It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US nuclear plant shuts down to repair leaky pipe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

US nuclear plant shuts down to repair leaky pipe

www.msnbc.msn.com

MONTPELIER, Vermont — Workers at the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant detected radioactive water seeping from a leaky pipe in the complex Sunday, forcing the plant to shut down to make repairs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'd love to see the Craigslist ad for this one: Wanted: Plumber for once in a lifetime opportunity. Free tan included.

I wonder how many things like this happen that we don't hear about. Hopefully it's not too big of a deal like they say. I know I'd be a little nervous if I was the one who had to clean it up.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Good catch! RSOE isn't listing it yet, but they are listing this: hisz.rsoe.hu...

Explosion in NY a few hours ago. Very interesting and odd timing!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Heres another article from yahoo.coms news. link

It says pretty much the exact same as the OP's.

Im pretty sure this isnt very serious. It was just a leaking water pipe.

Related - Transformer Explosion at NY Nuclear Plant

BUCHANAN, N.Y. – A transformer exploded at a nuclear power plant north of New York City, leading to an emergency shut down of one of its reactors.

He says the transformer was outside and not near the reactor. He said there was no fire despite earlier reports.

The Vermont Yankee nuclear plant in Vernon, Vt., shut down at about 7 p.m. after workers detected radioactive water seeping from a leaky pipe in the complex.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission says the two shutdowns were "complete coincidence."

Edit- Just made a thread about the Transformer explosion in NY - Thread
edit on 7-11-2010 by buni11687 because: stuff

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Hmmmmm... Maybe somebody sent the US a counter-cyber attack, just like stuxnet (or whatever it was called) did to Iranian nuclear facilities. It's known that Chinese have even played around with overloading US power facilities by just using the internet.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
From RSOE:

Situation Update No. 2
On 08.11.2010 at 19:01 GMT+2

Two nuclear reactors at separate plants were shut down within half an hour after a transformer caught fire at one and radioactive water began leaking from the other. Officials at the Indian Point nuclear power plant, about 25 miles north of New York City, shut down a reactor after a transformer exploded Sunday at around 6:45 p.m. No radiation leaked, and no injuries were reported. Less than half an hour later and 175 miles away, the Vermont Yankee nuclear power plant in Vernon, Vt., was shut down after workers discovered a pipe leaking radioactive water. About 60 drops per minute were being released from the pipe, but officials said there was no danger of the leak reaching groundwater. Both power plants are owned by Entergy Corp. in New Orleans. "No radioactivity leaked out," Larry Smith of Entergy told AOL News today, speaking of the shutdown at Vermont Yankee. Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Neil Sheehan said that the night of double shutdowns was a "complete coincidence" and that there was no danger to the public, according to the New York Daily News. "The levels are so low, they really wouldn't be harmful to anybody," he said. "There is no immediate health or safety concern as far as this leakage. Any leakage would be captured by the plant system, so there's no exposure to the public." This is the latest in a series of small leaks from the Vermont Yankee plant. Entergy recently announced that it is trying to sell the plant, a deal that could be made difficult by state regulations. Earlier this year, the Vermont Legislature voted down an extension on Vermont Yankee after radioactive tritium was found to have leaked from the plant into groundwater. Another transformer fire shut down Indian Point on April 6, 2007.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

And when you are done checking out this link could someobe tell me how on earth there could be so many airplane markers in the US???

new topics

top topics

join