It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't much action being taken against Lice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Well everyone knows lice. They're blood sucking pests which make us itch. But they can cause a LOT more harm than you think. Lice spread typhoid right? They're bile is infested with typhoid germs which can cause a period of suffering and death for people. The thing is that why don't many people take this seriously? Discuss.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by RimDaas

Its not something which takes priority when the same species has been feeding off humans for about as long as we have existed, there are flare ups every now and then but any fearmongering by the media is unwarranted.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
My questions is, what more CAN be done about it?

I mean, you get lice you use that cream stuff or what ever and they are gone.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
the one i cannot understand is why isnt more done to exterminate cockroaches? they affect more ppl than lice in these modern days

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RimDaas

I don't know where you live but here children at school are examined four times a year for lice. The schools have a program that helps the kids understand that you do not share hats, clothing etc. to help stop the spread of the parasite. I even remember this as a kid growing up. I also think personal hygiene is a lot better as it once was so maybe it is not an issue like it was.

Now my head itch's lol.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The chemical products only work for a short period of time, and are incredibly expensive when purchasing them weekly for a child at school.

Cheaper ways to deal with it are to use any bulk generic hair conditioner daily .. which stuns the little critters long enough for the parent to comb them out with the appropriate lice comb.

Problem is, there are so many parents who don't do these things daily.. they seem to think that a haircut for boys and one or two treatments with toxic chemical products for girls will rid them of the problem forever.. which is a massive fallacy.

Fortunately, by the time the kids are in high school the Lice problem is rarely seen again.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
When my kids were in primary school i used to have no end of trouble with the little buggers, but since moving on to 'big' school, i hadnt had any problems with them, until yesterday!, my 12 year came home with them, i can say in my experience that none of the over the counter chemical treatments have ever worked for me, including the new types that cut off their oxygen supply ( the bug not the childs,) the only things thats gonna work is 3 weeks of religious combing and removal. When i was in school we used to have a nit nurse, and if you were found with them you were sent home until they cleared up. Oh god im feeling a bit itchy myself, aargh.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by RimDaas
Well everyone knows lice. They're blood sucking pests which make us itch. But they can cause a LOT more harm than you think. Lice spread typhoid right? They're bile is infested with typhoid germs which can cause a period of suffering and death for people. The thing is that why don't many people take this seriously? Discuss.

Typhus, not typhoid. Epidemic typhus to be specific. 2 different diseases.

Epidemic typhus

Epidemic typhus (also called "camp fever", "jail fever", "hospital fever", "ship fever", "famine fever", "putrid fever", "petechial fever", "Epidemic louse-borne typhus,"[1] and "louse-borne typhus"[2]) is a form of typhus so named because the disease often causes epidemics following wars and natural disasters. The causative organism is Rickettsia prowazekii, transmitted by the human body louse (Pediculus humanus corporis).[3][4] Feeding on a human who carries the bacillus infects the louse. R. prowazekii grows in the louse's gut and is excreted in its feces. The disease is then transmitted to an uninfected human who scratches the louse bite (which itches) and rubs the feces into the wound. The incubation period is one to two weeks. R. prowazekii can remain viable and virulent in the dried louse feces for many days. Typhus will eventually kill the louse, though the disease will remain viable for many weeks in the dead louse.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Well that's BODY LICE, which is AKA Crabs, head lice do not cause disease, they are more of a pestilence than anything, and the AP who said roaches are causing more problems for us, is correct, they do, like Asthma, they can cause and exacerbate asthma as they drop off the dusty remenants of their shedding shell...awful right?
Anyways, a medical doctor told me that the chemicals cause the human more damage than the head lice ever would...
This is true, look it up!

Also for those who would like to be rid of the problem for good, get yourself a cheap dollar store spray bottle, get lavender, geranium, tea tree and rosemary oils (essential, they cost more, but they are the only that will work) Mix 5 drops each of these oils to the the entire spray bottle of water (It will smell like the treatment your school nurse has given out if you ever got it, if you never had that, then it smells sort of like hospital cleaners.) Anyway, spray into the head before the child goes to school everyday(it prevents them from wanting to get in the child's head as they do not like the smell). For treatment mix the above oils 5 drops each to either EVOO or Sesame oil, leave in the hair for an hour with a plastic bag covering the hair and oils, comb out with a lice comb thouroughly, and make sure the lice are killed by popping them (even if they appear dead), this helps take the nits out thoroughly. Treat the house, clothes, bedding etc as normally you would and then redo in seven days, but in between and thereafter the original treatment use the oil/water mixture every day before school, and make sure it gets into the SCALP.
edit on 8-11-2010 by ldyserenity because: I can't spell lol

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RimDaas

You should probably go to the store, shell out five bucks for some lice medication, take it home and put it on your head. I'm sure there's no conspiracy to give you lice, and it probably wasn't the illuminati. Try some bug spray around the house and bathe regularly.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
We could almost eliminate lice like we did with bedbugs. DDT was the answer but it caused more problems than the bedbugs. I say we keep the lice and avoid the chemicals. But do use chemicals on yourself if you have lice.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I must be getting hungry, I thought this thread was about flied lice.

Anyway, you can get rid of the little plicks with this natural shampoo product.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Each family should be issued one monkey and it could groom each family members head for fifteen to twenty minutes each evening.
edit on 8-11-2010 by AB173-1970 because: no reason and sentence formulation

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
We had good luck with straight mayo caked on the hair and put underneath a shower cap for an entire day.Everything alive will be very dead, but then you have to worry about removing the eggs. Wash hair with tea tree oil and lavendar shampoo followed by coconut conditioner and then a leave in to help the nit comb slide thru the strands easier.Do it in natural sun light or use a flashlight. Apply apple cider vinegar to release the glue the nits have on them. It takes about a week of checking the head daily for any nits you may have missed but this should do the trick. Launder all the bedding, stuffed animals, and pillows in hot water and hang out to dry in the sun if summertime or super hot dryer otherwise. Vaccum carpets and floors well too.

top topics

join