It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd like to bring a very real conspiracy to your attention, it involves our beloved ATS.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I see the point made im that there is a lot of backing up going on. However, in defense of the 'noobs' when i first joined ATS i couldnt control myself. I thought that we were all going to be eaten by reptilians coming from the moon base guided by the illuminati controled by bush if planet x didnt get us first! My point being that i was overwhelmed, a little gulible and naive.
Hiwever, somewhat seasoned now I can almost seperate the bad from the good, the scare mongering from genuine warnings. Maybe some realise that we have many problems and are just a little toi enthusiastic regarding their response and the replies.

Best way I found was sticking to threads made by credible posters such as Dimensional Detective, Oz the Weatherman, The myth lives etc. After a while you start to be ,ore analytical and aware.

Peace

sorry for spelling and wot not, im on a bus from 1950 on maltese roads with an e72
edit on 9/11/2010 by LestatG because: shocking conditions for posting

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by thektotheg
reply to post by lifeform11

Dude. Good god. haha. You're killing me. It's not REALLY paranoid and ridiculous. That's the point. I didn't post it as a serious theory. It's satire, friend. It's supposed to be paranoid and ridiculous, but you don't seem to grasp that it's not real. You attempting to paint me as paranoid and ridiculous isn't a valid argument. The post was knowingly made and intended that way. Or...

Maybe you're one of the noobs trying to discredit me. Duhn Duhn Duhn. No, you're not. Because there's no god damn conspiracy here. haha.

I was on the floor laughing so hard.
But truthfully, just as I change the channel when I have no interest in a movie, I do the same thing on the internet.
I don't say rude remarks, or insult anyone, I just leave them to their thing.

I do want to add, without hesitation, that ATS is my MOST FAVE site in the world.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Eh, I don't know friend. I just thought I made it clear was all. Sorry if it wasn't. I realize a lot can be lost within words on a screen. This really turned into a monster. I need a cigarette like it's manifest destiny. haha. I just hope someone gets a giggle out of this. A few people seemed to like it. I hope you guys understand that the message isn't coming from a hateful place. I just really think the world of ATS and the majority of it's members, even when they don't agree with me or support my stance. I just think, in the end, that this place is too important to sink to the level it's been at lately. I can't stress that importance enough. With legit threads, the discussion is crazy. Every side of the issue is typically represented in such a way, that you really are given a rare opportunity - the chance to decide something based on pure information. I couldn't count how many times I've found myself on a different side than I came in on. I just think this place is so vital. With topics that are so clearly not intended for legit discussion, though, it really drags us down. I don't know, that's just my two cents.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by thektotheg

But, even that doesn't explain posts by ETs and a different doomsday thread for every day of the week. heh.

Yeah, for sure. I replied to one of those threads you linked in the OP yesterday and while doing so, I couldn't help but picture Steve Irwin beating down Godzilla........with nothing but LOVE! (after plying him with beer of course, you know, to cloud his judgement!)

Maybe that's the solution.........reading those threads to brighten up an otherwise rough day!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I think it's the price of the site becoming famous. The facebook promotion, some mass media, some other famous guys posting here (i.e: the new mr. Icke's section just an example), and presto, an avalanche of new contributors that aren't really into the forum...
I have seen this in other communities, also in real life. As a personal example, the chilean twitter community was little at the beginning of this year, we made a nice IRL community, a lot of "friendship" emerged... then the earthquake hit ourselves and all the mass media bombing about what we did on the days after the quake (searching missing people, informing about road damage, the meeting we did to gather founds to help the victims, etc) made a lot of people signing and also joining our personal community... We used to gather at a certain cafe to drink.. well, coffee, and discuss about the world, politics, philosophy and even conspiracies every friday, but suddenly, all this new people killed the original ambience and now I go there to read because I know that no one of the friends I've made on twitter comes there. Ever. Just the newest members goes there and nobody talks to another if it's not from their friends inner circle. In the old times, you were able to talk with everyone, because you knew that everyone had something interesting to talk about. Now it's not.

It's the same. The difference is now we are in one of the points we can choose between accepting the new people in our little world and teach them or let the forum fall into a deep ignorance pit. The choice is ours.

(3:40 here, sorry about my bad spelling, grammar, etc...)
edit on 9-11-2010 by Caggy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

I hear you. I think it's largely a product of people kind of jumping right into things. As I've said, I'm not a longtime member, but I've been lurking and following the site for years. I think it'd be beneficial if more people kind of stepped back when they join. For me, it was largely about respect. I think it's nice to kind of build up slowly, take it all in. I know that's not really the day and age we're in, but it would go a long way. So many of the noob posters are being ridiculed, but it could be avoided. I think there's a lot to be said for taking things slow. Catch up on as much as you can, feel it out, ya know? There's so much information here, it seems a little silly to just jump right in fresh. Again, I think that's why so many are being thrown to the wolves...and particularly why there's so much infighting lately...leading to warnings from staff.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Unfortunately integrity doesnt pay the bills, .... though there must be some sort of line between quality and quantity.

I've noticed the new influx of members to much dismay,

I think if the OP has the right to post whatever they want in complete disregard to logic or common sense, .... then we should have the right to call them out on how retarded they are.

We need an anti-flagging/star-ing system.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Caggy

That's a great example. It really is the price of fame, I guess. It makes me feel like when that band you've always loved but no one knows about finally blows up. haha. Whether it's fair or not, you kind of feel cheated in a way, no?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I was kinda with you for a while but when you cited those 3 threads as examples of your dismay, I noticed one OP was on here for 4 years and the other......over a 1 year. So not sure where the 'newbie' conspiracy comes in (unless you're referring to their posters)

You have to remember also, some 'newbies' are old-bies with new IDs.
Some were banned in the past and started anew (I plead the 5th)
Some also have more than one ID using different proxies.
So I don't think a major ambush is needed.

However, I do think as 2012 approaches and more UFOs are hitting FOX, CNN and political debates, there will be a lot more Wall Street Journal and Soccer-Mom types seeking out alternative sites, such as this, to help sort out WTF may be going on.

And I s'pose we'll be seeing a lot more newbies as a result of the time-frame we're currently living in. I don't believe we've ever had a heads-up to our demise before like we have now
so.....it's all good though

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
ive not been on very long at all but i have noticed a large shift here starting with the latest update of the website. conservatively id estimate at least a 50% drop in quality of information presented from that point on. not sure if they changed the way its organized or what. and the ads are pretty obnoxious. and the 'top members pick' doesnt change for days, even if its a mediocre topic. still fun here but i just dont feel like im learning as much as i used to.

i will agree that theres been an obvious influx of brand new members very recently but i dont neccessarily think its a bad thing. it might mean folks are finally waking up in bigger numbers. as world weirdness ramps up it makes sense more people will be tuning in to sites like this one...as freshmen.

the 'im an alien' threads are of course the most trying for those of us looking for more solid information. im not saying it couldnt happen but some are a bit much. and while im here id love to know whats up with 'there' 'theyre' and 'their'? am i right people?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

EXACTLY. It's the same.

Like this story:
You found this precious band and you bought their album out from iTunes for very cheap because they're indie (or downloaded it for free from MySpace), You've talked about them to your friends, nobody cared except 2 or 3... and just one of them worked for a TV station and decided to put a song (usually your favourite) into a soap opera... Then the band gets famous, signs with a big label, puts all those tracks in a physical CD that's now available in all music stores, and suddenly you can see people wearing the band's t-shirts in the street. You go and ask one why he/she's wearing it and answers: BECAUSE THE LEAD SINGER IS A HOT BABE/HOT BOY!!!. You turn back and walk away... because you loved the lyrics and the music and never noticied that the lead singer was hot. Well, suddenly you realize that you've never seen a picture of the guys/girls of the band till that moment because you just loved the songs, nothing else, and since it's a new band, they're probably just recording their first promotional video...

It had happened to me too

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I just hate that important topics get swept into the recent posts page 3 or 4 within a matter of minutes. Lots of good information is getting missed because every swinging keyboard wants to make a post!

I remember the good old days, when I lurked. Most posts were thought out and researched and discussed in depth. I don't recall "OMGWTFBBQ ALIENS LANDING IN 3 DAYS AT THE LHC, BUSH TO BE THERE!" ever happening.

I'll say it again because I really mean it: Lots of good information is getting lost.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I have to agree with you. Members should not ban members. If you don't like it, don't read it, OK. You cain't say it any sweeter than that.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

i understand, i would hope that people do not see any post as hateful, unless it is so obvious it cannot be anything else. i think our exchange of words proves something, and can be seen by anybody reading the thread, i was not trying to discredit you, and you were not being paranoid. i missed the 'satire' more than likely because of the way i read the O.P. so i was replying on that basis, i am unsure if you really thought i was trying to discredit you, but i was not, i was just pointing out things at the time that i felt were important to say, it was not an attack on you or the O.P. but you thought it was.

it all happens because of the way we read each others posts, and misunderstandings, which was largely on my part. but it happens. it all depends how we read our posts, i am certain we all get different impressions from the same post because of it, there is no tone or emotion involved, WE fill in those bits and that is what leads to some threads becoming battles. we can read a post however we want, angrily or calm, and get two different outcomes.

thinking about a lot of threads i have seen where battles take place i am sure this is what is happening rather than there really being any malice. i apologize for misunderstanding your O.P. but glad i was able to get it, and that this happened, because it really does show the importance of reading a post a few times over before replying to make sure you understand and not assuming every reply is an attack or that we are angry with each other etc..

in real life i am a really calm laid back person, but that will never show up in a post i make because it is the reader who decides what i am, and fills in the gaps of emotion and tone etc.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

No, I feel you. I wasn't worried with being too accurate. I honestly thought everyone would see it as a joke, so it wasn't important. As in every post on here, there's a lot of digging to be done to get to the heart of the matter, my OP included. After the first bit of it, I think we've really started to get some solid discussion going on the state of affairs here. I definitely feel like I've learned some things, especially in terms of the reasoning and reality behind the new members. And that's why we love ATS, no?

I thought the satire would be useful because I think it matters. There's been a lot of new posters and a lot of tension. In the end, though, I really was hoping some of us would appreciate it and get a chuckle. The quality of the discussion is directly indicitive of the legitimacy of the topic, though...which kind of neatly wraps up the point again, I guess. Whether it was a mock conspiracy or not (my OP), the real issue is what has been talked about in the recents posts on the thread here, and the discussion is top notch, in my book.

I think it needed to be addressed, in a form other than a mod or owner telling us we need to stop abusing one another. I just hope some of the newer members will take a look and maybe scale it back a bit...or even present things a little better. As I said a few posts up, I think it'd really do a lot of good if the newer folks kind of took it all in and really thought about things before they jump into the pool. There's plenty on this site I won't get involved in, and I've been a paranormal/ufo/conspiracy freak for most of my life. It's a matter of deferring, really. I guess, being open to the idea that you probably don't know nearly as much as this collective group of folks, especially those who've been doing it for a long time. And also, being willing to pass on things at your discretion for the greater good. I also think it'd be nice if some of the newer members maybe picked the old-timers' brains a bit. Really, I just think we need to understand that as much as we know personally, there's probably scores of members with similarly in depth knowledge...some of it incredibly contradictory and better fielded. If you aren't willing to be disproven or even further - to change your views, then you're kind of missing the boat, you know?

None of that, of course, applies to threads which are intentionally hostile. I'm sorry, but if you make a post claiming you're an alien here to save us, you need to be treated differently than someone who has simply made an error in their research or assumptions or logic.

haha. Cheers.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

[
quote thektotheg:-Post after post of ridiculous nonsense seems to be showing up at a startling rate. I'm far from a skeptic, greatly appreciating the far out topics typically discussed. What I've begun to notice, however, is not just the frequency of these threads in question, but also the reaction. ]

We agree with you. We have lost interest in this site and do not consider it a realistic and reputable site anymore.We only come and browse for any infomation that may not be found elsewhere.There are some intelligent people here with good connections,but the threads are usually afflicted with non-sensical ramblings by those immatured people who like to waste their precious time putting others down.Majority of the thread titles are made without intelligent thought about the subject and are just made so that they can draw people in to talk rubbish.Many others have voiced this and moved to BTS.We just cannot spare the time to entertain those who talk rubbish.

edit to add sentence.

edit on 9-11-2010 by 1Starman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

I couldn't agree more. In my view, you're dead on. I just think there's something wrong with people like us having to pine away for the good old days when we weren't even members. hahaha. Again, life is just too funny, ya know?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I'm just glad someone else has noticed it- I noticed it myself just the other day. I've seen it on a few threads now, that were of a fairly serious topic that was in the news.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Example: over there, right there, there they are, that word describes where to look,(there) NOW, example of their: their books, their toys, their money. description, more than one(their), their cat toys, their dog toys. Now example of they're: meaning, "they are" a contraction. OK. Puzzle solved.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I feel you on that. I especially like that the miscommunicado didn't end up with us bickering back and forth forever and becoming enemies. That's what's kind of lacking - and I'm just as guilty as anyone else. New people are a good thing. If people are waking up, how can we fault them? But, the truth is we're losing civility because some threads are getting out of hand, which unfortunately probably shouldn't have been started in the first place. The thing about most of us is we are very passionate people. That can lead to some explosions, but it doesn't have to be the end all, ya know? You and I were able to clear things up by continuing to talk through it. I worry that too many threads are dead in the water before any knowledge is gained as of late. As some have mentioned, there is a definite lack of quality pieces recently. I dont know about everyone else, but there's a good many occasion where I don't have time to skim through everything, so I'm looking at the threads that are being flagged or are popping up (front page, facebook, etc). It's kind of hard to do that and come away pleased, when so many just don't seem to be of quality.

And again, a lot of that falls on opinion and personal choice. But, also, plenty of it falls on our memberbase not showing restraint or taking the time.

Cheers!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join