It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transformer explosion at NY nuclear power plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Transformer explosion at NY nuclear power plant

news.yahoo.com

BUCHANAN, N.Y. – A transformer exploded at a nuclear power plant north of New York City, leading to an emergency shut down of one of its reactors.

He says the transformer was outside and not near the reactor. He said there was no fire despite earlier reports.

Indian Point 2 was shut down after the explosion just after 6:30 p.m. Indian Point 3 was operating normally.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US nuclear plant shuts down to repair leaky pipe

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Im not sure if this explosion is that significant. The article says the explosion happend outside of the reactor and there were no fires.

There was also a problem at a Vermont nuclear plant. The article says that both shutdowns were just a coincidence. I somewhat do believe they were coincedence.

Hopefully nothing worse happens because of the shutdowns. I wouldnt think anything else would happen, it seems like the problems are under control.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Previous reports say there was fire.

Be careful

Thirdline.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
If anyones interested, heres some information about Indian Point Energy Center. Wiki article

Indian Point Energy Center (IPEC) is a three-unit nuclear power plant station located in Buchanan, New York just south of Peekskill. It sits on the east bank of the Hudson River, 24 miles north of New York City. The power plant provides up to 30% of the electricity used by New York.[1]

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
If anyones interested, heres some information about Indian Point Energy Center. Wiki article

Indian Point Energy Center (IPEC) is a three-unit nuclear power plant station located in Buchanan, New York just south of Peekskill. It sits on the east bank of the Hudson River, 24 miles north of New York City. The power plant provides up to 30% of the electricity used by New York.[1]

I lived in New York City most of my life and had no idea we were using nuclear energy.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

just my humble opinion - but the only " issue " that concerns me is the question :

is the transformer incident a symptom of poor maintainence / shoddy operating procedure , lax saftey ?

if so - be concerned - if not MEH :p

the reactor shiut down is a none issue - they only shut it down because without a transformer - the electricity generated cannot be added to the grid

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I just read about it in RSOE site.

Here are the links:
Summary of the event:
hisz.rsoe.hu...

Situation Update No. 1
On 08.11.2010 at 06:00 GMT+2

A transformer exploded at a nuclear power plant north of New York City, leading to an emergency shut down of one of its reactors. An official with the Indian Point plant in Buchanan says no one was injured in Sunday's explosion. The plant is owned by Entergy Corp. Company spokesman Jim Steets says no radioactive materials leaked. He says the transformer was outside and not near the reactor. He said there was no fire despite earlier reports. Indian Point 2 was shut down after the explosion just after 6:30 p.m. Indian Point 3 was operating normally. It was the second shutdown within the hour at an Entergy-owned plant. The Vermont Yankee nuclear plant in Vernon, Vermont, shut down at about 7 p.m. after workers detected radioactive water seeping from a leaky pipe in the complex. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission says the two shutdowns were "complete coincidence."

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Man I hate that power plant, I used to live within fallout range of that place lol.
edit on Mon, 08 Nov 2010 06:34:43 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
These large transformers have very finite life expectancies related to how hard they've been loaded and moisture ingress to the solid insulation so failures are quite common and often catastrophic particularly when a transformer gets much over 25 years old, with around 50 years of moderate use being the upper limit. They're fitted with 'explosion vents' so any internal breakdown generating internal pressure bursts a foil membrane allowing a quick release (along with a considerable oil spillage) but fires resulting from it are not so common due to the high flash point of the insulating oil. They are installed over pits designed to catch that spillage avoiding contamination plus preventing any fire spreading through the switchyard.

It would be unusual for a company to replace transformers before they develop a fault (they're very expensive) so a blow-up is usually what it takes to get a new transformer installed.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Look, this reactors are only a part for Europe. In US you have twice as much. For me, it's just a mater of time until one of this babies MUST explode. Just a little Earthquake....

edit on 8-11-2010 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I have always hated nuclear power plants - I use to live near one in Minnesota, hated every minute of being near it. Some of these plants are getting old - so you are saying if it ain't broke don't fix it re the transformer. When it comes to possble radiation leaks that is just plain stupid! I hope these 2 incidents were not worse than reported.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Someone go there and make sure megatron is dead, thanks!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Nuclear power has come a long way since it's conception. We are far beyond the ways of Chernobyl as far as safety measures and control go.

Of course if they would just start using Thorium the risk would go down again exponentially oh ya and not as much of that pesky nuclear waste to deal with... $$ drives everything these days...

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum
These large transformers have very finite life expectancies related to how hard they've been loaded and moisture ingress to the solid insulation so failures are quite common and often catastrophic particularly when a transformer gets much over 25 years old, with around 50 years of moderate use being the upper limit. They're fitted with 'explosion vents' so any internal breakdown generating internal pressure bursts a foil membrane allowing a quick release (along with a considerable oil spillage) but fires resulting from it are not so common due to the high flash point of the insulating oil. They are installed over pits designed to catch that spillage avoiding contamination plus preventing any fire spreading through the switchyard.

It would be unusual for a company to replace transformers before they develop a fault (they're very expensive) so a blow-up is usually what it takes to get a new transformer installed.

The power infrastructure issue in the US may need addressing in future budget proposals.

abc7ny.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Slichter

According to the report on that recent NYC event, the transformers appear to be not guilty this time. Well the main power transformers at least. What they've said points to a VT (voltage transformer) for metering purposes and these things tend to be mounted in an oil-filled insulator for that sort of voltage (over 100kV). CTs (current transformers) for metering and protection are mounted the same way IE huge oil filled insulators.

I've been in a switchyard where one of these exploded and it's very scary with huge chunks of porcelain insulator flying about. This case is sounds like there was a protection failure for the arcing to go on for so long. If everything works properly that fault should be disconnected in milliseconds.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

top topics

join