LHC successfully generates a "mini Big Bang"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
...and the world has not ended.

Source

"This process took place in a safe, controlled environment, generating incredibly hot and dense sub-atomic fireballs with temperatures of over ten trillion degrees, a million times hotter than the centre of the Sun. "At these temperatures even protons and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt resulting in a hot dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a quark-gluon plasma."

A lot was made by doomsday theorists of the Large Hadron Collider conducting this experiment, and unleashing doom/evil/creating an uncontrollable black hole/supernova/Snooki Bieber—the ultimate 21st century destruction mechanism—and what have you. But LHC successfully carried out the collision of lead ions on November 7th, and nothing catastrophic happened.

I remember reading a lot of conspiracy theories/false prophecies, etc, when LHC was to collide protons for the very first time. Nothing disastrous happened that time; nothing earth-numbing has happened this time, either.

Would it be fair to assume now that the scientists at LHC know what they are doing, and spare LHC from future doomsday predictions? Is it possible that some humans are just scared of accepting the heights modern science has reached, and want to clog their minds with theories that scientific research will ultimately prove fateful? Are some people afraid of modern science?
edit on 8-11-2010 by Arrius because: bit o' tinkering

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Have you checked where New Zealand is today?

I wonder if it has always been there..

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This shows us that the Big Bang theory is more then a theory. Thank you science.
I'm glad to live on Earth these days!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Holy mother of....*insert politically correct popular figure here.* You are right! Google Maps is showing New Zealand to the south-east of Australia. But we were taught in class that it was to the west. Or north. Or in another dimension! Something is up!
I remember that thread.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Thank you science.

Do you think this will change anything, though? I mean, will staunch creationists even take note of this? Do you think this success will stop doomsday theorists from connecting imminent doom to any future LHC experiments?

I am not saying everyone should abandon their belief system, and subscribe to the Big Bang theory. It is a theory, after all. But would it really hurt to be more open-minded?

And is it necessary to "see conspiracy" in everything? Is not possible that LHC simply is what it says it is, and conducting experiments to better understand our origins, and is not a flock of maniacs hell-bent on destroying this planet?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
And everybody thought the world would end.

It did end but rebooted successfully.

You may have noticed a slight sense of deja vu for about 1 billionth of second.

Fortunately the universe uses Linux.

Oh dear......

Cosmic...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
no doubt we are all safe because the oxymoron "big bang controlled experiment" is just too obvious to be for real

when these big particle-brained geekwads chamber up their new shooting iron toy with lead bullets, the result will be quark-gluon liquid heated to a billion times the temperature of the sun

which will generate either 1 black hole/second or 1000 strangelets/second, depending on whether or not it is in vulcan micro-gun blackhole wide-swathing mode, or vulcan nano-gun strangelet wide-swathing mode...we are all going to be one 7 kilometer wide lump of extra extra extra neutronium-coated crispy fried no matter which, if all goes according to plan

guess that the big statue of shiva, cern's mascot god of death, standing outside that was donated by india's top shivanator research institute isn't like a clue...what, just because kali isn't jumping up and down on his chest, since they are usually a hindu death god/goddess husband and wife song and dance team?

oh, forgot that it is the butt-end of the kali yuga age...so maybe she is busy primping for the final death variety hour sponsored by cern

twitter.com...

The LHC's first lead ion collisions were seen by the ALICE, ATLAS and CMS experiments last night. Stable beams coming soon.
7 minutes ago via HootSuite

to quote the mad Egon scientist in the original "Ghostbusters" movie:

“Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought"

after all, each of us is now wearing an unlicernsed nuclear accelerator on our backs

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

I, sort of, sang that to myself.

It's gonna get stuck in my head all night now...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by necramericanomicon
no doubt we are all safe because the oxymoron "big bang controlled experiment" is just too obvious to be for real

I never looked at it that way!

Choosing to have that statue of Shiva there is interesting, but not that extraordinary. He is known as the "destroyer," (Brahma = Creator, Vishnu = Protector, Shiva = Destroyer) but he is still a God, and a destroyer of evil, to be precise. I say it's interesting, because he is the more Gothic of that trinity, if I can put it that way. But not extraordinary because he is a revered deity, and widely regarded as the easier-to-please & "reachable" of the three, etc.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arrius

Originally posted by necramericanomicon

I never looked at it that way!

Choosing to have that statue of Shiva there is interesting, but not that extraordinary. He is known as the "destroyer," (Brahma = Creator, Vishnu = Protector, Shiva = Destroyer) but he is still a God, and a destroyer of evil, to be precise. I say it's interesting, because he is the more Gothic of that trinity, if I can put it that way. But not extraordinary because he is a revered deity, and widely regarded as the easier-to-please & "reachable" of the three, etc.

shiva? really? what oppenheimer called himself when the trinity bomb went off, that fermi was taking bets for either it blowing up most of the southwest or just new mexico? that ed "mad h-bomber" teller took for his inspiration when he wanted to create an armageddon weapon, but eisenhower didn't see the military application for something that would wipe out the military and wouldn't fund it?

you think that the outer-spacernians told his trio-mates brahma and vishnu to take a hike because shiva is the frontman and they just carry his baggage?

maybe you just don't understand where they are coming from...try watching french priory de sion grand master jean cocteaus' film noire "orphee" on youtube...i just watched it again, since somebody finally posted it with english subtitles

like orphee, they consider themselves to be poets of the rarest talent, above us of the ordinary human ken....and physically in love with death itself

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Holy mother of....*insert politically correct popular figure here.* You are right! Google Maps is showing New Zealand to the south-east of Australia. But we were taught in class that it was to the west. Or north. Or in another dimension! Something is up!
I remember that thread.

There's been a few of them haha, sometimes funny, sometimes frustrating, but always memorable

Gotta love people who have vague recollections of an atlas going "Heyyy that's different from what I remember in high school!! OMG!!!" lol

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life

WHAT THE HELL!!! Why am I still on windows then? No wonder I keep crashing. *points as 12m8keall2c - I is not, you are I say!! See.. I.. Oh wait* Ahem, anyhoo..

Maybe I should have paid for my window, then my roof might stop falling on me - if only call of duty would support linux..

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

reply to post by Cosmic4life

I, sort of, sang that to myself.

It's gonna get stuck in my head all night now...

Hum the tune would ya, I feel it's on the tip of my tongue, but .. you know how it is.. haha

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Would it be fair to assume now that the scientists at LHC know what they are doing

Of course they know what they're doing.

But chances are, given who is involved, it is for evil purposes.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I just have one question. What on this earth could withstand ten trillion degree's? That is the temperature produced in this experiment. Even for just a split second that is far to much heat for any earthly material. Maybe someone could explain this to me.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

While I do believe the Big Bang theory, this doesn't prove it happened.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is just scientists trying to create what they think were the conditions after the BB, based on their models.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I agree with Russ1969, if this did occur, wouldn't it have started a China Syndrome type of disaster?
2nd

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by russ1969

The materials involved in the collision are single particles, EXTREMELY tiny. My guess is that a with a single atom, even at trillions of degrees, the heat gets distributed so much that the effect on the surrounding environment would be negligible.

Of course, I'm not a physicist. I'm only speculating, so I could be wrong.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
While this experiment was a success, it seems as though people are forgetting that there were conscious observers conducting the process... This doesn't answer the question, "How can something be formed from nothing?" When the real BB happened, there was "nothing" conducting the process.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by BobbinHood

OK that makes sense.

Thanks. .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join