It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Has Entered the Food Web, Scientists Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — Scientists say they have for the first time tracked how certain nontoxic elements of oil from the BP spill quickly became dinner for plankton, entering the food web in the Gulf of Mexico.

Full Article

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nick112

The study didn't specifically track the toxic components of the oil that has people worried.

I may be considered fruity to some but this really bothers me. I totally refuse to eat anything out of the gulf now. I pretty much refuse to eat anything out of the ocean. I guess all the organic stuff does what it is supposed to do over time but my fear is all the chemicals and who knows what else was dumped to help make the oil go away.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

I totally agree with you and am scared to death about seafood.
Second line. eh... I want my seafood back but don't trust where it comes from. Sigh.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by madmangunradio

So true. It is sad. Food in general these days are sad. This oil thing really got me thinking. I know that stuff has a natural cycle and all but man made compounds are a different story altogether for me.

For example in my fish tanks I use carbon as one source to remove toxins out of the water from fish waste. After awhile this carbon simply cant do its job and it needs to be replaced. I understand that certain organisms break the carbon down but the impurities do not just simply vanish. They go somewhere. In the gulf I would imagine it is the same scenario just on a larger scale. It just scares the heck out of me and i wish for once somebody would come out with the truth about the situation. All those chemicals went somewhere. I don't believe that they are consumed by the oceans and its organisms and are regurgitated as something good.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

It just scares the heck out of me and i wish for once somebody would come out with the truth about the situation. All those chemicals went somewhere. I don't believe that they are consumed by the oceans and its organisms and are regurgitated as something good.

They went into the above. I don't trust a damn thing our food authority says.. eh... I dont even trust milk anymore. Regardless the label.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I still I eat seafood without worry, but I'd prefer not to eat stuff caught in the Gulf of Mexico.

I mean, when you consider how much different toxic crap humans dump into the oceans every year, the extra amount from the gulf spill is barely a blip on the radar.

And please don't think I'm trying to trivialize the issue, either. We are killing the oceans. It is disgusting.

But that oil spill was just one more in a long line of environmental holocausts, and it wasn't even anywhere near the worst.

And I like seafood.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

I mean, when you consider how much different toxic crap humans dump into the oceans every year, the extra amount from the gulf spill is barely a blip on the radar.

I cant argue with that.

P.S. I would not touch anything from the gulf atm.
edit on 11/8/2010 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
EPA says nothing to worry about lol.

I was looking at some of my subscribed threads and this is one of the articles I found pertaining to this matter. I take it with a grain of salt.

new topics

top topics

join