved in. NOT to say that the newer generation has nothing to contribute, but lets stay on topic please folks.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by inbound
. For instance right now you could choose from; various questions about my concerns in relationship issues, please read...considering new puppy?, the girl-slut, man-stud question, or my personal favorite "help all the girls at the office like me".

With you particular post in mind, I think I know what is happening, and I know where they are coming from.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Sorry, neither star nor flag for you!

Allowing or encouraging senior members to gang up on newbies or free thinkers? Even if the newbie is a weirdo, he/she has a right to express their thoughts. You are asking those to do exactly what you object to the newbies doing. How is that right?

I'm not for sensoring anybody and nor should you be. If a thread doesn't interest you just don't read it. Why should you deny them their fun? And really, this site is not geared towards children as a primary community anyway.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Isn't there a humour / Rant section for things like this?
Why is it in General conspiracies?

The OP is a newbie, and a S/A one at that.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I agree that there is a problem, however I don't believe we can do much about it.

When I saw the "Nuclear attack" prediction thread gain more flags than Proto's "All roads lead to Rome thread", I actually thought to myself that maybe it was time to leave ATS, maybe this place had been over run by teenagers and idiots. I've always advocated ATS being a place to learn, express wild ideas and make mistakes. I usually qualified that by knowing there was a hard core of sensible mature posters who researched, worked hard and presented brilliant threads. Lately there is something very wrong around here.

I made a thread:

What's with all the questions?

regarding ridiculous threads like, "Has anyone heard about a secret base in the Arctic" and little else.

Has ATS forgotten how to make a coherent, intelligent, well thought out thread?

Are we just reaping the benefits of the UN's dumbing down as per agenda 21 ( I mean seriously have you tried having a conversation with an 18-23 year old larely!).

I'm going to stick it out, keep banging the drum for hard work and intelligent threads, alas I fear it's falling on deaf ears.

All the best ATS, kiwi

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I agree completely with the OP. Some of the threads here lately are so lame. I'm thinking of never coming back. A guy uses what he calls an infrared filter on his camera (that's not really what it is) to film bugs and the thread is several pages long, filled with people applauding him and saying it can't be debunked.

The site has become lame lately because of all these threads and all the backers. ATS already has a reputation for not being very serious (and I'm being polite considering some of the things I've read about it), but this is just getting worse.

The quality of this site used to be much, much better than it is now.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Oh my, some of my threads would have had me banned long ago, but as I have stated before that no matter how unlikely my past experience has been I bring them forth to the forum none the less to discuss with others parts that I have still not come to grips with and to remain open to the possibility that others may have had similar.

What you feel comfortable with is not going to have the same level as I do, my reality is much less based int he reality which surrounds you or many, I am among the few who are open to the point of fantasy being more real than or holding the possibility of being real.

The threads which are so fantastic as to be unreal may not in fact be so far fetched to someone like me and therefore hold my interest.

What is great about this community is the fact that the membership will push the extraordinary threads out into the light of day and flush out the hoaxers and liars eventually. Sometimes immediately.

The diversity of threads are fun and entertaining. If you observe long enough you will find pearls from time to time.

ATSUniversity.
edit on 9-11-2010 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Op, I think that there are many new "KINDS"
of members joining now. Some may consist of elder members redoing their memberships with new memberships, some are new members comming to ATS because of some content they may be hearing about globally. And lol others may be E.T. or Aliens
posting here sounds far out but not really. So I think if you OP just allow things to progress these new members will become settled more in the norm of things overtime so give them a chance to get aquainted friend..

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I couldn't be bothered to read through the whole thread, mostly because the topic is not very interesting. No conspiracy, no breaking news, no need for popcorn.

I just want to point out that I am getting soooooo annoyed by these threads complaining about other peoples threads...come on man!!!!! You are just perpetuating the madness.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

That is exactly, what I just thought, when I had read page 1 and jumped over to the end.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
In my mind I just banned the OP for starting this silly thread.

it would suck, if it were possible right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join