It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression is NOT a Real Disorder

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Well just a point..
many of the big company owners, ceo´s, leaders, hollywood people, high level engineers, high level of performers..have a bipolar personality(manodepressive) the just don´t dare to talk about it, it´s much shame involved in this state..and this is persons many of us look up to..
So there is not any wrong to be Bipolar, just a different way to live..some times you is a high performer, sometimes you need to sort the many many many thoughts in your head and thats when you disapear for a while..acceptance start with education..and people wich don´t understand why some people are depressive sometimes, just aren´t on this level..

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN
I'm not going to bother responding to any of you individually who are disputing the claims made by those of us who have stated that we have depression because I feel no need to. It would be a waste of my time to debate something that I am experiencing and going through with you because it is something I am experiencing - not you. Therefore, I don't need your uninformed inputs.

How is it possible my input is uninformed exactly? (You know you cannot and will NOT answer)
Because it would expose your narcissistic tendencies you've displayed here for everyone to see.

Are you trying to tell me that your depression is somehow unique and that
your prognosis is somehow worse than mine? Do you feel like you need more
sympathy than others simply because you "feel" no one could possible every understand
your position when you don't know the first thing in problem solving? -Exactly.

Originally posted by PETROLCOINAll I'm going to say to all of you who have made it obvious you do not understand depression is that your assumptions and irrational "advice" - and in particular your belittling, degrading, and insulting of anyone claiming to have depression - are irresponsible, ignorant, and immature.

(1) I've NEVER belittled, degraded, nor insulted ANY ONE who feels depressed or suffers from it...(FACT)
However your hypersensitivity coupled to your advanced form of bigotry contends to tell
a different story than one you write about. Having a myopic false opinion on someone else
when you have NO way of knowing what they themselves have gone through while propagating and
perpetually garnering sympathy for yourself in the form of creating such a unique and higher pedestal for
you and your flaws to sit upon speaks mountainous volumes of YOUR lack of empathy
for someone else who HAS suffered through horrible things in his/her lifetime. (Fact)

(2) Your generalisations are false, and are consistently devoid of rational thinking
yet you self proclaim yourself king of your own dim-lit universe in the form of special
forms of depression?

(3) You allow your emotions to get the best of you...
Get over yourself sir, and identify the problem.
I'll give you a hint: The problem isn't everyone else (hint hint)
The problem is YOUR carefully crafted prison created by your mind...

Originally posted by PETROLCOINI realize this is a conspiracy site and there were bound to be a few from the anti-Big Pharma crowd (which I am a part of, by the way... another incorrect assumption of many of you) strolling in to this thread, but what it ultimately boils down to is that I know what I feel and I am intelligent enough to understand what I feel (without the aid of a doctor) and none of you can change that. That is not me being stubborn or naive... that is me choosing to listen to my body and mind over a person on the Internet.
I beat depression everyday and I consistently continue to do so through the power of my mind.
No one said you need a doctor, quite the contrary in my extensive professional opinion/personal intuition.

While you feel it isn't stubborn or naive consider this:
*I* started to counter balance depression with positive thinking.
*I* (on a daily basis) defeat depression because *I* have chosen to LIVE a happy, unimpeded life.

Ask yourself why you can't?
Could it be your rude and inconsiderate refusal to administer my suggestions also
correlate to the FACT you are still depressed? (The answer is a resounding yes, btw)

Could it be that I have bruised your grandiose EGO-based thought processes
because I have done what you have failed to do (by your own admission and choice) ???

Originally posted by PETROLCOINThere are those of you who think you're "helping" by playing the "tough love" role, while there are those of you who think you're bad asses for letting us all know how great and tough you are for either never suffering from depression or overcoming your depression, but no matter which of the two you are, I just have one simple request: Keep it to yourself. I don't care what you have to say. I know what is going on inside my head; I know what I need and do not need to do; .

There is no tough love in all of my life's experience.
You either love someone unconditionally or you don't.
You have a LOT to learn about unconditional love, which is partly the reason
why you still suffer from depression as you do.

Last:
This is a public forum and YOU posted in a public forum: a public thread
and tacitly agreed for ATS members to post in this thread.

If you believe in free speech you must also respect the words from someone
with whom you disagree with.

If you don't:
You don't believe in free speech at all...(FACT)

The fact: you do not care what I have to say (because you HATE)
Tells me you hate yourself, which is quite quite sad to me.

Originally posted by PETROLCOINI know what I think and feel. I am going to listen to me and do what I feel is right and I could not care any less what you think

This is WHY you have learned nothing, but B-lame everything else because of
your ignorance and lack of an open mind which is the key to your rehabilitation.

See, you said: "I know what I think and feel..."
The problem is: this is correct.

If you do NOT know of the solution, nor the way to resolution HOW in the world
can you achieve this since you obviously do NOT know of it yet????????

The proof: YOU'RE STILL DEPRESSED!!!

To know how you feel is to know you CAN change it.
To allow your mind (which can run on its own without original thought) the
latitude to change it is paramount to even allow change to happen.

edit on 12-11-2010 by Chinesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Chinesis

He isn't talking to or about you. He is directing his frustrations toward those that claim depression is not real and doesn't affect people in a real way.

I am frustrated myself at people that claim such things just because it isn't them. Ignorance may be bliss, but don't think telling us we are wrong will make us blissful.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Modern Americana

You are finnaly catching on to this guy? I seen this guy a week ago.. Anyway..

I have a video in that suicide thread called What its like by Everlast..

I don't think people should make a judgment on someone because they have never walked in that persons shoes.. Just because one person who I ironically thinks he is some god to ?????? ?? people, well let me tell you..

If i were to get fixed and be like him, I want no part of it, I would rather live my life screwed up than me someone who preaches about how I over came my problems now bow before me type crap..

Chinese or whatever your name is.. This is why I don't listen to you.. This is why I don't take your advice.. I have ways of getting around my issues, I will use those..

But then again I see things people don't, Thanks for your statements... really...

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Modern Americana

He isn't talking to or about you. He is directing his frustrations toward those that claim depression is not real and doesn't affect people in a real way.

I am frustrated myself at people that claim such things just because it isn't them. Ignorance may be bliss, but don't think telling us we are wrong will make us blissful.

You're absolutely right on all counts.

I don't like it when someone tries to shove their misinformed opinions
on an illness (mental or not) due to a misplaced form of hypochondria down
my throat when they've not experienced the many debilitating symptoms/syndromes
that come with these types of illnesses.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
There is much ignorance regarding "depression" and the media/popular view is lagging behind neuroscience.
Depression is associated with
1. Reversible structural abnormalities of neurons - mainly dendritic spines.
2. Increased immunogenic response - increased tumor necrosis factor.
3. Genetic abnormalities - 5HTTLPR genetic variation.
4. Environmental events.
If one argues the point that depression or excessive self-pity is not a disease without knowledge of these facts then one is arguing with a fanatic or a fool.
It is interesting that people with depression may respond to various modalities e.g.
PATIENT – SPONTANEOUS REGAINING OF INSIGHT.
PEOPLE – PARTNER, RELATIVES, FRIENDS, TEACHERS, CLERGY (CHURCH OR MOSQUE), DOCTORS, PSYCHOLOGISTS, SELF-HELP GROUPS. PETS.
PLACES – POSITIVE, PLEASANT ENVIRONMENT.
THINGS – MATERIAL THINGS E.G. HOUSE, CAR.
PHYSICAL EXERCISE.
SEX.
MENTAL EXERCISE.
MUSIC.
DIET – E.G. OMEGA -3 ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS, CURCUMIN.
DRUGS – E.G. ANTI-DEPRESSANTS (FLUOXITENE), ANTI-PSYCHOTICS (CLOZAPINE), FEMALE SEX HORMONES.
CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, NICOTINE AND ILLICIT DRUGS (SOME ARE RECOGNISED TO PROMOTE DENDRITIC SPINE GROWTH).
ELECTRO-CONVULSIVE THERAPY
DIRECT/INDIRECT BRAIN STIMULATION.
TRANSCRANIAL MAGNETIC STIMULATION THERAPY.
In my father`s case prolonged hospital admission, anti-depressants and ECT were ineffective. However, the birth of his grand-daughters and them calling him grandad and giving him presents led to to significant clinical improvement.
In another case a taxi-driver who was driving his car and was involved in a car crash killing his wife who was the front seat passenger was depressed for 2 years, but then somehow gained sponteneous insight and developed gratitude i.e. the opposite of self-pity. He changed his life around which became more bearable.
Depression is associated with extreme stubborness and it takes a gifted person to jemmy open the mind of a patient suffering with severe depression.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
You are finnaly catching on to this guy?

Just so we're clear here...So I'm a used car salesman to you?
(You feel) I'm trying to sell you something so in the end when you're "healed'
I can write a book and gain superficial notoriety because I helped you?
I want to take full credit for your recovery?

Speaking of IRONY:

Originally posted by ThichHeadedI don't think people should make a judgment on someone because they have never walked in that persons shoes

You don't think people should make judgments on someone because they haven't
ever walked in that person's shoes YET you are judging me based on the fact you
haven't walked in my shoes...

Originally posted by ThichHeaded.. Just because one person who I ironically thinks he is some god to ?????? ?? people, well let me tell you..

Can you really try and act like an adult?
I'm NO God and never felt self righteous EVER when talking to you about this subject matter.
You're angry, which means your high off the charts I.Q (your self proclaimed genius stature)
compromises your ability to rationally reply to people you have no right denigrating them or their character.

I will be the 1st to say I'm far from perfect!
I mess up daily. Do I pander for people to prop me back up?

Or do I find the power within myself (that is also within yourself) to overcome
a feeling that presumes to take hold of your very consciousness.

Originally posted by ThichHeadedIf i were to get fixed and be like him, I want no part of it, I would rather live my life screwed up than me someone who preaches about how I over came my problems now bow before me type crap..

Here is another reality check for you:
The advice I've given you isn't "MY advice."
They are the natural steps taken in order to overcome, and recover.

This is why you state you'd rather be your depressed/suicidal self than to be cured
because then *I* would seemingly take the wind out of your sails, and reap all of the
wondrous rewards being on Dr. Phil, Oprah and Dateline, basking in pool rich with
my out of control Ego, claiming as long as everyone listens to me, they will be free
happy and ripe with fruitful rewards from the heavens to the seas! (Really man, really?)

I do not subscribe to any religion on this Earth, therefore I don't preach.
I haven't any sermons only empirical knowledge on the subject of depression because

(you're too arrogant and self-righteous to give respect and credit towards the fact that I've)

-Suffered from every conceivable symptom/syndrome/mental illness the text
books are ripe with...I was taken against my will, robbed of my dignity and individuality.

-Overcome the problem through self realisation and taking responsibility for all of the
blame I've selfishly bestowed upon everyone else, never looking in the mirror (as you've yet to try)

What is worse here is that there are millions of starving children that die each year...
Innocent woman and children/entire families being wiped out in the name of genocide and wars.
The ones who do live can see their families' faces over and over again as they were murdered
right in front of their eyes...YET you have the audacity to disrespect their situations due to a false
sense of entitlement that precludes YOU from seeing these facts as evidence of your
ego. You have a much better chance at LIFE, and an exponentially greater chance
of making something of yourself compared to the walking dead out there
who haven't:

-a home, a roof, even a car to sleep in day in and out
-family/friends/ipod/smartphone, shoes with laces, pants with buttons on them, much less
-food, water and most importantly LOVE, affect, patience and understanding...

The fact is the real problem of your condition doesn't lie with doctors
medications or looking up wiki for an illness to match your feelings.

Originally posted by ThichHeadedChinese or whatever your name is.. This is why I don't listen to you.. This is why I don't take your advice.. I have ways of getting around my issues, I will use those..

Your ways of "getting around" issues is basically a band aid since you refuse to
reveal the underlying causes and get to the root of the problem.

No worries, you can only practice what you (think you) know...
You cannot be asked to be happy when you don't even know what it means or how to achieve it.
I understand.

Originally posted by ThichHeadedBut then again I see things people don't, Thanks for your statements... really...

Bingo!

You see things people don't which makes you feel you are falsely entitled to
be put on a unique and "special" pedestal where you can (with impunity)
pound your chest, and raise your voice to adversity and tell people they are
unknowing because you have abilities they don't which makes then inferior to
yourself, your condition and most importantly:

NO ONE can help you because they don't
know what you know at 18 years of age via your vast list of experiences with via assumptions
because you don't experience happiness as us "normies" do.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I'm so sorry to have questioned you, Chinesis. It has become clear to me that you were right about everything and I was wrong. You are the expert. You know what is going on inside my head and you know all the cures for it. You are pretty much a God. I consider myself healed now. I have seen the light. If I ever find myself back in a depressed state, I will ask your advice.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I'm so sorry to have questioned you, Chinesis. It has become clear to me that you were right about everything and I was wrong.

That is great news Petrolcoin!
Admission is the first step towards recovery and I'm glad to hear you've begun the process, way to go!
I accept your humble apology, and I do hope you would accept mine as well.

Originally posted by PETROLCOINI consider myself healed now. I have seen the light. If I ever find myself back in a depressed state, I will ask your advice.

Well, I wouldn't venture out to say you're healed so quickly.
Admitting you were wrong is simply the 1st (and the hardest step to take)
Taking responsibility and owning up to the blame you've put onto others would be the next step.

Originally posted by PETROLCOINYou are the expert. You know what is going on inside my head and you know all the cures for it. You are pretty much a God

You know this is pretty saddening to me.
I have no idea your age but as they say age is but a number, however
your [im]maturity level is starting to show as if your ad hominem attacks
didn't already out you as a negative and entitled protagonist...

Thanks for regurgitating what your depressed partner in crime had told me
when I answered him that I am far from infallible as I'm no God.

I should thank you for proving my point all along about you and your current state of mind.
I have endured through your petty, and child-like bantering...I've persevered throughout your
entire mantra of "nobody gets me" swagger and have yet to resort to your obviously
flawed discussion skills...A passive aggressive persona full of insecure innuendo just
doesn't "do it" for me...I'm sorry to have disappointed you.

In fact...I feel great.
I have taken nothing personal here because I do not
identify myself with your futile attempts of my character's denigration.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

I agree, in most cases causes of depression lies in oneself, and in one's habits.. Constant search for thrill and exitment will get one hooked into those hormone bursts.

Depression can be caused by many many things. But the 1 of the greatest is one's attitude.

-v

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chinesis
In fact...I feel great.

That's great! I'm happy for you.

So are we done here?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

In fact...I feel great.

So are we done here?

And there ^^^^ is your true intent.

"I know...I'll just proclaim him the king of the depressed Jews and he'll go away..."

Perhaps one day you will face your problems and issues which means
perhaps one day you will look in that mirror and reflect on your blatant disregard for help.
But I forgot...You don't need anyone's help....why?

You know it all, you've reached the pinnacle of infinite wisdom.
The truth here is all of your posts are indeed depressing...and it's so sad to watch someone
self destruct like this....slowly

edit on 13-11-2010 by Chinesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Now you are just being an ass.

Either you get a jolly out of antagonizing people that don't care for your constant opinion, or you are... I really don't see why else you would continuing to antagonize people, especially when initially they were not even talking to or about you.

That, my friends, is what we all call a troll.

Your first few insightful opinions were great... but after awhile of you constantly driveling on and on, antagonizing people that were not even talking to you, that is when you should learn the ship has sailed and it is time to leave it be.

Too much of a good thing is in fact a bad thing. Even if you believe you are in the right, which is debatable, the best thing to do in these kinds of situations is to know when to let sleeping dogs lie.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
There is a conspiracy in the pharmaceutical industry which begins with psychiatrists. You see, in the science community if there is a "disease' they try to pinpoint the cause and try to fix it for good. If they don't know what the disease is than they lock themselves in the laboratory and find a cure.

Many of these depressions, anxieties, and disorders are not curable by any pills they give you. On many accounts there has been cases where doctors put their names on papers they never wrote because of the "donations" they receive.

A lot of thee drugs pushed have some serious side effect. Many of these drugs are renamed and used as different kinds of drugs. They give you pills and more pills to offset the side effects.

There are people who need help out there. But there are a lot of misdiagnosed cases of depression. The truth is that doctors can't tell if the depression is short-term or long-term because they don't know how. All they have are questions and guesses.

I took a depression test they said I was depressed. The truth, sure I was depressed, but we all suffer depression one time or another. I am never going to take those pills they give because they are not needed, at all. I feel happy and on top of the world right now. All it took was changing some habits around and I started going to the gym.

I fixed that short-term problem and the only side effects I got was feeling good and a nicer body.

Before you take any pills the Dr. describes please research it.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Upon returning to this thread I've found what I expected. A lot of opinion supported by no facts. We're here to deny ignorance, not embrace it.

There was a poster who suggested that all the people posting here, who say they suffer, are incomprehensible. As one of those posters who suffers from depression, I would sincerely like to know exactly where I have spoken in an incoherent manner. If such an entry is pointed out to me I will be more than happy to elucidate or explain it.

Others are still prattling on about the fact that they don't believe real depression exists because they have never felt it - or have been depressed and recovered. Again, I point out, that these are two different things altogether.

For example, my nephew has seizures, but he is not epileptic. This does not mean that epilepsy does not exist. It does mean that what he suffers from is not the same thing.

So, yet again, I will state... I am diagnosed with PTSD and with generalized depression. I have been (under one label or another) diagnosed as such for nearly 3 decades. My illness effects my life. My illness has effected the lives of my loved ones - none of whom, by the way - think that I am opportunistic, lazy, self absorbed, negative, or emo. Not a single person in my real life has ever suggested that I am doing this to myself. Not one.

Then again, none of the people in my real life are anonymous strangers who don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak. It's much more difficult to spout opinionated nonsense in the real world I suppose.

I work out, have an active life, eat healthy foods, and sleep as normally as I can - dependent upon my real world responsibilities and the effects of my illness - such as insomnia. My house is in order, literally and figuratively.

So, while it may make a few feel good about themselves to come here and post constant suggestions that all depressed people fit into some kind of self-induced mold. It only compels me, more and more, to post in reply that, contrary to their views, I don't fit that mold at all. In doing so I help to shatter this deluded and archaic generalization and can help others to finally accept that they, in fact, do not know everything about this issue. In this subject just a little education can go a long way.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Modern Americana
Now you are just being an ass.

Now how is that so?
Could it be because I saw through his sarcastic and pretentiously smug post towards me?

Had he been kind, humble and sincere without telling me
"Okay, I said you are the Almighty Grilled Jesus...would you please leave now?"

It would have been the end of our discussion.
I don't deserve that kind of archaic absurdity.

I also don't feel a person with any disorder gets a free pass to passively-aggressively
denigrate someone else's character or create some sort of higher place only they can sit
on and point the finger at everyone else who may disagree with them...

Originally posted by Modern AmericanaEither you get a jolly out of antagonizing people that don't care for your constant opinion, or you are... I really don't see why else you would continuing to antagonize people, especially when initially they were not even talking to or about you.

That, my friends, is what we all call a troll.

Everyone that knows me or who's met me would never use the word antagonise
to describe me/my intent. The issue with people (more so depressed people) is that
to Thicheaded's point: (when he described people who suffer from asperger's)

"you have to watch what you say to them because they are especially liable for a meltdown
due to their mental fragility." (not an exact quote, rather a summation)

When you have to tip toe through the tulips you are essentially editing out
the advice that would serve most beneficial to them, this is not fair to them.

The major (and unfortunate underlying cause of this ^^^ behaviour) is that
those of us who battled with being insecure and inadequate beat it by NOT being
afraid of social situations/uneasy feelings that will plague us with each new and strange experience.

The problem with those "un-normies" is that they got a taste of that and are
afraid of it. Creating a wall that separates them from these experiences (of fear, loathing
hurt and of course anger) -shelters them from these experiences which on one hand
will hurt them for the time being, teach them how to beat it, on the other....

A person who feels they can beat anything has a possibility of being wrong.
A person who feels they will never beat anything is always right.

Originally posted by Modern AmericanaYour first few insightful opinions were great... but after awhile of you constantly driveling on and on, antagonizing people that were not even talking to you, that is when you should learn the ship has sailed and it is time to leave it be.

Too much of a good thing is in fact a bad thing. Even if you believe you are in the right, which is debatable, the best thing to do in these kinds of situations is to know when to let sleeping dogs lie.

You know, you are completely right here.
My intent was never to hijack this thread as it was more of a platform to
talk to and hopefully give inspiring confidence to those who would undoubtedly find this
thread and post in it...
This was my only goal and only questioned why the OP
refused to respond to my post, as we was completely aware of my posts from the get go
(in collusion with Thicheaded) namely.

Challenging someone to take responsibility for what they've done isn't easy for the protagonist
to swallow, much less comprehend. In the end I hope, I truly hope these
depressed people can find solace that there is a way, there is a solution to this
vicious cycle IF they want it to seize.

One last thing:

A person who doesn't succeed (yet does NOT stop trying) to achieve a goal: never ever fails.
The person who stops after trying-has failed.

Thank you for this post M A...
It has helped me out more than you know.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
Upon returning to this thread I've found what I expected. A lot of opinion supported by no facts. We're here to deny ignorance, not embrace it.

There was a poster who suggested that all the people posting here, who say they suffer, are incomprehensible. As one of those posters who suffers from depression

Hello there. While opinions seem to be constantly forming and always outspoken
(especially in an internet forum) it is important to note a very important thing...

*An opinion started with an idea and an idea shouldn't be personally attached to a belief.
*People will always have opinions and due to each person's complexity you will always have
disagreements. Likewise myth-busting an opinion will (usually) not result in enlightenment of the truth...

Namely because truth is self evident and 2nd, people's beliefs triumph over facts.

Originally posted by HefficideOthers are still prattling on about the fact that they don't believe real depression exists because they have never felt it - or have been depressed and recovered. Again, I point out, that these are two different things altogether.

Have you considered that people who have overcome deep depression aren't really "Cured?"
There are good times, and bad.
Even during the good times we can still feel bad while other people can see it as being irrational.

Originally posted by HefficideFor example, my nephew has seizures, but he is not epileptic. This does not mean that epilepsy does not exist. It does mean that what he suffers from is not the same thing.
Well while its sad to hear of this...But sometimes these seizures can be idiopathic...

The fact ANY disease or health problem could be considered idiopathic is another way of
a medical authoritative figure saying to you, "I have no farking clue what is the cause."

^^^This should tell you something about medically induced solutions...

Originally posted by HefficideSo, yet again, I will state... I am diagnosed with PTSD and with generalized depression. I have been (under one label or another) diagnosed as such for nearly 3 decades. My illness effects my life. My illness has effected the lives of my loved ones - none of whom, by the way - think that I am opportunistic, lazy, self absorbed, negative, or emo. Not a single person in my real life has ever suggested that I am doing this to myself. Not one.

If it's too personal I'd understand but what caused you to have PTSD.
What did you go through to warrant this diagnosis?

Have you heard of the phrase "Fight or flight?"
I'm sure each PTSD diagnosis is unique in nature due to the different circumstances
but being a person that has been diagnosed with C-PTSD (if you know what that is)
I've reverse engineered all of my traumatic based events in life and have come away
with several truths I'd like to share with you if you're willing?

Originally posted by HefficideSo, while it may make a few feel good about themselves to come here and post constant suggestions that all depressed people fit into some kind of self-induced mold. It only compels me, more and more, to post in reply that, contrary to their views, I don't fit that mold at all. In doing so I help to shatter this deluded and archaic generalization and can help others to finally accept that they, in fact, do not know everything about this issue. In this subject just a little education can go a long way

I'd like you to take something away from my posts...
A cause automatically denotes a solution, especially when you can pinpoint the catalyst for it.

I could go on for days why it wasn't my fault but what good does that do us?
In retrospect I can break down what happened, why it happened, why I wasn't prepared for it
(which does not warrant it from occurring anyway) and why it has consumed every ounce of me
when it hits me, whether seeing something that reminds me, the unprovoked night terrors
the uncontrollable rage and the physical pain to the emotional drought I once had.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yeah... depression and anxiety DEFINITELY can re-color your entire world to look bleak, sad, scary, threatening, disappointing, uninteresting, strange, alienating, you name it. Real chronic depression is NOT a choice, it's literally like being hit by a cold/flu... it's real and you're not pretending, it's almost this external thing from who you are, and like a cold/flu, it makes it hard to remember what it was like to be well.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I will be happy to share what caused my PTSD. When I was fourteen I began to have irregular heart rhythms because a genetic birth defect, called Wolff Parkinson White syndrome began to manifest - which caused me to have literally hundreds of life threatening tachyarrhythmias and to have to undergo cardioversion dozens of times - twice even without sedation or anesthesia of any kind.

Ultimately, at the age of 18, I suffered cardiac arrest from such an event which resulted in having to have open heart surgery which did not resolve my problems.

I continued to deal with this literal death sentence (Being told by doctors that my life expectancy would be 30 years, or less, and that every moment might be my last) from the age of 14 until the age of 27 when a procedure called radiofrequency catheter ablation was developed which cured me.

My first diagnosis of PTSD was given about a year after my cardiac arrest. But the anxiety attacks began about 3 years prior.

~Heff
edit on 11/13/10 by Hefficide because: added link

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Have you heard of the phrase "Fight or flight?"
I'm sure each PTSD diagnosis is unique in nature due to the different circumstances
but being a person that has been diagnosed with C-PTSD (if you know what that is)
I've reverse engineered all of my traumatic based events in life and have come away
with several truths I'd like to share with you if you're willing?

I dunno about Hefficide, but I'd actually like to know how you reverse engineered your traumatic events/disorders... both because I'm skeptical but also sincerely interested in any kind of tried n' true solution to such issues.

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join