It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adding cold water storage to my house.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I'm going to add one of these to my main water supply so if it is ever interrupted I will still have at least 1k gallons of fresh water stored.
www.tractorsupply.com...

I am by no means a plumber and this will be a learning experience but I have the internet for all the info I will need. If you have the means I would recommend doing this. Water is not really in short supply despite what everyone is saying, but you never know when you will need a reserve.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Impressive. While you are at it get one of these

Chop down enough lumber, store it, and you will have free heat for the entire house provided you have a fan for airflow. I put a pot on top of this and it boils water, cooks food... its like a giant frying pan

Oh and also get one of these

We bought it because we used to have power outages all the time whenever some snow came by (it's a lot better now). It wouldn't have been an issue if it only went off for a few minutes but sometimes it would be hours to days. This can run your fridge, stove, water pump, a couple other things, no problemo. Runs on unleaded fuel.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkice19

Good idea. Are you going to install it inline so that it remains fresh or is it going to be fed and shut off?

If you can hook it up so that its inline in your water lines the water will run through it before it goes to the rest of the house and constantly refresh the supply in the tank.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
A couple of things to consider:

Be sure, absolutely sure, where you place it can support 10,000 pounds. An old concrete floor may crack or settle a little bit as you fill it. A new home with a 4 inch slab floor may, stress the may, be okay.

Be sure there is a working drain near the tank. This should be a self evident explanation.

There will be a valved port towards the bottom, on the side. Place this port in the most easy to access location. Try to use it several times ---- before you place any water in the tank..

Have fun....

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I've been considering something like this for an in-line setup. I was not sure about going with plastic vs. stainless steel. How does the plastic hold up over decades in climates that go from one extreme to another?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Inline....

Any idea what your water pressure is. Is the tank even pressure rated?

Stainless steel.... How deep are your pockets?

You guys really need to research this and ask many, many questions. There are no stupid questions about this type of stuff. You don't want to put out a lot of money then have an "oh sh*t" moment.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I'm putting it in my garage which has a 4 in thick concrete floor and im running a hose from my washing machine and back. So every time we do laundry it will get circulation. I'm also adding 2 lower outlets on the other side of it. One for washing the cars and one for watering the yard. And the other will have a filter for drinking/cooking if we need. I can regulate the pressure going into it so exploding won’t be a problem. This whole thing was my wife’s idea but she doesn't know how much water storage im adding. She was thinking a 55 gallon drum. I'm thinking more long term.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LOLZebra
Impressive. While you are at it get one of these

Chop down enough lumber, store it, and you will have free heat for the entire house provided you have a fan for airflow. I put a pot on top of this and it boils water, cooks food... its like a giant frying pan

Oh and also get one of these

We bought it because we used to have power outages all the time whenever some snow came by (it's a lot better now). It wouldn't have been an issue if it only went off for a few minutes but sometimes it would be hours to days. This can run your fridge, stove, water pump, a couple other things, no problemo. Runs on unleaded fuel.

Cheers

I already have a generac generator that runs off the gas line and automatically turns on when power drops.
I also have a small wood burning stove but I don’t need to store wood for now because I live off the beaten path already. Lots of wood right outside my front door. We even store at least 6 months of food in the hidden pantry I made. I have everything covered but water.
We lose power all the time where i live and i had to have a back up generator to keep the house warm.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

That looks like a good deal and an even better idea! You might want to look at getting a 12 volt pump in case the power is out for awhile to distribute the water so you can drink it (unless of course you are willing to dip a cup into the storage tank.

I have been looking at doing something similar to this: www.raindirector.co.uk... , without of course paying someone a lot of money to do it.

My advice is, check with local retired plumbers who might be willing to work for considerably less than one who is constantly in demand. Also, check out the solar websites to see if this is something that is feasible as well.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

That looks like a good deal and an even better idea! You might want to look at getting a 12 volt pump in case the power is out for awhile to distribute the water so you can drink it (unless of course you are willing to dip a cup into the storage tank.

I have been looking at doing something similar to this: www.raindirector.co.uk... , without of course paying someone a lot of money to do it.

My advice is, check with local retired plumbers who might be willing to work for considerably less than one who is constantly in demand. Also, check out the solar websites to see if this is something that is feasible as well.

Good luck!

For drinking and cooking I’m going to just add a small valve on the lower side. We can just manually drain the water out that way. I was thinking of maybe running a battery pump to pressurize it and add some brass tubing to the kitchen but that’s later down the road.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Sounds good, just make sure that you do the math so that the pump can pump the water to where you want it to go. Here is a good site full of calculations www.ajdesigner.com... and I am sure that there is another website where all you have to do is input your values and it will tell you what you need. Take a look at places that manufacture street sweepers, they usually have the best 12 volt pumps for the best price.

edit on 8-11-2010 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
I'm putting it in my garage which has a 4 in thick concrete floor and im running a hose from my washing machine and back. So every time we do laundry it will get circulation. I'm also adding 2 lower outlets on the other side of it. One for washing the cars and one for watering the yard. And the other will have a filter for drinking/cooking if we need. I can regulate the pressure going into it so exploding won’t be a problem. This whole thing was my wife’s idea but she doesn't know how much water storage im adding. She was thinking a 55 gallon drum. I'm thinking more long term.

Washing the car and watering the yard doesn't have me concerned. Using the wash machine for circulation and then using the water for domestic usage has a concern. I know what you are trying to do. Check into back flow prevention and cross connection control. You really need to look at this.

Your garage is heated or should we not get too concerned about freezing. Just throwing this out there, no need to answer as others are reading this thread also.

Another quick thought about garage. Any thought for placing any "ballards" so your vehicle will not hit or bump the tank?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky

Originally posted by Darkice19

Washing the car and watering the yard doesn't have me concerned. Using the wash machine for circulation and then using the water for domestic usage has a concern. I know what you are trying to do. Check into back flow prevention and cross connection control. You really need to look at this.

Your garage is heated or should we not get too concerned about freezing. Just throwing this out there, no need to answer as others are reading this thread also.

Another quick thought about garage. Any thought for placing any "ballards" so your vehicle will not hit or bump the tank?

My garage is heated with a gas furnace that hangs from the ceiling. It’s a 2 car garage but we only park one vehicle inside. I just keep my jeep in the driveway because it’s too tall to fit inside. Someone I work with told me I need to use a backflow valve on the part where the hose attaches for washing the cars and watering the yard. As for the washer I don’t think it’s able to back feed but I’ll look into it. It has constant pressure and has its own flow regulator.
I'll take some pics as i go so you all will understand what im going for. But before i do anything I'll talk to a plumber and have him design things propperly. I might even downsize the tank size. 1k might be too big. 500 gallons might be more practical. This will be a big learning experiance and a fun one.

top topics

join