It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Futuristic Movies/TV shows...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Today I was watching Back to the Future 2, and I noticed something. It's partially set in 2015, a mere 5 years from our current time. Now I know there is NO way to accurately predict the future, and well.... back 20+ years ago, 2015 seemed so far away but....

HOLY COW THEY GOT IT WRONG!!!!

How can you not see what current technology is starting to progress into. I know a lot of the technology we have now, was still in it's infancy back in 89, as I was alive at that time and I do remember it (as well as seeing the movie in the theaters...) what technology was begining to become popular.... VCR's because you could record tv shows and fast forward through the comertials, Portable phones that might be able to take anywhere, Computers were becomming easier to afford ( even if you did have to program them to get them to do the simpliest things... ) and so on. If you had an inkling of sense, you would see that these things would morph into the TIVO's, Cell Phones, and WIFI laptops that we have today. WE didn't have hovercraft interest at the time, so what on earth would make the writers think we would take to the skies by 2015??? Since when did anyone think that the weather service would ever become accurate? And what's up with the comment of "Dust repellant paper"??? Sheesh, I don't see how they could be so wrong...

And do you know what really gets me? I was sitting watching this with my 9 year old son, who heard the date and asked me, "Momma, What's a walkie talkie?" then when I expain it... he asks, "Why don't they just communicate with cell phones?" Ugh, Come on, get something right!!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JessicaS

Yeah but they got some things right too.... in fact I think they were a lot closer than you give them credit for.
You should have been paying attention instead of criticising

www.denofgeek.com...

www.pocket-lint.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JessicaS

If you would like a small glimpse at what is currently or should i say has been in use since the 90's, take a look at R.U.S.E.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
This bit is pretty good, it almost predicts FaceBook. Lists of useless personal information mixed with communication

edit on 9-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
We invariably wouldn't know what's going to happen in the future - even in the near future. (A lot of times psychics who look into the future are only seeing results of current trends.) After e.g. December 21, 2012 the Earth may just be out of its isolation in the universe, and officially part of the interstellar and intergalactic community. That would e.g. rapidly increase progress.

'Back to the Future 2' also shows how humanity can abuse time travel.

A lot of sci-fi movies made a few, or more, decades ago, which are set around this time, show more advanced technology in everyday life than what there is now. Examples of the technology are flying cars and manned trips to other planets. And, examples of movies are Star Trek:The Original Series (depictions of the 1990s); Space:1999; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Just Imagine (1930); Metropolis (1927), etc. The big question is: Why isn't there that everyday technology now? The most likely answer is money (mainly greed, the love of money) greatly slowing that down. (An exception is computer technology. Computers certainly have come a long way since the 1980s.)

The movie 'Just Imagine' was made in 1930, and set in 1980. There's e.g. flying cars in everyday life and manned interplanetary trips. (From what I can remember, from seeing it on DVD about a year ago.) They show a scene from around the early 1900s, and say 'At the current rate of progress...', and then the 1980s. That certainly wasn't at the rate of progress. In the movie, incidentally, a couple wants to have a baby. So they go to a vending machine, put in a coin, and out comes a baby. Also, after that film was made, they put props and such like in a time capsule - to be opened in 1980. I think it was in New York. And then much later got covered in miles of concrete. It still is buried and lost. Perhaps that shows not being ready yet for it.
edit on 7-8-2011 by Aquarius1011 because: Better punctuation, and added info.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

With that video clip about him being fired (didn't use a gun
) - it's far more difficult (at least over here) to fire a person, than what it was in the 1980s when that film was made.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1011

It's pretty damn easy here. (to fire someone).

I love seeing how right, and how wrong, time travel movies get it...

The cool thing about Back to the Future, was that they used brands we know, to make it seem more plausible....a really good trick (Pepsi, Pizza Hut, etc.)

Still waiting for the flying cars and hoverboards though....

new topics

top topics

join