It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENOUGH! Manners in the Aliens/UFO Forum and those who habitually deride, insult, and just LOVE being

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

LOL yeah i get what you mean. when i envision it... its more like your watching a horror movie and the only black guy says "im going out to grab some beer" everyone whos seen these movies before mutters under their breath "hes gonna die...".

Although few people get as disgusted wth predicatble plots as i do.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Fortunately, the two are not mutually exclusive, and indeed, a lack of civility almost always distracts from the topic at hand, which in turn works against the truth.

So even from a purely utilitarian perspective, courtesy still wins compared to the alternative.

It depends how far ingrained one's belief is and whether it can be separated from the individual. Thus a reposte will invariably be more 'personal' if one feels their belief is a part of their being as it were. All I say is the 'scientific method' must be upheld at all times, if attacks are made upon those who cherish it, then it must be held even higher. It's one feature of our species which has clearly defined us and separated from other 'beasts' of the world. It should be held in utter reverence and if that means making others uncomfortable then fine.

The problem I find typically with those that make extraordinary claims is they become 'uppity' if you suggest testing their claims. There are experiments one can create in order to do so. Yet sometimes when this is proposed, you get a rather dismissive answer such as "science cannot comprehend the phenomenon" and then they'll link you to some video about a guy speaking a load of rubbish (trash/garbage). It just becomes testing.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Is this actually a thing? The forum moderators/administrators would (In not so many words) like to minimize the scrutiny and skepticism? I hope this thread is in jest. The UFO research field is stigmatized and ridiculed precisely because of the frequency of hoaxes and the gullible individuals who tout some of the really obvious ones as proof of extraterrestrials. I'm an enthusiast....but, skepticism is a MUST. All cases should be dissected and scrutinized from every angle. If every joe here agreed and happily patted every member posting a thred on the back, this place would be a useless, one-sided cult. Thankfully, opinions are for the most part, welcomed. And yes, ridiculous claims should be ridiculed. I don't see why they should not. Because they hurt people's feelings? What the hell?
edit on 22-5-2012 by Unidentified_Objective because: typo

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Unjustified Frivolous Objections

reply to post by Unidentified_Objective

The quest for misunderstanding continues...

As has been pointed out ad nauseam, from the very first post in this thread right up to this one, and repeatedly ignored by an astounding number of members, skepticism is quite welcome in the Aliens & UFOs, now, as always, ever and anon.

All ATSers are invited and encouraged to share their candid opinions about any topic discussed in this forum, pro, con or indifferent, and no one is ever expected to agree to any opinion they disagree with. Many of us, myself included, are professed skeptics and loathe to accept any claim without convincing, credible evidence to support it. We expect no less of anyone else, and certainly will not give anyone grief for expressing skepticism about any subject.

What is not welcome here, or anywhere else on ATS for that matter, are ad hominem attacks, trolling or any of the other odious behavior that all too often results in account bans. That's what this thread is about, as even the most casual review of the OP and thread body will quickly confirm.

The reason "debunkers" have been specifically mentioned has to do with the overwhelming preponderance of problems which result when some individuals take it upon themselves to insult, harass and ridicule people who come to the Aliens & UFOs forum to discuss -- *gasp* -- aliens and UFOs. It's a real problem that we have to deal with on a continual basis.

Whatever one's opinions about the topics discussed or their credibility, such behavior is never appropriate for any reason whatsoever, which is why there are so many reminders about it.

Members come to these forums to talk about subjects that they can't discuss in many other venues precisely because of such harassment. If we were to allow it to take place unchallenged, we might as well shut the forum down. Rather than let a minority of ill-behaved members do that, we prefer to defend the forum instead and correct such misconduct as required.

Any argument in favor of allowing anyone to ridicule, ostracize, insult or abuse any member for any reason is absolutely unacceptable, and such activity leads rapidly away from continued participation in our forums. Because we are often faced with ignorance as a defense when we call such misbehavior to account, we do our best to ensure such ignorance is denied before trouble arises.

I find it amazing that such a basic expectation as courtesy meets such stiff opposition from some members. It's irrational and incompatible with basic norms for civil discourse.

Perhaps most ironically of all, and as this thread amply illustrates, the case for self-justified rudeness in this forum has already been thoroughly, extensively and exhaustively debunked.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Perhaps a simple change of the title would help to clear up the repeated misunderstandings?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
PROJECTS WENT DOWN THE DRAIN!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Well Said mate

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MoeFugga

Oh! 3/5 same topic. I think you are an alien.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
Any chance we could have the believers that they need to supply basic info about their videos and what their opinion upon the subject matter at hand?

Just seems fair that they comply with what we hope people supply in order to back up their claims.

I understand that it's not always easy to supply information related to the video found, but it would be good to have an opinion of what they thing the video is about.

I've seen lots of videos posted with no further info provided and it makes it harder to empathise with the poster.

I hope you understand what I'm tying to state.

-m0r

The only problem I see with that is that in a lot of instances, the people providing the video links here are not the owner, uploader of the video. A lot of times, people find these videos in YouTube searches, or a friend forwards it to them, or they find it on their own to bolster their claims. If you are not the originator of the video, it's probably hard for you to provide a history of details about it.

I myself am getting ready to provide some YouTube links for an thread unrelated to UFO discussion here, but the reason I have not done so is because I haven't finished making the videos, so I can't until they are finished and uploaded. Most people don't bother with that, they simply find and post what others have made.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Sorry, after reading your post again, I guess I didn't understand exactly what you were getting at. While I still stand by my original statement, I would hope people here at least have a basic understanding of what they are posting before they provide the link to the video.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
To be honest, I think the whole concept of credibility is uncertain at best when dealing with UFOs/Aliens. With every piece of hard evidence, there are many times more hoaxes and frauds. It's probably very easy to post a homade UFO video anywhere on the internet and make it believeable with enough effects, at least temporarily. The Information Age is wonderful to an extent. But when you have thousands of users with too much time on their hands they want to post things to get recognition.

I really believe there are is a lot of genuine footage and documentation out there, but it's the hoaxers that makes it hard for the real dealers to be believed.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
yes!!

i agree, read it again.
it has gotten worse than before

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

So exited!!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Truth be told some skeptics on this site come off as condescending and downright mean. This is a site for people to share their opinions in a civil manner. Problem is civility is list on some people. Just because some anonymous person on the internet claims a video is CG, Chinese lanterns, etc and never provide any evidence. Just their word as the end all be all. And then have the nerve to deride someone for posting eyewitness accounts and video evidence. It's sad.

And seeing the skeptics react like scalded dogs to this thread is funny. Half of them didn't even bother to read the op. Typical.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Is this really such a topic of unrest on ATS as to have repeated revisions and proclamations on the subject?

Many, by your and the Mods own admission on ATS Live and here, threads on the topic are bunk. Others (much fewer) are unexplained.

I can't think of anyone lately that has been insulting or condescending in the debunking of fake youtube vids by known fakers.

Actual unidentified vids and photos are just met with speculation lately from what I've seen.

Why the need to refresh the title and tell those who don't accept what "joey anonymous" on youtube has to say, to tone it down?

I don't get it.

And then there are those saying there were never ovens in the WWII concentration camps and the holocaust is bunk and they are free to fire at will.

edit on 7/20/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: sp

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Shut it down. Shut it all down.

There's really nothing more to be said in the "Aliens/UFO" Forum, because the unidentified stuff is just that -- unidentified -- and THERE AIN'T NO ALIENS! It's all just a lot of nonsense and conjecture.

The forum has devolved into the continuous reposting of fuzzy, fake or otherwise stupid YouTube videos, interspersed with the occasional religious fanatic going on about how Jesus says aliens are demons so you better watch out.

Ugh, it's all just become too much. Too ridiculous to do anything but mock.

Shut it down. Game over.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Because a standard must be adhered to. While it may seem inconceivable to not feel the urge to pull your hair out regarding some posts, the line to cross is not necessarily in the same place for others. Too much micromanaging would be involved to monitor posts. Everyone has the right to post something completely "out there" without fear of reprisal.

As for hitler. Perhaps you didn't see this thread posted three days before you.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Dr. Howard Percy Robertson knew a great deal about UFOs, but you will not find any such information in his papers, even to debunk them. Nothing.

Nor will you find that he was a classified employee of the CIA.

One suggestion I would make to anyone who is really serious about UFOs is to try and locate Dr. Robertson's UFO papers. If they still exist, though, I think that will be very difficult

www.oac.cdlib.org...

edit on 25-7-2012 by DrSwampGas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
To me it just matters on the opinion of the person on the existence of alien life.

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join