It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young rappers arrested in Iran

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

Western culture is not going away anytime soon, and neither is eastern culture or Middle Eastern culture, South American, African etc etc. I take part in my country in the form of elections at all levels of government, and speak my mind when I disagree with what my government does. So I am active in cleaning up my back yard.

Since in my backyard I am able to speak my mind and offer my opinion, i did just that talking about this article. I would love to hear from Iranians on this, but I don't think they have internet access from their backyard, or the jail cell they would be in if they got caught commenting on this topic in any other fashion other than down with the great Satan.

There are plenty of people who express their desire for the American Government to collapse, and that is their opinion, just as mine is for the Iranian regime to collapse.

You don't like rap music, that's your thing and their is nothing wrong with that. My point is you have the freedom to listen to it, or not listen to it. On the off chance you do listen to it, you won't be arrested for it, unlike people in Iran.

Music is a form of expression. In many instances music is used to creatively and artistically express peoples support or frustration on any given topic.

A few examples from America:

Amazing Grace
Battle Hymn of the Republic
US National Anthem
Emenem
My country tis of thee

These songs / artist vented their frustrations about the system through song and lyrics. Not allowing someone to express that through song (check the music video posted in this thread for Iranian rap music and see what he is talking about). When the Government refuses to allow expression, it creates a powder keg that will eventually come apart.

Don't believe me? How about a nice rendition of Swing low sweet chariot?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
reply to post by Xcathdra

unless you are going to turn this into another propaganda related rant about the Great Satin's impact on Iranian culture, blaming them for societal decay there while ignoring the fact their own Government does it to themselves.

No I wasn't going to go down that route, it's been done to death! Plus I owe alot to the 'Great Satan'

Nononon not you.. My bad.. poor choice of sentence structure. The part you pointed out was a continuation of my thought process in terms of what the Iranian government was going to do, not you. I was pointing out the sole reason for identifying the musical instruments as western was for a purely propaganda effect.

They are saying not only is the rap, or western style music, a detriment, but the instruments that come from the west can be considered just as evil for the sounds it can create. The insinuation is anything from the west, including inanimate objects, are problematic in Iranian culture as the Government sees it.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I would love an Iranian style clamp down on the X-factor. There is truly music with no message or benefit to humanity.

I would be interested to hear the material these rappers are producing, especially the lyrics, because that's what it is all about. What I would like to point out in regards to music based censorship it has occurred in America in the past too. Particularly in regards to NWA.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (F.B.I.) decided music was within its realm of concern in 1989 when it sent a letter on Department of Justice stationary to Brian Turner, president of Priority Records. Priority released a song by the rap group N.W.A. entitled "---- tha Police" (the dashes are part of the title.) The letter, written by F.B.I. chief spokesman Milt Ahlerich, says the song "encourages violence against and disrespect for the law enforcement officer." It continues, "I wanted you to be aware of the F.B.I.’s position relative to the song and it’s message. I believe my views reflect the opinion of the entire law enforcement community" (Pareles 1989). Although the letter contains no specific threat, one need only remember the F.B.I.’s involvement in suppressing alternative newspapers in the 1960s and 70s to realize what kind of fear the F.B.I. is capable of inducing. As a result of Ahlerich’s letter, local police departments have been reluctant to provide security officers for N.W.A. concerts, resulting in the cancellation of shows. The Bureau’s action was its first pertaining to a work of art, but not its biggest. N.W.A. was treated lightly compared to actions taken against photographer Robert Mappelthorpe and the art gallery his works were displayed in. An analogous action in music would be the removal of an artist’s records from stores and the confiscation of any works in progress.

www.noisebetweenstations.com...

Perhaps these rappers were singing 'F**k the Ayatollah' whilst simultaneously trespassing and partaking in underage drinking... We will have to wait for further details.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: To add 'S' and italics.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I get it now but it slipped past me at first
. Although I will point out that I only asked you if you were a bigot, I never called you one. I wouldn't be in the business of telling you what you are, and my apologies for the misunderstanding!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

valid points, but eventually the FBI lost that one because of the 1st amendment. I know Iran does not have that, so their Government is free to enforce whatever they want, whether I agree with it or not. My point is even music, freedom of expression through talent, is even stifled. It would be one thing if they gave a valid reason, however they did not.

Un-Islamic is the excuse given... I would also like to know if these kids are Muslims, or another religion.

Its music... its words... These kids were doing something that gave them a creative outlet. For a Government to be scared of music.... Says a lot about society today.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

No worries man its cool. Ive been called a lot worse. Plus this is a forum. Kind of hard to read emotion, sarcasm etc when just text is present.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

We can definitely agree there is alot worse things they could of been doing than being creative. If their punishment does amount to more than a night in the cells, then it is most certainly an indication of excessive force and part of a clamp down. Hopefully a caution, is all that comes of it, it would certainly add to their street cred!

Plus (assuming these Iranian rappers have been physically threatened) as far as I am aware NWA were never threatened lashes by the FBI.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Lol @ nwa comment

I guess what gets me the most is the fact that people want to wait and see what type of punishment these kids get before commenting. To me, just the simple fact they are in trouble at all, for music of all things, just does not sit well with me.

CNN International carried the story. It was reported from the INLA (Iranian news). I found the site, but when I clicked English it just displayed top World stories, and nothing domestic related.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Wow, love the tests trying to defend a vote stealing dictator who arrests kids for making a song and STONES TO DEATH gay 16 year olds. Yea, that's one reason why I'm anxious for Iran's government to fail.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

No you dont know. Hip Hop is not what you see on Empty V.....
Just like CNN and FOX news probably dont give you the full story.
So rappers should not be arrested.
Violence in songs? Degrading women? Cussing?
Wow,
go rent a movie....
So its ok to watch a movie where all those things are happening?
I didnt understand your reply, sorry.
It wouldnt surprise me that Hip Hop in Iran would be illegal, Hip Hop is a tool for expression.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Oozy must be tied up in someones closet. There is no way he would miss this thread. I am feeling really really Anti-Iran... I strongly desire him to show up and set me straight.

oozy in 10.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1 oozy?

has anyone confirmed ... Is rap music Illegal in Iran?.. Or is this some youngsters drinking and trespassing?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Resurrectio

Illegal in Iran for being un-islamic and Western influence.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join