It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 eerily specific world events "predicted" by comic books

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Cracked.com article

Ok so normaly i wouldnt make a post out of a article i read on cracked.com, but after reading this article it just made me want to share. link to the full article is at the top of the post. What really got me about this article was how many of the comics were done by the same person. i hope you all find this as interesting as i did, here are a few just to get you started. (i will be quoting the article but not transfering pictures)

#6.The Top-Secret Creation of the Atomic Bomb

A Superman comic from 1945 showed Lex Luthor creating an outlandish new device to instigate chaos in the city of Metropolis

While the comic was being written, scientists were secretly working on the first A-bomb. To maintain the secrecy of the project, the Defense Department ordered DC Comics to pull the story. Yes, apparently, the Pentagon feared the Japanese might see the comic, go, "Holy # what if that's a real thing?!" and then build anti-nuclear domes around all their cities. Or something.

Now the government, being the government, didn't tell the folks at DC why specifically they wanted the comic pulled. For all DC knew, the comic was pulled because J. Robert Oppenheimer was secretly working on a Superman. They wouldn't even learn for another year that a real atomic bomb was being developed, and even then, the similarities between the real A-bomb and Luthor's weren't exactly obvious

It Gets Creepier:

We mentioned that DC Comics had no idea what it had done wrong ... and that's exactly why, a few months later, they did it again. An ongoing storyline in the Superman newspaper strip showed a skeptical physics professor blasting Superman with a cyclotron (a type of particle accelerator) to find out if he's really as invulnerable as he says

This was in April 1945, only four months before Hiroshima and Nagasaki, when the Manhattan Project had reached such a critical stage that anything related to atomic energy was being censored by the government. But because of the daily nature of the comic strip, by the time the secret service contacted DC Comics, the first few chapters had already been sent to several newspapers across the country. It was too late to stop them from printing the strips, and that is why today we live in a world ruled by the Nazis.

Actually, no, somehow the Japanese weren't tipped off by the mention of atomic energy in a Superman strip, presumably because they were too distracted preparing defense mechanisms against Popeye and those sleeper agents in Family Circus. Still, the Secret Service forced DC to abort the ongoing cyclotron story line. So, instead of, you know, going anywhere with the whole pre-existing atomic energy story line, the comic ended when Superman abruptly decided to play a game of baseball with himself.

So, within a period of a few months, two different writers working on the same character got in trouble with the government for accidentally trying to spoil the same super-secret government project -- and one of them actually did it. The War Department asked DC to monitor its own comics from then on, ignoring the fact that at that point, DC would've needed Level 1 access to the Pentagon to know what it was they couldn't have Superman do.

#2.The End of the Cold War

In 1976, DC published a special comic that imagined what would happen if Superman arrived on Earth in that year and grew up to become an adult in the distant future of 2001 (which is pretty much the time line current Superman comics follow, if you stop to think about it).

Whatever happened to those strato-jets you used to hear so much about in 2001?

The comic seems especially concerned with politics -- it starts with the Russian and American armies competing to reach the UFO carrying baby Superman. After the U.S. manages to secure the spaceship, they begin experimenting on it by shooting lasers at the baby's face.

"Why would that be your first test?!"

While the story's attempts to bring more realism to the Superman mythos are pretty clumsy and laughable, that only makes it more impressive that they got one thing right: The comic predicted the Cold War would end around 1990.

Some of the details are a little off, though.

Bear in mind that this story was written in 1976, when relations between the U.S. and the USSR were still very tense -- the Vietnam War had ended only one year earlier, and the Soviet war in Afghanistan was still to come. At the time it seemed plausible that the conflict would either stretch for many more decades or end in an armed confrontation. Most pieces of speculative fiction published during this period (including Watchmen) involved nuclear attacks -- this is one of the few pieces of fiction created during the Cold War where the war ends thanks to diplomacy.

And a flying boy in underpants.

It Gets Creepier:

Later, in 2001, America's new enemies (from an unspecified nation) send a deadly weapon to the heart of New York City. The flying terror came in the shape of ...

... a four-armed android called Moka. Moka hopes to fool humankind into submission, but Superman exposes him as a phony and punches him to death. The grateful New Yorkers erect a monument in Superman's honor.

Something tasteful.

It's like the writers got a real vision of the future but were highly intoxicated at the time, so all the details were warped almost beyond recognition. So, OK, they didn't get anywhere near predicting 9/11, which would have been pretty creepy ...

thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
John Byrne, legendary comic book artist & writer(he has worked on probably every mainstream superhero character you could name) once wrote a letter to Skeptic magazine(in response to in article in Scientific American about the "Bible code" ala Drosnin) wherein he noted that throughout his career he seemed to have an uncanny knack for predicting real life events before they actually occurred. A few examples were when he did a Wonder Woman story in which his cover art was a faux newspaper proclaiming "Princess Diana dead" or some such and the issue premiered the same week that Princess Diana of Wales died in a car accident.
There have been literally dozens of similar 'eerie predictions' by Byrne over his career but Byrne himself(a reader of Skeptic magazine) explains that the only way you could even begin to suppose anything weird or eerie about this is if you discount the thousands and thousands of comic book stories and covert art pieces he has done which resulted in nothing correlating to any real life events.

Long story short, the future cannot be predicted because it does not even exist. Events that will take place in the future do not take place until they take place. The only way someone could predict future events is if the events themselves were not actually "future" but instead had already occurred and were witnessed by someone.

Time does not work in this way.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SkeleTony

yeah i guess i should of prefaced this in my op, i do not beleive that these are in any way real prophecys but just sheer random hapenstance interesting and slightly odd but still just random events.

thank you and good day night depending on your location in this universe.

new topics

join