It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

57 Witness Beating Death of Teen in Douglas Co. Georgia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This headline hit the news today here in Ga, and is a sad sign of teen mindset these days. 4 arrests have been made, the news report says that 57 witnesses have been questioned at this time, including a nieghbor who sat and watched it happen from his bedroom window said he 'just thought he was hurt and didn't think he was dying'.

Ed Stephens, who lives near where the party took place, watched the brutal attack from his bedroom window, reported WSB."I just thought he was hurt. I never thought that his life was ending," said Stephens.

What is this world coming to when that many people can witness, stand idly by, while a few punks beat a kid to death, and no one even tryed to stop it? In my opinion that is just as heartless as the punks who killed this kid.

Before the attack, one of the teens reportedly told his friends he was going to hit the next person he saw, said Ferguson.

www.cnn.com...

Just for fun and kicks. The party wasn't enough. I hate it folks but kids today are out of control. How are we ever going to fix a problem so big? Take away the video games, take some time off from work, turn the TV off, and your cell phone, and start finding out who your kids really are. Make them understand that every life is precious, not just theirs. I firmly believe that technology is taking the place of one on one relationships with our families, and the end result: kids who are just as unfeeling as thier cellphone. omg. What would you wager that more than one video and/or photograph of this poor kid being beat to death winds up on youtube or personal pages?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I don't think it's "Kids today"

Humans have always had a habbit of beating the hell out of eachother. Sometimes for no reason at all.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Six or Seven years ago I was on Commerce St. in San Antonio walking into a parking garage to get my vehicle when I noticed two young ladies in a car looking down the street behind me and one said to the other "that's why I can't live in this city", so I got curious and turned to look behind me. What I saw was 6-7 teenagers to early 20 year olds brutally beating one guy, while at least 50 people within 50 ft. of the assault just watched. I'm not trying to sound like a hero, nor was I trying to be a hero, but without thinking at all I ran as hard as I could about 100 yards directly at them with every intention of putting an end to the beating. Maybe it was stupid, but when I saw them taking turns jumping up and down on the head of a man who was clearly out cold, my blood immediately began to boil. Amazingly, when I was about 20 ft. away the kids turned and ran down the riverwalk as a group, not because of me, but because 3 bicycle cops appeared out of nowhere blowing whistles. I walked directly up to the victim, within 2 ft. and could see a crack in his skull from just above his eyebrow to the back across the top of his head. He appeared to me to be completely lifeless as blood poured from this monster crevace in his head. I could not help but ask all the people standing there why no one tried to stop it once it got out of hand, and not one person responded.

As a side note, I had seen the exact same group of kids a couple of hours earlier in a shopping mall, they were all black males conspicously wearing red tooling around looking for trouble. Never in a million years would I have predicted that I'd see them murder a man by the end of the day.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

although you are correct in stating that humans have been beating each other forever, you are not correct about 'teens today'. Take at look at this article, it is dated January 2009, here is a quote from that article:

According to the Uniform Crime Reports published by the FBI, the arrests of juveniles for murder has increased 26.1 percent since 2005, and the 2008 data isn’t even out yet. Are we going to see yet another increase in the number of “teen killers” arrested in the United States? If any clue can be taken from what has been reported in the news over the last year, it looks likely that the trend will continue.

This dark culture that Sillman, his so-called friends, and other teens across the nation are involved in, is part of the driving force behind a new wave of violence we’re seeing. Kids used to fist fight in the park when a disagreement arose; now they want a deeper, more meaningful and personal means to revenge.

incoldblogger.blogspot.com...

I am not basing my perspective on any single article, but on the onlslaught of killings like this one that keep appearring in the news headlines. I know this is not the way it has been in the past, it is increasing. There has to be an explaination for that increase.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

Sorry you went through something so shocking and horrific, but at least you felt a need to something and acted on it, not like in this case that sooooo many stood there are didn't do a thing.

I was at a store near my job, on my way to work one night, and saw a fight going on, a group of teen girls were on this one girl who barely had a shirt left on at this point, it was in shreds, I blew my horn at them and screamed 'what the hell' at them, one girl turned to me and told me to f**k off, well, I didn't. I got out of the car, taser in hand, and approached them asking who wanted it first, they ran. The girl they were beating on, she told me that these girls picked on her at her school, and it was constant. I asked her about telling her teachers, ect and she said she had done this, but that they still find a way to get to her, and others.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Miraj your answer continues to bother me. Without citing any other link or site, let me just ask you have you heard of beatdowns? That is not something that has always been 'the norm'. Sure there have always been bullies, and even groups that detest each other and live to fight it out, but, what happens today IS different.

I personally know at least 10 high school kids who have been 'beat down', just for the fun of it.
I also know at least 2 of those who were hospitalized for their injuries. I know kids who are afraid to go to school because of it. Ask any teen if they have witnessed or know someone who has either been beat down or did the dirty deed themselves, you might be surprised.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Habitual harassment and physical abuse warrants extreme force. If two or more people attack you, it warrants deadly force. You may kill or maim somebody but you have a better chance of survival if you can stab one of the attackers and run away. Go for the eyes and throat. Deal with the legalities later, save you're life now. Unfortunately this is not taught in school or condoned by law enforcement.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
The kid they beat up was 5'6", 125 pounds. Basically, these 4 cowards ganged up on 1 person who was smaller than any of them.

Have fun in prison. Once the inmates hear what these guys did, they'll get a taste of their own medicine. 4 guys beating some small guy till he dies isn't going to earn them much respect behind bars. Quite the opposite.

They wanted a fight? Well, they'll get one and then some, in prison.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

What is this world coming to

I saw the title of this thread and KNEW this phrase was going to be used. People always seem to ask this question when what they should be asking is "Where is the world coming FROM?"

Look at the past history of our species and you'll find stuff FAR worse than people watching someone get beaten to death. You'll find societies that engaged in wholesale slaughter, human sacrifice, and all manner of violence. I'm not excusing the behavior of those who did nothing, I'm merely saying look at in context and you'll realize the world isn't going mad - it was mad and is slowly, very slowly, getting saner.
edit on 8-11-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I agree this world has seen worse, however I do not feel we are moving towards sanity in regards to teen killers and teen violence. I feel that today a precedence is being set for this type of crime. I have always listened to and been intrested in the news, and I cannot remember a time in my lifetime when so many teens were committing murder.

I heard tonight of another teen, a 16 yr old girl, along with her boyfriend, murdered her father. www.msnbc.msn.com...

Remember this past year the kids killed in chicago, beaten to death by other kids in front of a number of nieghbors, ect.

The fact that violence is part of our history doesn't make it any less obvious that teens are becoming more prevalant.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Holy Crap, I just saw your location. Early Cuyler is my idol! Those kids might actually use his infamous defense, "well what would you do, that sumbich looked at me crossways!"

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This is why more people need to be armed. You can bet that if there had been more guns in that group of 57 witnesses this wouldn't have happened. Even the youths of today realize that others out there might be more than happy to shoot them dead for this kind of thing. As it is, they must feel that there will be little if any actual consequence for their actions.

..Ex

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

There are a few reasons why teens seem to be committing more murders today than before, I think the main one is the 24 hour news cycle of around the world. Let's face it, if a teen committed murder in China in 1986 who would have known about it? Now you can find stories like that on news websites days after they happen.

Another thing is that when a few stories like this begin to crop up we begin looking for a pattern, that's the way our minds work, we begin noticing stories just like this where we didn't notice them as much before. Suddenly it can seem as if the world is spiraling out control.

I do agree that there seems to be a rash of teen killings and teen suicides and while certainly these are issues we should be looking at it must be done rationally

top topics

join