It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens and skeptics

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I am a skeptic, and I believe with almost one-hundred-percent certainty that there is an abundance of life in the universe. I'm not sure how a skeptic can believe otherwise after seeing the numbers involved.

Have they been here or are they currently visiting here? Doubtful. And even if they were, there is a possibility that we would have no idea what we were dealing with in terms of the technological gap between our civilization and theirs. Would we notice VonNeuman-type nanoscale probes? Would a highly advanced civilization appear as nearly supernatural to us?

And, more strangely, would they even leave enough of a trail to get ANY evidence of their presence? Perhaps they would only leave tantalizing hints and that was all we could get at.
edit on 10/11/10 by Adept_Zero because: VonNeuman

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

I can't answer for Shrike, but I can answer for myself, in that yes, it is worth spending money to look for life elsewhere...and not just for scientific gain, but would be nice to see us be able to spread out.

Look, our population keeps growing and growing. Eventually, we'll reach a point where this becomes more of an immediate problem (some would say we're already there). Finding other "Earths" is a key solution to the problem, IF we can find a way to get there. (and, in establishing contact with other starfarers, we just may find that solution).

Of course, there are risks too...such as what if these folks aren't friendly? However, it's kind of a risk we have to take, at some point.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I can't answer for Shrike, but I can answer for myself, in that yes, it is worth spending money to look for life elsewhere...and not just for scientific gain, but would be nice to see us be able to spread out.

Look, our population keeps growing and growing. Eventually, we'll reach a point where this becomes more of an immediate problem (some would say we're already there). Finding other "Earths" is a key solution to the problem, IF we can find a way to get there. (and, in establishing contact with other starfarers, we just may find that solution).

Of course, there are risks too...such as what if these folks aren't friendly? However, it's kind of a risk we have to take, at some point.

I find it frustrating that we have not progressed in space. Yes, we know a bit more about the universe, but the only place we have been so far is the moon, and that was years ago. If we all worked together, as humans, and not as nations, then i believe we would be far more advanced than we are now, but that is easier said than done.

I thought we would have at least a moon base or something, but nothing

I think its one of the most important things we should be doing, but us humans only seem to see the troubles now, and not the troubles we will have in the future on our small planet.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Oh, shades of the TV show "THE UNIVERSE" where you see highly (?) educated, highly paid individuals talking about events that may happen millions of years in the future. A total waste of education! How about humans becoming more educated in how to help humanity here and now? All of those trillions of hard-earned tax dollars that the government steals under fear to waste on all of those probes that benefit no one except the above-named individuals? How about more educational, medical, etc., efforts? When was the last time American taxpayers benefited from NASA space efforts? Yea, thanks for the great UFO videos!

I don't agree that humans will eventually override the planet where we have to look elsewhere to habitate. Planet earth is almost empty! Let's stay here and improve out lot. Humans have no business leaving earth 'cause no matter where they go, it'll be the same scenario as present: wars, poverty, unpopular governments and myriads of governmental agencies that no longer represent or answer to those doing the electing. And religion running rampant. Do you want religions in the new cosmic homes? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Before I see humanity moving to other planets I'd rather see a comet destroy this one. We are the fleas on this beautiful planet.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join