It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's Spy Coins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

by Ted Bridis WASHINGTON (AP) - An odd-looking Canadian quarter with a bright red flower was the culprit behind a false espionage warning from the U.S. Defense Department about mysterious coins with radio frequency transmitters, The Associated Press has learned. The harmless "poppy quarter" was so unfamiliar to suspicious U.S. army contractors traveling in Canada that they filed confidential espionage accounts about them. The worried contractors described the coins as "filled with something man-made that looked like nano-technology," according to once-classified U.S. government reports and e-mails obtained by the AP.

Canada's Spy Coins

I have just read up on these reports and I had to post this. I think the claims that were being made were just so outrageous just because they didn't understand something and were seeing it for the first time.
edit on 7/11/2010 by Mirthful Me because: All Caps Title.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by born2BWild

Yah, I'll never forget about reading this +-2 Years ago here:

www.thestar.com...

I was pretty amazed to think the US could have thought Canada would use a coin for spying on them, but I suppose something like that could be possible.

Not sure how to embed an external image, but here's a pic of 1

www.patriotfiles.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Yeah because the best way of making something undetectable and secret would be to put a huge Red mark on it and make it stand out from all the rest of the coins...

This news report has just bought my faith in human intelligence down another few points.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Yeah because the best way of making something undetectable and secret would be to put a huge Red mark on it and make it stand out from all the rest of the coins...

LOL!
I couldn't have said it any better. If they were going to use any coin/s to perform spying somehow, surely they'd use the Vancouver 2010 coins, as they'd pretty much be dispersed world wide

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
LOL LOL how could I have missed this in the news? I am Canadian, and this is a #^&&$'ing joke lol. Wow US Defense Department .... really? This is just completely mentally challenged.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nice one.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Yes I was stunned that I missed this on the news as well. I was looking for some values for some coins I have just received and came across this article. I couldn't believe it and quickly thought of throwing this out to ATS as this is right up our alley.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
"The Defense Security Service never examined the suspicious coins, spokeswoman Cindy McGovern said. "We know where we made the mistake," she said. "The information wasn't properly vetted. While these coins aroused suspicion, there ultimately was nothing there."

Wow, just wow. Seriously? Defense Security Service? WOW.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Esger

Goes to show that defense networks are a bunch of paranoid , totally owned by propaganda group...what a life they lead.

You can see how easily they believe a nutter story like the 9/11 fiction.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GrinchNoMore

Yes it is true they are paranoid. But one can also confuse being paranoid with being cautious, where do we draw the line??

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Uh oh, these weren't the same soldiers hunting out "insurgents" I hope!

"They were hiding in plain sight, all we had to do was pull the trigger"!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Since people are getting a real good laugh out of this nationwide even, it might actually be a good time to really make some coins into bugs and tracking devices, since people will just laugh at anyone suspicious of them being used that way

It would be the perfect camoflage for a bug, except when people spend them their usefulness would be ruined if you were tracking a specific person... Funny stuff either way...

new topics

top topics

join