It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the most practical form of martial arts to know for...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFlowers

I'm looking for something that you can learn quickly that focuses more on self-defense, and is good to know if someone that was very dangerous dangerous, say, came to your apartment and tried to kill or hurt you or your family.

Thanks in advance

To be frank here:

Training in martial arts is a long-term endeavor. There is no quick and dirty to it. There are pieces that can be learned quickly that MAY make a difference (reference self-defense courses for women) but bear in mind that most attacks will end up with you and your attacker on the ground in less than one minute and if you cannot prevent that (or alternatively, are not prepared for that) than the likelihood of successfully fighting an attacker who is bigger/stronger than you are, from the ground, becomes slim.

I'm not discouraging the idea, in fact, I think it's well worth the time and that you will get more from it than you can imagine (over time) but do not rely on it (early on) unless you are in advanced stages of training, you are more dangerous to yourself because one THINKS they know more or can do more than they actually can. Above all else, you must be realistic. Understand yourself, what you can and cannot do (physically and mentally) it matters.

edit on 8-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I would also like to add, ...

one of the easiest ways to defend oneself, ... is when being approached, wether you think the person is an attacker or not, .... is to put your keys between your fingers, making a " key knuckles" of sorts. one strike to the face or eyes then run.

When defending oneself one cannot worry about the possible damage inflicted on the attacker, .. they would not have the same pity on you.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

first off, i'm not knockin' your post.. i can understand, how it would seem that a hold might not be right, or how someone who's new, might need a pointer..and thanks for pointing that out, but that being said...

a) i know what i'm doing. and have done it along time... way too much damage to this old body over the years and i've studied way more than i listed. i was a bounty hunter, repo man, bouncer and body guard. and that was my fun job.

b) you've obviously never had to choke out a coked up drug dealer who was looking at spending the next ten years in prison.

the problem is most people study or take classes.. whatever.. and have it in their heads, they know what to do, and can do it..the real world doesn't work that way.

in the real world, when you try to choke someone out, they don't just stand there. they try their best to put the back of your favorite head through the wall.

and i'm not saying YOU, that's a generalization of people who watch way too much tv. you could well be a hand to hand or close quarter instructor... i dunno.. i'm talking about people who've watched one to many episodes of the ultimate fighter and now think they're a bad mama jama... when they've never been in a fight before..or worse, have fought in a ring.. but never on the street.. (big difference).. and i'm willing to bet my last penny, that some of those people are posting on this thread...

like i said, telling this lady she should learn to choke out a larger possibly drugged up, out of his mind attacker, because they've seen royce gracie do it shows a lack of regard for her safety.

seems like some are just posting to be posting... if she were a grown man, my size and strength, i'd say go for chokes and joint manipulation... that'd be fine... but she isn't and should work to her personal physical abilities...
edit on 8-11-2010 by notsofast because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofast

I'm just speaking from a biological standpoint. Once those carotid arteries are pressed off, it won't matter if you're on PCP, you're still going down the same as someone thats not high. Probably quicker considering the stress put on the body. But I understand it would be a lot harder to get someone in that position if they were drugged up.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
krav maga. pretty aggressive but no problem in putting down everyone.
it's one thing israelis are pretty good at.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SFlowers

I dont know where you are in New York State but i'll try offer some suggestions if you're after self defense then you want unarmed combat not a traditional art,theres a lot of suggestions of Brazilian Jujitsu but that is an art that takes years to master plus it focuses on ground fighting,the ground is NOT where you want to be in a street fight for your purposes I suggest either the Charles Nelson School of Self defense in New York which teaches unarmed combat using tried and tested methods from World War 2 onwards,Richard Dimitris Senshido if he has a class nearby or Kelly Mc Cann if he has a school or representative in the area,failing that Krav Maga would be the best martial art to learn rudimentary defence in a short period of time.Most martial arts have too much of a 'sport' component and do not focus on reality training to properly prepare you for a violent confrontation.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
My advice to the OP would be not to worry about finding the 'best' martial art, just go and do something. Theoretically someone could argue that Brazillian Ju Jitsu is the ultimate martial art but that really doesn't matter if there are no classes in your area or the teachers available are really bad.

I have experience of Tai Chi Chaun, where the slight, 5 feet tall masters where almost supernatural in their ability to disable any sized opponent but this took many, many years for them to learn and for me it was very slow paced.

I have found the faster pace of Taekwondo more suitable for building confidence in self defence situations. A big part of this training centres around developing your awareness and avoiding the self defence situations in the first place, using the techniques you learn is a last resort when all else fails. This is also why if you have tried everything but someone is still determined to attack you, you cannot worry about how much you hurt them. That is the reality of survival.

So look what's available in your area, take that as a starting point do something now!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but telling a girl to learn jiujutsu for self protection is ludicrous. Grappling is the last thing you want to do with a stronger opponent. Plus her smaller hand size will make it harder to effectively control larger joints and limbs or maintain a powerful grip. Idiots. I also would recommend wing chun which is excellent for women, or at least a soft style that stresses other forms of attack that dont rely on strength or mass for power. Something utilizing elbows, feet, and knees, and targeting eyes, throat, and trachea. Of course, as had been pointed out, all this is impractical without at least 6 to 8 months of study and sparring, so the best option is, indeed a gun, preferably a revolver, .38, low kick, easy to use, and won't jam.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The ancient art of smacking someone in the head repeatedly. Forget trying to restrain someone, ignore anyone telling you that you should be pinning people, that’s not self defence. Even if you’re a big guy, you’re going to come up against absolute monsters and trying to grapple against them or restrain them is a complete waste of energy.

The only way to efficiently “stop” someone like that is by switching them off at the mains, through repeated strikes to the head/neck area or better yet, a bullet. Take up something like boxing and go to the gym often. Find someone huge at the gym and train with them, get some experience with fighting much bigger men.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Best martial art is having a gun

and lotsa ammos

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
Best martial art is having a gun

and lotsa ammos

You mean like this?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
If you want to see lots of different martial arts demonstrated then you should try and get hold of the British TV series "Mind Body and Kick Ass Moves" where the presenter travels all over the world trying out different martial art systems. It's a great series!

Theres loads of it on youtube

Heres a bit about Okinawa Karate

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

lol exactly

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Here is something else that they could learn

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Hope you don't mind if I simply answer the question. My answer would be taekwon-do. It's pretty common to find a near-by class and it encourages strong and flexible legs.

Allow me to share the Taekwon-do oath:

I shall observe the tenets (integrity) of Taekwon-do
I shall respect the instructor and seniors
I shall never misuse Taekwon-do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
I shall build a more peaceful world

Maybe buy yourself a suitable punch bag (which you can also kick) and you can practice everyday. I'm not even 11 stone but I could easily take someone much bigger down, long enough to avoid any more violence because I am fast and work on techniques.

Good luck with that

Peace

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Watch Bas Ruttens self defense videos
pay close attention to the groin/liver kicks. That should do the trick.. also practice his kicking style.. any time you strike someone the goal is to swing through the target for maximum damage.

EDIT: NO TAEKWONDO... don't listen to that guy. taekwondo is all flash and no substance.. It won't help in a real fight any more than kicking and punching air every night before you go to bed. look up Jose Cansecos mma debut if you want to see taekwondo in action.
edit on 9-11-2010 by kronnikx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I think the crouching Rifle hidden Pistol technic is the most affective.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Beyond Creation

Taekwondo is the weakest martial art that exists man. It requires no skill or ability at all. Sorry to break the news to you but it really is lame. You should just try some tai chi.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Firstly may i say cudos to you for looking at some form of defense for the lady in question and secondly so far as not wanting to hurt anyone my eldest son is exactly the same yet he and his two younger brothers do ju jitsu and this has solved a few bullying problems at school and in the streets and has helped enormously with his self confidence.
Some one earlier said that this may not be a good idea for one lacking in upper body streangth atm but there are means and ways around this in the art of ju jitsu as she goes onto gain that.
Its an art that can be as gentle or as vicious as the situation needs to be or what she judges to be needed at any given time, also it will teach techniques of form over power in many areas either she finds her self on the floor g-d forbid or is being attacked upright, from a single or multiple opponent incorporating strikes, holds and weapons training to name but a few.
Stay away from karate its basically line dancing ( katas ) especially GKR its really no use unless you are fighting someone else doing the same style Aikido is ok and once up in the black belts and above can be quiet effective, Krav Maga is viscous from the onset and can overwhelm a gentler natured person and is basically ju jitsu with all the polish and ceremony taken away.
The best ideas i have read so far are for her to try as many styles as you can take her to and leave the ju jitsu until last and i will admit i am being bias tbh where this form is concerned as its the one i have always come back to in the end as i can use this with an arthritic neck,back and hips still with some effectiveness and adapting what i know.
Alternatively as one very wise person said there is the very secretive art of ecki thump used by northern English working class menfolk involving flat caps, wippits and a black pudding i have said too much already ( i jest btw )

Good luck to you and peace

weavs

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
As you'd expect, a different form practised by each person is a different opinion put on here.
I've done Taekwondo for just on 40 years now. I've held National titles and a couple of international ones. I hold a third Dan in TKD and am also a first Dan black belt in Judo. I instruct in both as well as general self defence for women.
Truth is, that no style will help you if you're expecting some guy at your door next week. Any style worth learning will take time to learn. Forget the suggestions I've read here of learning in so many weeks and such. It just isn't that easy.
There's no point in trying to master any form of martial art unless you are willing and able to go to the lengths it takes to learn years of teaching.
I would suggest going to a womens self defence class. There, instead of learning how to do a spinning round house kick with a triple punch combination... which takes years to master... you will learn how to kick him in the crotch and chop him in the throat and run like hell. A lot more effective for a lady who doesn't have the time or upper body strength to learn one of the martial arts.
Let's face facts... up until recent times... the only people trained in martial arts were men as they had the strength to carry out the moves. Women learning martial arts is a relatively new concept and even the best generally cant mix it with the guys in competition.
Even without any lessons at all... keep in mind... hits to groin and the throat, and a knife hand lunge or gouge of the eye gives bonus points. Dont try what some others have said and match your strength against his with a bloody choke hold. He'll rip your hands away and do what he wants if you try that. The aim is to disable and run like hell. Also keep in mind to make as much noise as you can. Yell, scream... whatever. More people will run to your aid if you yell fire than if you yell rape.
So, fingers to the eyes, knee/foot to the groin, chop or punch to the throat. Run like hell.
May peace be with you.
Take care... message me if you'd like to discuss... I'm available to help.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join