It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

SCI/TECH: First Effective Treatment for Deadliest Form of Stroke

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Researchers have recently announced discovery of the first effective medical treatment for Intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH), the deadliest form of stroke. Hemorrhagic stroke occurs when a blood vessel bursts inside the brain. If given intravenously within four hours of onset of the stroke, the new treatment limits the amount of brain tissue damage, thus decreasing the chances death and long-term disability by a third.
 


Medical News Today
People who suffer from intracerebral haemorrhage, the deadliest form of stroke, have the first effective treatment, according to a presentation by Novo Nordisk today at the 5th World Stroke Congress in Vancouver. Through the most comprehensive clinical trial on hemorrhagic stroke, NovoSeven® (recombinant Factor VIIa, rFVIIa) has shown to reduce bleeding and have a positive impact on disabilities associated with intracerebral haemorrhage (ICH) when administered early after onset.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

People who suffer from intracerebral haemorrhage, the deadliest form of stroke, have the first effective treatment, according to a presentation by Novo Nordisk today at the 5th World Stroke Congress in Vancouver. Through the most comprehensive clinical trial on hemorrhagic stroke, NovoSeven® (recombinant Factor VIIa, rFVIIa) has shown to reduce bleeding and have a positive impact on disabilities associated with intracerebral haemorrhage (ICH) when administered early after onset.

At present, this drug is not FDA approved for the treatment of ICH, but the process of submission and peer-review is underway

Intracerebral hemorrhage make up around 20% of total strokes, but are the most serious because of the irritation of brain tissue caused by the presence of blood itself, or because the extra fluid inside the skull increases pressure on the brain. The other 80% of strokes result from blood clots that starve the brain tissue of blood.

Stroke is the third largest cause of death in the United States, behind heart disease and cancers, effecting over 700,000 individuals each year. Risk factors that increase the likelihood of stroke include:
* High Blood Pressure
* Excess weight
* Smoking
* Excessive consumption of alcohol

Related News Links
National Stroke Association
Healthtalk – Stroke Treatment
American Stroke Association




new topics
 
0

log in

join