It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Opinions: Tylenol CAUSING Pain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Hey guys,

Whenever I take Tylenol (Or variations) I get shooting pains up and down my forearms. Its extremely hard to describe and my doctors have no idea what it is doing to me. It's as if there was a rubber band inside my arm and someone was stretching it to breaking point slowly over hours and hours until the drug wears off. Or like the veins in my arms are constricting.

I have searched online for answers but type in Tylenol in Google and other sites and all you get is a bunch of corporate mumbo jumbo. Type in "Tylenol + Pain + Causing" and it gets nothing helpful.

I have been having this happen for the last few years whenever I take Tylenol or any variation of medications with Acetaminophen in it.

And let's not just respond with "If it hurts dont take it!"
It has so many names these days sometimes I take something without realizing what medications they are.

Any opinion is welcome.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I'm no expert.... So take this with a grain of salt...
But don't drugs like Tylenol reduce swelling and inflammation by restricting blood flow???
seems to me if you already had bad circulation this would only exacerbate rather than help...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Are you taking anything else other than tylenol? Tylenol is supposed to relieve pain not induce it. This is odd. Do your arms just hurt while your doing nothing or is it when you move them? Is the pain constant or does it come and go? Is the pain underneath or on top of your forearm? Some details would be helpful. My first guess is that it is either small muscle cramps or maybe your tendons/ligaments could be drying out.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
That is certainly odd. My best advice would be to stop taking it. I am not sure what would cause this pain. I stopped taking any type of pain killer a long time ago. It is a shame that the people in power push this poison on the population.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
After Tylenol moved all their manufacturing to China they went downhill in quality.

Get your Tylenol bottle and check it online and see if its part of their massive recall by its batch number/expiration date. Chances are it is.

Don't trust the Chinese to make your food, your pet food, or your medicine. They have a track record of poisoning items they are exporting to America.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I would stop taking it until you identify what, exactly, is causing the pain. Tylenol doesn't have any mechanistic ability to cause pain. It's part of a class of drugs called NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). It inhibits a protein called COX-2 (cyclooxygenase-2) that is responsible for producing prostaglandins, chemical that sensitive you to pain. That's all Tylenol does, nothing more. Of course, it's always possible to have an allergic reaction, but in your case, it doesn't sound anything like that.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Actually Tylenol is not an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. But it should not cause pain however.
www.tylenol.com.../arth/subfalert.inc
edit on 8-11-2010 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It could be have to do with the main nerve running through the arm. Nerve pain can do some odd things.

oops, misread.

edit on 8-11-2010 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Actually Tylenol is not an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. But it should not cause pain however.
www.tylenol.com.../arth/subfalert.inc

Eh, it depends on which sort of classification you're looking at. Yes, classically, aceteaminohen/paracetamol is not an NSAID. That being said, it works via the same mechanism at the same enzyme site and acetaminophen DOES have some level of anti-inflammatory action. So, yes, strictly speaking, you are correct. However, there is still absolutely no reason for Tylenol to cause pain, as it works via the EXACT same mechanism as more potent NSAIDs.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Don't apply so much pressure when opening the bottle.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

I agree with the second part of your post.
Maybe the OP needs an NSAID, because if any muscle is swollen it could be causing pressure on nerves.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Tylenol is a poison.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Tylenol is a poison.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Maybe it's increasing your blood pressure? Other than that, maybe hypertension.

Tylenol isn't a blood thinner, aspirin is. So.. I don't know. I'm more confused with the bit about your doctor saying they have "no idea". Maybe see a new doctor.. you're paying them, so they're supposed to figure it out. It's not like a wal-mart clerk saying "no idea" to something in stock.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Did you know Paracetamol/Acetaminophen is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world?

And: recommended doses of Tylenol given to healthy subjects for two weeks can cause mild to moderate reversible liver injury.

A rare autoimmune reaction to glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 (GAD65), one of the chemicals produced by this type of liver disorder, can result in painful muscle spasm.

Acetaminophen Toxicity

Acetaminophen should be respected as a drug with severe toxicities. Liver failure from acetaminophen overdose is the most serious side effect and can vary from mild to severe. The extreme case is seen in acute liver failure, which includes coagulopathy and encephalopathy. In one study 27% of these patients died without liver transplantation. In healthy adults, a dose of 4 g daily can cause alanine aminotransferase (ALT) elevations within 1 week.

Acetaminophen was also shown to increase the risk of major cardiovascular events (nonfatal myocardial infarction, fatal congestive heart failure, nonfatal and fatal stroke) with an increased risk of 1.68. Therapeutic doses (2-4 g/day) of acetaminophen are associated with increased risk of serious upper gastrointestinal events. Acetaminophen is also associated with hypersensitivity reactions, serious hematologic disorders, and skin disorders ranging from rashes to toxic epidermal necrolysis.

It's just one more drug, and drugs are best kept away from.
The more often you use pain killers, the more severe pain appears to be when you are not using them.

Pain is all in the brain. And we can make opioids in the brain at will to prevent that pain perception. That's why the placebo effect works so well.

You might like to try my trick. For severe pain I imagine up a bottle of morphine capsules, and have a glass of water, visualising I'm swallowing one of the capsules. This works better for some than for others, but I've a feeling you could do it too. I have the actual capsules here, but the container has hardly been touched, because I prefer to treat pain my way, and not have anything fogging up my brain.

I would also take seriously the suggestion from Pervius that the Chinese-made Tylenol may be contaminated.

Good luck with it.

edit on 8/11/10 by Kailassa because: to put twin female sheep in the water. - (a double-ewe)

new topics

top topics

join