It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression is NOT a Real Disorder

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tammy121
depression is feelings that we have when we are sad and down

This is incorrect. Depression is not simply feeling sad and down. It is much more than that.

I don't know your situation, but based on your post, it sounds like you have never had actual depression. I'm glad you did not believe you actually had depression that warranted taking antidepressants, but you must realize that just because your "depression" never went beyond feeling sad and down does not mean that no one's depression does.

I experienced the "sad and down" feeling as a teenager (don't we all?), and I was smart enough then to know that it was a natural emotion and it was only being magnified by the fact that I was going through my teenage years and a lot of things in my body were changing. So having experienced that, I can assure you with absolute certainty that what I feel NOW is much more than feeling sad and down.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Chinesis

You seem to know everything, you should be a doctor.. really.. I am almost sure it is saving people as you type what you do..
I am almost sure it is saving me.. Really.. You know.. considering you know nothing about me, Have no clue what tf i been through, dont know a damn thing of what i can and cant do..

I really enjoy your sermons, if it wasnt for you I would be thinking to myself that gee, maybe i am just f'd up.. there is no such thing as depression, asberger's, or whatever else you wanna call someone having, it is them.. Interesting to say, you have nothing to back this up...

Thanks for showing us we are all idiots.. Please come again with your bs on how to make people better, its working wonders as we speak..

Good work..

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Boy did you take that the wrong way... let me tell and show you how a logical person interpreted his post...
he was using tough love.. Apparently it worked for him.. he probably had people coddle him with sympathy telling him what was wrong with him..

he was probably told verbatim by a Dr. the same things you have been told.. or maybe a just a different flavor. He was able to flip the script on his own mind.. he was able to control his mind instead of his mind controlling him.

I applaud his approach and wouldn't be suprised if it touched several people on this thread...

You, on the other hand, (IMO

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
You seem to know everything, you should be a doctor.. really.. I am almost sure it is saving people as you type what you do..
I am almost sure it is saving me.. Really.. You know.. considering you know nothing about me, Have no clue what tf i been through, dont know a damn thing of what i can and cant do..

If I do know anything...it's due to the fact I've learned these things through being in your situation.
Even if these situations weren't identical in nature, the mental toll these took on my life I'd never
wish on anyone.

I've been subjected to the most inhumane raising/torture a parent could ever put an innocent
child through. It does hurt me though that you don't wish to take my advise seriously.
Before writing you I always thought twice. I would like you to be happier and not so angry.

What I do know is that you are strong, and that when you believe in something you defend it
with a vengeance. You have a big heart (I can see it) but with a big heart comes great disappointment,resentment, anger and an unwillingness to listen.

Originally posted by ThichHeadedI really enjoy your sermons, if it wasnt for you I would be thinking to myself that gee, maybe i am just f'd up.. there is no such thing as depression, asberger's, or whatever else you wanna call someone having, it is them.. Interesting to say, you have nothing to back this up...

Thanks for showing us we are all idiots.. Please come again with your bs on how to make people better, its working wonders as we speak..

Good work..

These aren't sermons.
These are words spoken out of love for you, your situation and allegorically speaking
these words convey compassion from my heart...
Most of all they show how dedicated I am to helping you!

You aren't f'd up.
You've had to go through things people should never have to endure.
However these situations you've gone through have created, molded and shaped
your current demeanor and attitude -can you not see the similarities?

You're not an idiot and my writing isn't BS.
It's sad you're so angry you can't even appreciate priceless advice
when the fact of the matter is all I've ever done was speak from my soul to you.

I deeply apologise if you've taken my words for some sort of joke
made at your expense.

You are still blaming things, people, and past events for your troubles.
I'm not the problem. My words aren't the problem. Even you're not the problem.

Your mind is the problem here man.
It creates thoughts which create feelings which then create YOUR world you see, live and breath in...

Isn't it time for a change?
edit on 11-11-2010 by Chinesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

actully i have had depression i had a member in my family that was killed i lost my job and fell to pieces i didnt get out of bed and didnt talk to any one and blamed my self so i fell in to the pit of depression i lost everything so for you to say that i didnt i did and the doc gave the anti depressants i was having panic attacks annxioty and high blood pressure so i know what it feels like to have depression and i still have it to this day but i wouldnt take a medication to cover an emotion i believe that depression is a real thing i just dont agree with all the poeple that go and get medication because the doctor tells them they need it many people have had depression i have a friend that lost her child she was in deep depression and she took the antipressants it made her worse when she came off them she said she was feeling better this may not be the case for all people i just think that people that take antidepressants why dont you try a month or so with out them and see how you get on many people have tryed it and its worked!!!!!!! if you think about it doctors the more medications they give out the bigger and better cars and houses they get!!!!!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Wow, after reading so many posts from people who apparently suffer from depression, i'm thankful for my brain.
I've been through 10 years of being married to a super-b*tch, infidelity, divorce, not seeing my kids for months at a time, lay-offs, deaths of friends on the seas of Alaska, and all sorts of other dismal crap of every sort in between...

It would have been easy- way easier, to just give in to the feelings of depression that were enveloping me during those times, but instead i CHOSE to see the bright side of things. I chose to find humor, beauty and wisdom in the dismal situations. I love my life and will stay happy.........even when my life sucks.

BTW, imo depression and all the other mental disorders are what Christ called demons. If you ain't got Yeshua on your side i suggest you welcome Him in. He'll make a difference in a positive way for sure.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Romans 10:9

Once again I will mention that it was William James' faith was what drove his depression. If belief in Christ works for you, that's great, but every person is different.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

also just a quick note to say the depression is an emotion and if you feel that you have to go and get medication then so be it but you have to think if antidepressants actully work then why are poeple on it for years and years and years surely antidepressants are ment to be given at a smaller doesage over a pireod of time i dont have faith in doctors they will palm you off with anything!!!!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tammy121

Everyone is different. Simply because something worked for you does not mean it will work for everyone. To belittle or degrade others for trying methods they feel will work for them is not right.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Mental illness can be deliberately created by administering some type of recreational drug to an individual without their knowledge or permission. Some secret organizations do this to discredit individuals who they feel are a threat to them, and to prevent those same individuals from having the material resources to fight against them. Being an average joe is not a defense as you might have witnessed something that a secret organization is dangerous to them. Too dangerous to explain why I believe this. Be afraid, very afraid.
edit on 11-11-2010 by rectangle because: spelling

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rectangle

Yep, that's me alright. I'VE SEEN SOME THINGS, MAN! TERRIBLE THINGS!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Almost all humans experience self-pity - one of the main groups of feelbad feelings. Excessive self-pity has been labelled "depression" by the medical profession and this has been taken advantage of by the pharmaceutical industry.
Interestingly Henry Maudsley, who founded the famous Maudsley psychiatric hospital in London and introduced the concept of depression, regretted studying psychiatry in the latter part of his life.
en.wikipedia.org...
The current simple model of low levels of neurotransmitters which need to be bolstered up does not have much evidence behind it. However drugs such as Prozac do improve severe depression.
Depression is increasingly being regarded as an inflammatory disorder which is associated with increased inflammation markers e.g. TNF. Genetically predisposed individuals with family histories of depression are more vulnerable.
Structural nerve cell or neuron abnormalities are now being discovered in depression. The abnormalities result in reduced connections between neurons especially in the frontal lobes of the brain.
Prozac is now being assessed in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis further confirming it`s anti-inflammatory actions.
www.rheumatology.org...
It seems that tragedy especially in early life can profoundly affect the brain`s immune system and connections between neurons making the individual more susceptible to a "depression"
response to further tragedies in later life.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN

Yep, that's me alright. I'VE SEEN SOME THINGS, MAN! TERRIBLE THINGS!

I've seen some things, man! And some stuff... I wouldn't recommend it!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I do not disagree that depression is a real problem. However, the treatment options such as pharmaceutical grade chemicals are extremely addictive and create a downward spiral and I believe that even the "natural" herbs are highly addictive to those who take them.

Depression is cause by negative stimuli (or complete lack thereof) where chemical levels of the brain begin to drop. Its my theory they drop on purpose.

For instance, if Dopamine is the "rewarding" chemical, our brain gives us when we do something good for us, its only natural for it not to be released when we create or are placed in stressful situations. Its basically the same thing as pain, fire can kill us and when we touch it, it hurts, if it felt good then we would burning ourselves all the time.

Our brains have evolved so that we are rewarded by awesome chemicals when we do things that our good for us, our environment, and other people.

I think our environment has either been created or has become a very negative place and our brains are simply telling us that we need to change it which is why so many people are depressed.

-My 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

actully if you read again what i said in the post above is " this may not be the case for all people i just think that people that take antidepressants why dont you try a month or so with out them and see how you get on many people have tryed it and its worked!!!!!!!" so im not "belittleing" or "degrading" any one as you say im just giving a point of view and saying what helped me

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I too am puzzled at the rather sudden emergence of this condition called “depression”.
Forty years ago it was unheard of.
What has happened since then?
Is it the increased amount of chemicals in our lives?
Has anyone ever had a really complete chemical work up?
Not just the usual, but levels of vitamins and minerals, levels of chemicals of all sorts.
Hair analysis?
Everything science has to offer. The works.

Is there any research as to what you all have in common physically, mentally and emotionally?
How about exposure to electro-pollution?
City versus country life?

Is this just a condition of people in the “Western” world?
Do Africans in the remote jungle have it?
How about Pacific Islanders?
Eskimos?
Is it more or less prevalent in people of certain races or ethnicity?

I can’t go along with those who are blaming our work, eat, sleep, work etc. way of life.
We humans have had to do this since our beginning. We have it easy compared to the lives of our great grandparents. They worked 10 to 12 hours a day,
6 days a week.

If part of the problem is bad genes, then it is a no brainer that these people should never have children. On a page back a ways this was mentioned and one person got very angry at the suggestion. I have to wonder what kind of person would Knowingly inflict such a thing on their children.

Did I read that 10% to 20% of the population are afflicted? That would be 30 to 60 million people! Even if it was 1% to 2% that would be 3 to 6 million people. This is a serious number; a National Crisis, and should be given priority to find the cause. This as well as those millions of autistic children all need to be looked at carefully.

Sorry thing is that it likely Does have to do with the chemicals in our lives and this would cause the big corps to lose a lot of money. So you know that if it is the people’s health versus the corporate dollar that he dollar will win every time.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Did I read that 10% to 20% of the population are afflicted? That would be 30 to 60 million people! Even if it was 1% to 2% that would be 3 to 6 million people. This is a serious number; a National Crisis, and should be given priority to find the cause. This as well as those millions of autistic children all need to be looked at carefully.

Sorry thing is that it likely Does have to do with the chemicals in our lives and this would cause the big corps to lose a lot of money. So you know that if it is the people’s health versus the corporate dollar that he dollar will win every time.

Probably that, plus the more inactive lifestyle most people lead. Keeping physically busy does seem to help a lot, keeping the mind busy like places like this helps a little.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
I

If part of the problem is bad genes, then it is a no brainer that these people should never have children. On a page back a ways this was mentioned and one person got very angry at the suggestion. I have to wonder what kind of person would Knowingly inflict such a thing on their children.

Like the bumper sticker. "Is mental illness genetic? Yeah you can get it from your kids."

Aside from the statement I made when I said that often Diabetics can be found in a family cluster. Often Depression is a masquerade of the Diabetes.

As I took some psych courses at University. Those who work at mental institutions say that it is extremely rare for more than one person of a nuclear, or extended family have such a disabling mental health condition that they are hospitalized. Yes that includes multiple generations as well. It is as if, having one person in the family with mental illness inoculates the rest of the family from mental illness (that is serious enough to be institutionalized.)

Millions suffer enormously from Depression, and other kinds of mental illness and are never hospitalized.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Modern Americana

That's the line! I couldn't remember the exact wording and couldn't remember what it was from. I should have figured it was Family Guy.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Open up your blinds, open the curtains ... the world is going on out there.. Why would you come on a thread like this and post that garbage. There is a special place for garbage like that.

How completely insensitive and tin foil hat-ish.. Go stir up excitement and fear some place else.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join