It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the lighter side of life!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Good evening Ladies and Gents! I come here to ask a question. It is a nagging question that has been bothering me since about March of this year, 2010.

How do you take care of constipation that is brought on by Narcotic Pain Relievers?

On the conspiracy side of the argument, just for the heck of it and for debate; Do you think that the companies that make the Pain Pills also make the laxatives? Is this in itself one of the biggest rackets in medical history that we are staring at?

I mean seriously. I have tried everything from the store brands of laxatives. To the name brands of laxatives. To the not so traditional, "cleanses".

Do any of you have experience with this problem and willing to not be scared of ridicule or being made fun of, to discuss yet another mature subject matter. After all, this is quite a CRAPPY, situation! (I'm sorry, I had too!)

*I am third shift and will be here for the next 7-8 hours to continue this discussion. This is NOT, a trolling hit and run! I have started other Medical Threads. Example: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Try flax seed oil. It will also help your cardiovascular system and your immune system. I've been taking it regularly for awhile, I'm never constipated and I don't get sick.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Big salads smothered in Olive Oil.
You will also get the added benefit of the vitamins from the Salad

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by alonzo730

Sweet, thanks you for being brave too!
I am certain, and it's now confirmed, that I am not the only poor soul suffering from Big Pharma and their posion! (Poison I might add helps me out of bed each day!)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I have not heard this one before.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
My GF is a nurse, and givers her patients a product similar to Pico-Salax

'PICO-SALAX is a white powder. It is a very strong purgative. PICO-SALAX is used to cleanse the bowel of faecal matter and secretions prior to x-ray examination, endoscopy or surgery.This product is not intended to use as a regular laxative.'

If you can get hold of something like this then it WILL work, though not for regular use.

Another point would be how much fibre do you get in your diet?

You need at least 30 grams a day and that will aid the purgative process.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm a big advocate of Olive Oil, as I have lived on and off in the Mediterranean for quite some time, as soon as I switch to the Mediterranean diet i.e. Olive Oil on everything, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, lots of Fish my whole body improves. My digestive system, my skin, my mental health, my hair... The sun also helps of course.

At the moment I'm living in London, my home town, and I feel terrible.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Mineral oil, lots of water, molasses & milk, get your heart going some too...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I think I need a new mouse. Double post. -.-

edit on 7-11-2010 by StinkFist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
...mineral oil - everyday, first thing in the morning... mix it in a little bit of juice so you can slug it down and get it over with... it may not move severe blockage... if thats your situation, castor oil does the trick... once you're clean, mineral oil will keep it slick and easy to move...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Again, this site doesn't fail to help! You guys helped me understand the medications I am on and now the resulting side effects of them!

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
On the conspiracy side of this:

- Do you think that the same companies making the pain pills are also pushing the laxatives as a relief from their narcotics?

- Has there ever been a study on the long term use of laxatives?

- Has there ever been a study on the long term use of narcotics?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
There have been studies on long term use of laxatives: Your body will become dependent on them. You'll need them to go!

Long term use of many narcotics will cause constipation. My mother had cancer, right- but the cancer didn't kill her; her bowels burst after being so constipated for so long from having taken pain medication (methadone, oxycontin, morphine, hydrocodone) and other cancer related drugs.

Anyway- you can spend an afternoon researching it on the innerwebz. Anything drug related must be taken in with the understanding there is a lot of propaganda and straight up lies about certain kinds of drugs though.

Wiki on laxatives

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Dill pickles work for me (4-5 of them). That and a cup of coffee.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by StinkFist

I am sorry to hear the awful news of your mother. I too am battling cancer. (Pelvic and Testicular, it's in my bones lightly now).

Her bowels burst?! That's sort of how this feels. I am on Day 4 of any movement. They had me on the Oxycontin 20 mg twice a day. NOW, I am on the Oxycontin 30mg THREE times a day. This is when the problems began; oh and they added Vicodin "as needed" (Biggest joke ever...)

I am starting to see that there is a lot of out and out lies being spoken out there.... It's a real shame.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyGirl

I love pickels. Score 10 stars for you! It never crossed my mind to try pickels!!!

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Shudder...

And holy Shiz Dave, those cats eyes are moving...

edit on 8-11-2010 by NeverApologize because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Get some miralax it works ask your doctor about it,it is a powder you mix with a glass of water,no bad taste either.You can buy it over the counter now even in small amounts i think around five dollars at the drug store.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
You shall prevail!

Don't take what happened to my mother as anything but a warning- she was not the best at keeping her chin up and doing what she should have been doing. Opiates (oxycontin, methadone, morphine) are known for causing constipation! So just be very careful and try to keep with as much natural stimulation as you can, rather than drugs to counteract drugs. Water is really your best friend and front line of defense in that department, but might not always be enough.

new topics

top topics

join