It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STD Test? There's an App for That

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

STD Test? There's an App for That

www.observer.com

British health officials are hard at work on a new app that will allow users to pee into their cell phones and find out within minutes if they have an STD.

Seriously, we could not make this stuff up if we tried.

According to The Guardian, 4 million pounds have been invested in the UK Clinical Research Collaboration, which is creating a smartphone app that will allow users, "to put urine or saliva on to a computer chip about the size of a USB chip, plug it into their phone or computer and receive a diagnosis within minutes."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is fantastic. Who thinks of things like this? If they can do this ... Imagine. Phones will be used for pregnancy tests, Dna and diabetes check tools..

This is amazing. I need to repeat.. who the hell thinks of stuff like this??

Imagine peeing on your phone to get a test.... I think I might be in shock.. I still haven't fully processed this.

If it's really that simple, why wait till after the deed is done? Wouldn't it make more sense for prospective partners to swap fluids before hand, get a reading on their cell phones, and then decide whether or not to "finish the download"?

I am picturing standing there, both looking at the phone, both with fingers crossed awaiting the results.

www.observer.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Are you kidding me? Who is going to pee on a computer chip then stick that back into their phone. Ridiculous. Walk into a doctor's office.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Resurrectio

repopulation tool, NICE! imagine so you clean baby yea are you yea well......THE REST IS HISTORY

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I find this kind of disturbing but who am I to judge. You would never catch me taking a wiz in my phone. This almost promotes unsafe sex. They should make an app that discourages this type of stuff, not endorsing it. Anything is fair though if it makes money I guess.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I agree that this is totally ludicrous...

However, STD tests in all Canadian cities are 100% free with no ID required...
Worst part is waiting their 2 weeks for results

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Are you kidding me? This will be the single most important tool in my arsenal... Other than my kids.. "points down" he is the most important little guy in my life" yes I said little - hung like a shetland gerbil... I would use the app (hopefully) once a week. All joking aside.. This will open the door for much more helpful apps. How about the "oh crap am I pregnant app"

How about a woman being able to find her fertile dates just by peeing on it.

A man being able to check his sperm count.

Endless possibilities!

Someone brought up the sterile part of this? I am sure there will be something in place so you dont get a little drip of urine dripping off your ear.

The real question here is - Can you take a call waiting call while administering the test?

This is a rough crowd... Not one flag?? Some guy in his moms basement with a grainy ufo photo gets flagged out of control.. and my STD test find is a flag fail?
edit on 11/8/2010 by Resurrectio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well, you're not exactly "peeing into the phone" if they're talking about a USB device that you connect to your phone...which would also mean you could connect it to your computer as well, which really would be a lot smarter....

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Who didn't see this cumming? BBC's Tomorrow's World featured toilets that would diagnose health problems almost 30 years ago, the Japanese have been working on toilets, well those guys just like toilets.

It's not a bad idea at all, your title and our toilet sense of humour does make it an interesting story - but really we are getting flexible useful powerful computing devices entering our lives all the time, people use them for face book and text messaging, really they could probably handle all the 3D computer graphics design from any early 90's feature film.... Why not use that? It means sales of the tester kits, you buy pregnancy tests and pee on them, what's the big deal? Diabetics have been monitoring blood sugar levels for years by dipping strips in body fluid (blood) and shoving them in a little digital device.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Rahjian

Instead of checking your stocks online daily.. Walk into your brokers office! Instead of checking the weather, walk outside. Instead of checking Gander Mountain for deals.. Drive to the store. Instead of buying tickets online, Go wait in ticketmasters line. See how one sided and silly that statement was?

Convienences will dominate.. You may not have a need for this... But I will bet it is a top selling app!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Would you be able to post your results immediately to your facebook account?

In all seriousness, the only problem I can see is how easy it might be to get a hold of someone else's information. I'd be scared of my cell being used against me (not that it probably can't be already). Does that make sense? I don't feel like I'm phrasing it right...dang it.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It'll be the ultimate dating accessory.

"Whoa whoa whoa, slow down
there big boy. I need you
to uh, um ... talk to
my phone first."

David Grouchy
edit on 8-11-2010 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Rahjian

Gee, whose gonna spend $10 bucks to pee on a stick in their own home to find out if their having a baby in less than 10 min? Go to you doc's office, pay a $35 copay, wait in a waiting for room for 30 min to an hour, get put in an exam room and wait another 15-20 minutes, then take your test, and wait however long it takes to get your result. Geez, people, it's that easy!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

Facebook notification should be mandatory...

Name
John Doe likes herpes

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Resurrectio

John Doe
"Everybody clap because I ain't got it!"

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I don't think I could actually bring myself to pee on anything the put into my phone or computer. Plus the first version of this is bound to be somewhat, well glitchy. Considering the fact that STD tests can give a false positive/negative (std.about.com... ) depending on the test the doctor sends for, I won't be relying on a phone to tell me I need medication.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Pretty mad, I bet they offer pregnancy tests etc with it as well.

I was just thinking about how far this might go as a health tool etc for the future.

They could upgrade phones with built in colon testers as well, they could have it with a Stephen Hawking type voice that would say "You have piles", "You have eaten too much sprouts" among other things.

At airports you would know if there was any suspicious smugglers with anything up there butts as they are smuggling things in with phones these days, they would be walking past you with there backsides constantly saying "Crack, Crack, Crack!".

edit on 8-11-2010 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resurrectio

How about a woman being able to find her fertile dates just by peeing on it.

there is an app for that it's called My Days on droid

It plots your period and tells you your most fertile days, no peeing required!

I for one would not pee on something and then stick it into my phone. That can't be clean or sanitary.

link   
reply to post by angrymomma

John Doe - We apologize, Facebook has decided to use a flood control. You have added to many std's today. Try again in 24 hours.

link   
HAHAHA!!

Finally!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join