It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please read!! Considering a new puppy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I just wanted to post this here because it is amazing how much the world will bend for money. We will take any animals life for money and have absolutely no consideration for any animals.

This is about puppies and is written by a shelter director, I received it in an email and almost died reading it.

Please, please read this and share it as much as possible.

Yes this is a long article, but if you are considering getting a new puppy, please read this.

UPDATE - Due to the already huge amount of email replies, I want to mention that this is not the words of myself but something that was sent to me and truly touched me, it brought tears to my eyes when reading this, and I felt it should be passed on.  This is from a shelter in California so I believe things in Canada are different to an extent.  But this is the sad truth of people buying puppies for the "novelty".  It is great people on here try to find their animals homes themselves.  I more so wanted to pass this on for the people that are looking to get an animal, so maybe they will understand that they need to be serious about it, for ALL of that animals life.  Thank you.

You can't keep your pet? Really? BY A Shelter Director (Everywhere)
by "Save Our Shelter Animals" MuttShack Animal Rescue
I think our society needs a huge "Wake-up" call. As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all...a view from the inside if you will. First off, all of you people who have ever surrendered a pet to a shelter or humane society should be made to work in the "back" of an animal shelter for just one day. Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused eyes, you would stop flagging the ads on craigslist and help these animals find homes. That puppy you just bought will most likely end up in my shelter when it's not a cute little puppy anymore. Just so you know there's a 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter it’s dumped at? Purebred or not! About 25% of all of the dogs that are "owner surrenders" or "strays", that come into a shelter are purebred dogs.

The most common excuses: "We are moving and we can't take our dog (or cat)." Really? Where are you moving too that doesn't allow pets? Or they say "The dog got bigger than we thought it would". How big did you think a German Shepherd would get? "We don't have time for her". Really? I work a 10-12 hour day and still have time for my 6 dogs! "She's tearing up our yard". How about making her a part of your family? They always tell me "We just don't want to have to stress about finding a place for her we know she'll get adopted, she's a good dog".

Odds are your pet won't get adopted & how stressful do you think being in a shelter is? Well, let me tell you, your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off. Sometimes a little longer if the shelter isn't full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy. If it sniffles, it dies. Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room with other barking or crying animals. It will have to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps. It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it. If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers in that day to take him/her for a walk. If I don't, your pet won't get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its pen with a high-powered hose. If your dog is big, black or any of the "Bully" breeds (pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much dead when you walked it through the front door. Those dogs just don't get adopted. It doesn't matter how 'sweet' or 'well behaved' they are.

If your dog doesn't get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed. If the shelter isn't full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed it may get a stay of execution, but not for long . Most dogs get very kennel protective after about a week and are destroyed for showing aggression. Even the sweetest dogs will turn in this environment. If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection and will be destroyed because the shelter gets paid a fee to euthanize each animal and making money is better than spending money to take this animal to the vet.

Here's a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal being "put-down". First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk happy, wagging their tails. Until they get to "The Room", every one of them freaks out and puts on the brakes when we get to the door. It must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it's strange, but it happens with every one of them. Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 shelter workers depending on the size and how freaked out they are. Then a shelter worker who we call a euthanasia tech (not a vet) find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal dose of the "pink stuff". Hopefully your pet doesn't panic from being restrained and jerk. I've seen the needles tear out of a leg and been covered with the resulting blood and been deafened by the yelps and screams. They all don't just "go to sleep",

When it all ends, your pets corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the other animals that were killed waiting to be picked up like garbage. What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? Or used for the schools to dissect and experiment on? You'll never know and it probably won't even cross your mind. It was just an animal and you can always buy another one, right!

I hope that those of you who still have a beating heart and have read this are bawling your eyes out and can't get the pictures out of your head, I deal with this everyday. I hate my job, I hate that it exists & I hate that it will always be there unless you people make some changes and start educating the public. Do research, do your homework, and know exactly what you are getting into before getting a pet. These shelters and humane societies exist because people just do not care about animals anymore. Animals were not intended to be disposable but somehow that is what they are these days. Animal shelters are an easy way out when you get tired of your dog (or cat), and breeders are the ones blamed for this. Animal shelters and rescue organizations are making a hefty profit by keeping this misconception going.
Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it. I just hope I maybe changed one persons mind about taking their dog to a shelter, a humane society, or buying a dog.

Please share and make sure this thread get read by people. We treat "mans best friend"with very little resurrect anymore and I am so sick and tired of it.

I posted this in the general conspiracies thread to show how much money is involved in stuff like this to the point were any life does not matter, just the money. If it is the wrong forum feel feel to move it.

Please share your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Pred...
edit on 8-11-2010 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I agree with the post. I do love pets and have three of my own that were my first "children".

On the other hand I wish people would put this kind of effort into the preservation of human life around the world.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Every animal that has ever joined our family has been a rescue animal. Twice from a shelter, the rest just tossed away and recovered by us. One cat found us when we were at the beach, which is near the dump. She crawled up, dirty and scrawny, stuck her face in my Bride's margarita and drained about 1/4 of an inch of it. She then curled up in front of the boom box and went to sleep. yah. That was our cat for certain, and we were hers.

thanks for posting this. I knew it went on..... it's just been a while since I thought about it. Where I live, dogs and cats run wild after their "owners" abandon them. I frequently fantasize about staking their so-called owners to a cactus with a half-bowl of muddy water and a few table scraps....... come back in a few days to remind them that that was more than they gave the pet. It's pretty to think about. A few good souls take the pets in and love them. They give me hope.
edit on 8/11/10 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Ten thousand flags for this please!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus
I agree with the post. I do love pets and have three of my own that were my first "children".

On the other hand I wish people would put this kind of effort into the preservation of human life around the world.

I agree that we should be doing this for people too, but, the majority of the people are ruled by corrupt people. Unfortunately we cannot control these actions, I wish we could.

But, again these places where peoples lives are considered expendable go down to money and corruption, usually.

Both sad situations...

Pred...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

For sure.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I was hoping this would not be moved to bts.

Can another mod move this into another forum as genial chit chat is not the forum for this.

This is about how money is more important than lives, which is a conspiracy in and of itself.

Please move to a more appropriate thread where a little more people might see it as this is important.

Thanks.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

This is why every time my husband wants to bring home one of the lease dogs, I put my foot down. He works at an oil company and people come and dump their strays off on his lease for some reason. He begs me to take some home buy no way. I know my limits. I have a full grown basset hound, children, bird, lizard... enough. People need to be acutely aware of what their limits are before they agree to take on a new member of the family.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
There is no difference between animals and us. We are all life who share this planet. We all have the same needs, except humans have toys and war. I feel bad killing a bug because its life.
We humans are the worst animals of all.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBrooklyn
There is no difference between animals and us. We are all life who share this planet. We all have the same needs, except humans have toys and war. I feel bad killing a bug because its life.
We humans are the worst animals of all.

Quoted for truth...

Star for you. I will add you as my friend because that statement had come out of my mouth before.

Absolute truth buddy...

Pred...
edit on 8-11-2010 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabrinaleena

This is why every time my husband wants to bring home one of the lease dogs, I put my foot down. He works at an oil company and people come and dump their strays off on his lease for some reason. He begs me to take some home buy no way. I know my limits. I have a full grown basset hound, children, bird, lizard... enough. People need to be acutely aware of what their limits are before they agree to take on a new member of the family.

I agree. I have a Bassett hound, chihuahua 2 cats and 2 kids. We had a friend that was going to surrender a bulldog because he had dog aggression, so now we have a new member of the family.

I do not agree in a bad dog, we were told this bulldog would attack any dog that came around him, we gave had him for about a month now, and he walks freely at the dog park now. He has plenty of friends and just had owners that did not know how to handle him. He's one of the most loving and friendly dogs I have met.

If he would have been surrendered he would have been put down because of aggression, and with a bit of time it could have been fixed.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
...sadly, its not just domesticated animals - although thats what shelters handle... since they came into being, i've used no-kill shelters for vaccinations, neutering, spaying and to put down very old or sick dogs who were suffering...

...a big problem is that people buy dogs without doing any research and pick one because "oh, its SO cute!"... so they end up with a dog that isnt suitable or one that they're not capable of raising properly...

...my mom is a valid example of this... she has alzheimers - into her 13th year... before i moved here to take care of her, my eldest sister (who lives in the same town) allowed mom to buy a boxer... mom's had boxers before but my dad was around then and he was the trainer and alpha... any dog that falls into the "bully" breed class is simply the wrong choice for anyone in mom's situation...

...when i got here, he was almost a year old - VERY agressive, ruled the roost, would bite her, knock her down, tear up her skin with his claws and take food away from her... i've always had dogs, working class usually, but i had no experience with an out of control dog...

...i called a friend who raises dogs for law enforcement... he said the damage was done and that finding another home for the dog would be irresponsible (which i agreed with) and i'd have to put him down unless i could establish dominance real fast... so, thats what i did - got his nuts cut and kept him on a short leash... he figured out real quick that he was no longer the boss...

...he's a happy boy now - almost 4yrs old, sweet as can be and my constant shadow, even sings with me when i'm pickin on my mandolin... he can say "mama" and "i want it" and he grumbles at me when i get on the phone, lol... it couldve turned out very differently for him if he had mauled my mother (or worse) or if i was a timid person or one that didnt love dogs...

...i've rambled enough, lol... point is - buyer, do your homework...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Damn, makes me want to work at an animal shelter, all the screaming yelping and blood and such as described in the email is just so alluring. The shelter director seemed like he/she was having a great time. I wonder though, if I could use a baton with a small nail at the end, it's my own equipment. Hosing the dogs down with a high-powered hose must be exciting too.. hmm.. Starred and flagged.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I can't tell you how many rescues I have had throughout my lifetime. I currently have a deaf, all white persian cat, a turtle with one eye smaller than the other and a slightly deformed shell, and two adult crested geckos who have since had darling babies.

There are far too many unwanted or abandoned pets. I would ask anyone who can afford to, to please adopt an innocent animal who deserves love.

There are also too many people who will not allow their tenants to have pets. I think if one proves to be a responsible pet owner, they should be allowed to have them.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Just wanted to point out that it isn't an excuse that people who move can't take their pets. You see in papers all the time how landlords do not want pets, no exceptions. I live in fear of having to move to a cheaper place and not being able to find an affordable apartment where I can take my pets with me. I would do everything in my power to find a place where I could bring them with me or find them homes myself.

A couple of years ago i had just lost my job and my husband became disabled. We already had enough pets and couldn't afford to bring in any more. We rescued a beautiful cat and kept her until we could find her a home. We were very lucky. Shelters are often filled to capacity. There are too many animals and not enough people to take them in. It makes me cry.

We used to donate money, food, toys, blankets, paper towels, etc to shelters when we could. Every little bit helps to keep a place going. sadly a cat rescue shelter had to close because of insufficient funds recently.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I also do rescue. We take in the very old and very sick dogs. We make sure that they old men/ladies leave this earth understanding that humans can be trusted, and that they are fully loved. They get the best medical care in Houston, Texas by Dr. Jeff Chalkley at Westbury Animal Hospital. www.westburyvets.com Dr. Chalkley treats all rescue dogs like they were the Westminster Winner. When we have to travel, they are kept in the VIP suites so that you can see them on camera and also here the pet and the staff interactions. These unwanted, throw away pets, get prime treatment from us and our vet. Please, everyone, stop buying pets unless you have done your research. If you like a breed, consider adopting a very old, unwanted dog from a breed rescue or the shelter, these dogs are always destroyed at the shelter right away. Let them end their life with hope and love... this will help you know if you like the breed.

We just lost our 21 year old pug rescue. We had him for 5 years, he was the light of our life. He came from a giant puppy mill in PA, he was sick, blind, unable to walk... most would have destroyed him right away with no home, no teeth, no sight, no ability to be mobile.... But with the excellent medical care of Dr. Chalkley and state of the art technology given to him, and our devotion, he learned to walk, learned to trust, and for the first time, learned to love. He left us in the arms of Dr. Chalkley and myself.... He took with him a part of all of us who work day and night to share with each pet that humans can be trusted, they can love, and they can care.

We have several others, we take 4 at a time, we never ask for a penny to help us, we are willing to work multi jobs to take care of them. If you get a pet, this is a commitment that you must make as well. You would not give away your child, a pet is part of your family, not a throw away product.

Do something today that you would not have considered in the past, THANK YOUR VET for the excellent medical care that they provide you... I don't care if you pay them, they need thanked... you don't know what they are doing to help pets of owners that are short on cash, you don't know the emotional toll it takes on a Vet and their staff each time they lose a pet or rescue.... Give them a hug, give them special thanks, ask them if pet owners in the practice need help with the care of their pets, help a pet owner in need today, support medication or surgery for a needy pet. Help a LOCAL rescue today... PLEASE.

Let's all start showing that mankind can demonstrate love for all of Earth, and everything in it.

Regards,
NASAcrew

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
What a sad sad state of affairs. We humans are such a cruel species to throw away such loving and trusting animals with no excuses but bad excuses.

I have a rescue Staffordshire Bull Terrier. When we went to pick a dog at the SSPCA I said no way am i getting a Staffy. But the thing is it was all Staffs. There were very few dogs that weren't. As soon as i saw my Yume (pronounced you-mee) i fell in love. All the other dogs around her were barking, going crazy. She was nice and quiet, came over when you called her and her tail didn't stop wagging. She's the sweetest and best natured dog ever. She was found as a stray. I hate to think how she got abandoned or for what reasons. Who would want to abandon the sweetest dog ever?

I also rescued a Bearded Dragon recently, Ichigo. He's 4 years old. The guy bought him for his son when his son was only 2. Not a good pet for a kid so young. Then a couple of years ago he got a dog and just forgot about the lizard. I mean, the guy was relying on his 6 year old son to clean it and feed it. The tank smelled like it hadn't been cleaned for 6 months and he was 50% of his normal bodyweight, all skin and bones. Luckily he is the friendliest wee guy ever and is now eating well and putting on weight.

This throw away society makes me sick. A life is a life. We are all part of the same fabric. Causing an animal pain and harm is causing ourselves pain and harm.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
zombies try to feel young playing with a puppy, and then discard it, possibly for a new one.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I know many "dark secrets" about pet stores, pet breeding, cross breeding, "purebreds", pet owners etc.... I have a problem with buying pets. I don't think I could ever do it. It has a sinister history and many people still treat animals like objects for human entertainment. I don't blame kennels, owners (more like consumers) or anyone but IMO animals should at least be chipped so owner could be found. Then again these chips are known to cause cancer, so who would really want that to their animals.

I and my friends have adopted many many stray cats, we feed them, provide them vet care, sterilize.... every little things we can do. We have a vet friend who is on duty non stop fixing the mess behind careless senseless people. There are many stray dogs too... the pure bred ones or pretty ones get easily adopted, you know, huskies, labs, retrievers but the uglier less fortunate breeds not so much. Understandable tho, there's so much of them you can literally chose, I too would prefer lab over some terrier mix with an attitude
. We get bad rep for sterilizing animals because most people are oblivious to the fact stray animals like all other beings multiply and carry countless diseases along with nightmarish parasites. In fact some pet owners should be castrated as well

Anyhow the point is there's so so many homeless animals out there needing help it would break my heart to buy an animal from "pet factories"..... You're one "Add to Cart" link away from a large carnivorous animal.

Oh and btw I had a cat who was euthanized, he was old and had a quite painful cancer. A vet did it in our own home, everyone was there. I am not sure what would make one take an animal to a "death facility"...
edit on 9/11/2010 by SassyCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Thanks for the really great post. Humans seem to be one track minded these days and tend to forget about real issues going on behind the scenes of everyday life. Thanks for the reminder.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join