It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENOUGH! Manners in the Aliens/UFO Forum and those who habitually deride, insult, and just LOVE being

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
This has turned into rebellious children, questioning authority.

I'd agree. However I'd change the terms from 'rebellious children' to 'unfairly targeted dissidents' and 'authority' to 'business policy of something they helped create through content'.

That said, ATS is still be best of the bunch when it comes to conspiracy theory and/or paranormal studies websites and I'm sure even those who are ardent in their stance against focusing on debunkers remain sceptical to the benefits found here.

-m0r

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

How long do YOU think thats going to last? It will only take a few people to start to discredit this site. This was the place to learn and listen, share and discuss. The date that I became a member and when I started posting was about a year in between.

I thought I didn't have the "right" stuff to even write here. Now, I write with passion, and commitment, and I cannot even get a glance past the "alien that can tell the future of the prophecy of the breaking news".

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Now, I write with passion, and commitment, and I cannot even get a glance past the "alien that can tell the future of the prophecy of the breaking news"

I highly doubt a sceptical mind wrote that particular thread NRE.

I'd also say that's the crux of the matter with this thread.

We, as members of this site, have chosen to 'Deny ignorance' and yet are being told just now to 'Deny ignorance in such a way as to not upset the poor person who is going out of their way to perpetuate it, or better yet. Don't deny it. Say nothing whatsoever if it's such an obvious hoax don't post in it. It only helps it get to the front page more if you reply'.

The tilt of the balance has already occurred. Traffic generation over quality of information is the larger force here.

I say change mindset, see the site as entertainment and enjoy!

I even tell people with rubbish YouTube videos of stage lights that I see UFOS (most likely birds in that case) as it is a better rebuttal than actually correcting them on the nonsensical matter. Prove the hoaxers, charlatans and easily led correct and then we'll be told to stop doing that as they've all joined Heaven's Gate 2.0

Sometimes to benefit the majority you must play the other side

-m0r

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

I agree, and I will see some of you on the "flip side". This is the price that is paid for the amount, and not the cost. We all know that this will sort itself out. The time just seems to be pending... you know depending on the "new" front page.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by andrewh7
reply to post by Springer

If someone has a genuine video, they they aren't going to be discouraged by a few naysayers.

Just my two cents

Please post the links to the study which confirms this.

Thanks in advance...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Thank you!!! I dont think I could have said it better myself! I strongly agree with you, and it gets very irritating, for me, im sceptical but not ignorant, im a science major at wsuniversity so I tend to think analytically naturally, but for anyone to tell me I havent seen what Ive seen, or saying a light in the sky at night that zig zags back in forth alongside like 20 witnesses is just impossible gets very irritating. For the way you think and the mostly intelligent debates on this website is exactly why I joined ATS, and man, im gettin addicted lol. Thanks for keepin it real, it sounds like you needed to vent.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by marriah3330
Thank you!!! I dont think I could have said it better myself! I strongly agree with you, and it gets very irritating, for me, im sceptical but not ignorant, im a science major at wsuniversity so I tend to think analytically naturally, but for anyone to tell me I havent seen what Ive seen, or saying a light in the sky at night that zig zags back in forth alongside like 20 witnesses is just impossible gets very irritating. For the way you think and the mostly intelligent debates on this website is exactly why I joined ATS, and man, im gettin addicted lol. Thanks for keepin it real, it sounds like you needed to vent.

Ditto, my scientific, analytical mind generally leads the way but I like to balance it out with some out there thinking and it's nice to have this kind of subject matter to hand to look at the world differently.

I am a sceptic too, mainly in light of the recent surge in sightings etc (I personally believe a big hoax is about to be played out and the '3D holographic' ships we are seeing in the sky are being projected down by a series of satellites etc...) but I respect the right of the people who post on here.

If someone is genuinely being an arse about something then fair play but I have seen recent threads where the OP has been ripped to shreds and the argument has gone so far off course that it's not even relevant anymore. For example a recent poster had a thread with a video, the usual stuff and was genuinely just curious and asking for opinions - this person had not stated their intent or their beliefs yet some how by about 10 pages this person was being accused of all sorts of things that were out right character assassinations.

There is some real venom and hatred on this board and it doesn't just stop at the racists bigotry and religious phobia.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
OK, I like this one Springer.

Now, lets see how many of you will "LOL" after reading this :

I already made public in my threads and posts here that I had contact many times with E.T.s and I saw them face to face. I also watched many youtube videos an honestly some of them are hard to debunk even for someone with the kind of experiences I have. In that sense, many times debunkers helped me to see the difference. This CGI thing is really good and can fool anybody, debunkers with technical backround are a great contribution, even if sometimes they can be wrong. One unacceptable thing is when a "wannabe" debunker say "The video is fake because nobody sounds sorprised and nobody scream "UFO!!!".

Anyway, don't worry Springer.....soon our friends up there will show up in the way everybody is waiting for, and there will be nothing to debunk. I'm 100% sure.
edit on 8-11-2010 by Trueman because: fix text

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Why don't you just Ban them?

I don't understand why you allow personal attacks?

If you're young and believe in UFO's then ATS is not the place to go,

This group of people who continuously moan all the time, call members "Insane" trolls, idiots... etc, etc
should be banned immediately today before they destroy ATS.

I have a huge list of names and despicable quotes that I will share if you like?

If not then don't worry because I'm making a thread called: "Abhorrent members"
maybe you can pick them off from there...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Seventytwo

I fear that might be against T & C's.

2nd

VvV

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I agree with the OP completely, and to be quite frank, it shouldn't be that hard to maintain a sense of general propriety towards other forum members. Decorum is a word that is being frequently used on these forums, one would think it had sunk in by now.

Although I am a fairly new member on ATS, I have noticed a decline in civility and manners the past few months compared to when I first joined up. I can only speculate as to what the reasons may be, perhaps there has been an influx of teenagers thinking that's the way one is supposed to argue when in disagreement with other peoples views. Who knows...

One thing's for sure though, a change in the opposite direction than where it's heading would make this place alot more pleasant.

PS: There's a difference between accepting other peoples views and tolerating them. If one is in a disagreement with another, sometimes it's better to tolerate that their views differ from your own. No one's required to accept others' views as their own.
edit on 8/11/10 by Droogie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by Seventytwo

I fear that might be against T & C's.

2nd

VvV

Why worry about T & C?

no one else seems to when it comes to rude manners.
edit on 043030p://f24Monday by Seventytwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by RICH-ENGLAND

wow what condescending moderators...

I have to say I agree. I added some comments above about how to improve matters generally and got a response with lots of WOW and YOU JUST DONT GET IT.

I expected moderators and site owners to have better communication skills than trolls. Doesn't bode well for the site as a whole IMHO. What was wrong with "those are good ideas, but this isnt the place for them, start a thread here..." or whatever?

edit
k i know this is like 12hrs too late but it's time differences you see!

I get that people need to be civil on forums, but there are other things you can do to stop the annoyance of threads going on too long after a conclusion has been reached. Why not implement some of that to assist in this matter?
eg: check this thread. page 2, a video is posted of someone editing in the ufo in a CG package. That is the END. However the thread goes on and on with people saying it's a real mothership etc. Myself and others repeatedly notify posters that the answer is on page 2. It gets ignored. The thread gets filled with comments from people who are sick of being ignored, so CAPS come out and tempers get shorter. Why? because having the thread go on and on causes it to be a hot topic, for weeks after the topic gets echoed around the internet and misquoted. This cycle then discredits any further stories of a similar nature.
People STILL think that a village in China was vaporised by a UFO. The highest search term on my website at the moment is "china ufo village". It was acknowledged that no event happened and it stemmed from a social networking status message that was taken out of context. There was a blue orb video which had nothing to do with the "event" which was wrongly attached to the story. Leaving threads in this state is fuelling the fire of untruths and ultimately discredits ATS as a whole. If threads could be closed/marked when an answer is found, it would stop the build up of tension that occurs when people refuse to read the whole thread, thus keeping stress levels down for the existing participants of the threads. I created my own SITE because of this problem. I try and summarise all sources with one post that i continually update with the latest info. I've had lots of feedback saying how this is very important for people who don't have the time to visit all sites and read everything.

edit on 8-11-2010 by ceetee because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-11-2010 by ceetee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The best thing about this thread IMHO is what it proved on the very first page. Some of the more hardcore skeptics and debunkers never bother to read the OP completely before they post.

They NEVER read anymore than a thread title, title of a video or the first line of the OP before they make their first post. NEVER

On the subject of calling others trolls. I've done this. Internet trolls are next to impossible for me to ignore. When I see them here on ATS and it's more than obvious they are just here to troll and de-rail threads, I feel the need to call them out on it. I ignore it a lot, but there are times where I just cant, but I'll start to try.

It's juat hard when you see posts like this a lot:

"fake
2nd line"

"These were proven fake already a while back
Thanks"

They will post stuff like that and never bother backing up anything they say and get angry when you bring that fact up. The whole "2nd line" thing is also annoying. I think I've used that once and even I was annoyed that I did that. My opinion is if they can't even think of enough to say that would fill two simple lines, they shouldn't even bother to make a post. Some of them do it because they know it will annoy others and that's when my troll meter goes off.

Sorry for ranting, but needed to get that off my chest.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I would say most of youtubes are not about the UFO factor, but more about: hey look at me, I'm on youtube and I got 2 million hits.

It's also intersting how skeptics and believers view evidence.
If your a believer and there's no evidence, it's proof the Government is covering it up.
If your a skeptic and there's no evidence, then it's not proof of anything.

If there really was any real physical evidence, there would be no skeptics.
So unless somebody comes up with some real physical evidence, there's going
to be skeptics around for a long time.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
So, we have to dance around the emotions of believers because they can't handle criticism over the internet very well? Why is it so easy to offend this particular group of people, while the skeptics are essentially forced to take attacks in stride?

I think the first time I've noticed everything going sour was when ATS changed its entire format and message board system so that only registered members can search the forum effectively or look at the content. (Though, there are ways around it, obviously.)

Then there was being asked to not block pop-up adds before that, of all things. Now we have movie adds for Hollywood alien invasion flicks taking up any open space that isn't text.

Heck, all I have to do is glance up at the constant bold-text-shouting-of-rules that abounds everywhere even above this very reply entry field to know that this thing is going down in flames. Is it really necessary?

It's really a shame. Why does a good website like this have to go down in such a way?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al

If there really was any real physical evidence, there would be no skeptics.

I would still be skeptical.

So you clearly do not speak for this skeptic.

*What sort of physical evidence do you think would eliminate skepticism on the matter?

A saucer?

Built with the black budget using secret technology. Yup, it is probably that.

Alien Bodies?

Nice try. Humanity has genetic engineering technology, this could be that. It is far more likely than aliens. Occam's Razor.

Aliens attacking cities?

Probably a False Flag attack.

Aliens abducting people, leaving implants?

Probably a secret research program run by humans, who are the ones who built the implants.

Implants have non-terrestrial metal?

That is probably just the government trying to throw us off. This is far more likely than aliens.

Alien crashes and shows up at your door begging for your help (needs to borrow cell-phone, get bandaid, emergency cheese supply etc.)?

Wrong, it is a Chinese Spy. This is far more likely than aliens so call homeland security.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adept_Zero
It's really a shame. Why does a good website like this have to go down in such a way?

What do you mean to go down? All the charts are pointing up!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adept_Zero
So, we have to dance around the emotions of believers because they can't handle criticism over the internet very well? Why is it so easy to offend this particular group of people, while the skeptics are essentially forced to take attacks in stride?

FYI,

When someone reports a UFO sighting on ATS they are not giving anyone permission to attack them.

Same for the alien believers. Just because they admit that they believe in aliens, does not mean anyone has permission to attack them or harass them.

*Folks, mods,

I wonder if the removal of the ignore function has in some way encouraged the more abusive members to ramp it up a notch, so to speak - in light of the fact that their targets can no longer remove the offending posts from their browsing experience.

Do any of you think there might be some correlation? or is this just par for the course?

Afterall, the ignore function does (or did) prevent much of the effects of the abuse from being felt by the target and even though it did not prevent the abuse, it probably did make their browsing experience more enjoyable. This shield removed, the abusive now know for certain that their abuses and insults will appear to their intended target, thus making it more worthwhile to engage in such behavior...

What do you guys think about this idea?

edit on 8-11-2010 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
What do you mean to go down? All the charts are pointing up!

It's amazing what quality user generated content does to a site eh?

Of course if you take out quality control from any system well you can guarantee the system will change.

Perhaps a temporary strike from those sceptics who feel they are being poorly treated would assist with charting the success rates.

It's only a legitimate idea used in community development not an actual request before I get slammed for organising direct action of anything.

-m0r

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join