It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Publish or Perish” vs. “They are just trying to sell a book!”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I feel there is an obvious dichotomy between the treatment of Scientist, that are willing to publicly state their interest in the UFO phenomena, and the accepted Scientific disciplines. This post will be filled with more questions than answers. Mainly because what I experienced, left me with nothing but questions. My search for answers, have exploded this set of questions exponentially. I will attempt to start a discussion about this difference in treatment and why it does not make sense to me. My first quest is to understand the higher/double standards in which Scientist and Researchers, that are willing to study the phenomena openly, are held to against other publicly sanctioned Disciplines in the realm of acceptable and publicly sanctioned "Science."

“Publish or Perish” vs. “They are just trying to sell a book!”

My degrees and back ground is in Finance. Hindsight proves that it turned out to be a bad choice for me, but what do you do? It’s beside the point I want to make but pertinent to an analogy I would like to make. Has anyone had to study Economics as a required subject for their Major? None of the Economic theories can be proven, because it would be unethical to experiment with a Nation’s economy in order to prove a theory.

Yet check out the core requirements of all Business/Accounting Majors. They all require Economics in order to graduate. Have you ever asked yourself why Universities require studies into “best guess” economic theories? Business majors are not the only ones that have Economic Science as part of their “pre-req” courses.

Yet, every board I have visited/lurked/read has a thread from a self-proclaimed skeptic demanding an unobtainable proof of alien existence. Wish they would demand that from Economic Theorists. Maybe the Global Economy wouldn’t be in the mess it’s in today?

Another question I have is about the difference in the academic demand for Professors, in our Colleges and Universities, to “Publish or Perish” in order to obtain tenure. Yet when a person, from a scientific background spends decades of their lives studying a “fringe” subject, they are dubbed as charlatans only out to make money off of book sales? Seriously? Not every book reaches the NY Post #1 best seller, level of Stephen King or Michael Creighton. Why should these people live in destitution while they work their asses off to bring us information? Why does their work have no value? This argument makes no sense to me, so I’m probably not expressing this well.

Let me express my thoughts this way: “I think that I will go to my Son’s school tomorrow, and tell the principle that in order to be a “True Educator,” they must first not accept payment for their vocation, or it is proof they are just trying to make money in the Education System. Next Sunday, I will tell my Pastor that I will never tithe again because he is only trying to con me out of money because I accepted God as a matter of fact and not just some urban legend.

Of course I will do neither. Just attempting to point out the ridiculous notion that UFO Researchers and Scientists, that are willing to put their livelihood on the line, should be Philanthropists in order to be believed. So far, I have not found any of their names on the Forbes Top 500 list, have you? Also, would you sacrifice your name, your profession and your livelihood for any cause whatsoever? Most would not, these brave people have.

Quite honestly, I have found more evidence of lives and livelihoods destroyed than I have of any profit made by the ones brave enough to come forward. Are there any answers for this sad situation? In my honest and frank opinion, MUFON is a team of amateurs that appear to be a social club of the disenfranchised. I don't think calling the police, the military, or the airport authorities do anything other than having your evidence confiscated or your life/livelihood threatened. Next time I experience something? I want to call a "Multi-discipline Team of Scientists." Yet, that is not available to any of us, because their lives would be ruined. It's the continuing circle of lies.

How do we break through this? How do we get what many in this community knows, out in the open for serious investigation and study? How can we free our Scientist to be able to openly study this phenomena? Will we ever rise up and get this resolved? Will we forever want disclosure, yet do nothing to achieve this goal?

Thank you for reading, please add your thoughts to an untenable situation.
edit on 8-11-2010 by SunshineLaws because: Changed Title

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Great post!

I happen to agree. I think people who come out and tell their stories are quite brave for risking their lively hood and some possibly their life to get their stories and truth out there. I know some sell books and make money but it doesn't bother me. If their way of living involves say researching the Pyramids and that is all they do then why not get paid for that hard work in the end? They too need to earn a living.

Not all people who tell these stories are liars and money hungry people, they are just people trying to get the truth out and well let's face it the truth hurts and most can't handle the truth so those who tell it are labeled as crazy or insane or in need of mental help. It's quite bothersome to me and I wish people would accept others more but that would mean a big change and people just don't seem to want it.

Some of my favorite authors aren't even well known but they write about my favorite topics! It's about the content to me yet again, not their fame.

new topics

join