It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Shear Glider" concept, has anyone done it yet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I was reading some various things lately when the topic of vehicles powered by the wind has been brought up as a subject of discussion in the news. Basically these vehicles can go any direction (up-wind, down wind, etc) as long as there's a difference in speed between wind and ground or wind and water.

Getting the principle down to the basics, all these vehicles use the idea that a difference in velocity exists between two media which the vehicle is in contact with. So if a fluid-solid (air-ground) version works and a fluid-fluid (air-water) works, then there shouldn't be anything keeping yet another fluid-fluid (air-air) version from working.

The concept isn't that hard once you get the gist of it. Applying what is known already, it should be possible to propel an aircraft kept across a wind-shear by nothing more than the wind-shear itself. Now before ruling it out as too difficult, consider that I was thinking along the lines of a glider pulled along in the lower atmosphere by tractor kites somewhere in the jet-stream. (The kite counts as a part of the aircraft btw.) As long as you can keep the tractor kite "hooked" and given that the velocity difference in air masses is large enough, your flight endurance could be indefinite. (I also don't see why you couldn't do a variation utilizing electric motors on the main aircraft and a generator carrying gyro-kite sending power down the line. That seems like an easier solution for going up-wind without requiring too crazy a flight profile and stress on the tow line.)

Now imagine this principle applied to a military UAV. Initially it would get up to high altitude on battery or engine power. Then it deploys the tractor kite and does shear gliding. Now you recharge your batteries with solar, and as long as you keep shear gliding all the energy resources can go to the onboard packages instead of propulsion. That means you could optimize payload without dedicating the majority to fuel or batteries.

Of course if the principle is simple enough in execution, it creates the military implication that practically any country could produce a drone aircraft capable of around the world reach. (You no longer need the most efficient engine or fancy batteries, and guidance and automation are already cheap.) Which makes me wonder what countermeasures may exist.

I've heard of no manned flights using this principle yet. I think it would also make for an interesting and unusual around the world manned flight challenge. Balloons and normal powered flight have all been done before, and I believe this one would be more interesting as it takes a bit more skill to pull off.

Oh, and I just found this: oai.dtic.mil...
There really might be something to the idea since it's not that new. The difference is that now have the technology (cheap computers and control systems) to seriously consider exploiting it.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Great original post.

This appears to be a valid idea when you think about it for a while. I don't see why a shear in fluid movement would not keep an aircraft aloft (or non-rigid body). There are no physical laws that state that the energy source would need to be only within the body (vehicle). They essentially do something like this with the radio control glider dynamic soaring that is done on the mountain slopes of the western United States.

Dynamic Soaring - Wikipedia

I'd imagine that a research and development group has looked into a similar phenomenon and may have developed the capability to deploy certain ISR operations.
edit on 14-12-2010 by TAGBOARD because: (no reason given)

new topics

join