It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If animals spoke English, would you eat them?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

If the first words out of a pigs mouth were "Death to the infidels!" ....BLT sandwiches for everyone.

Lol...

Originally posted by oozyism

This question will dong your head, so think hard..

It is a good question! I think that if one considers the point already mentioned (animals do communicate with each other already) than does communication with people change the game enough? I'm not sure... We all do have to eat, that means everything alive on this planet and there is a "food chain" already in place.

As people, we do have alternatives that the rest of the animal kingdom does not have in place and for that we do have some choice, but in the end it comes down to what you want and how you will get it to survive as well as the fact the food has other connotations attached to it.

The idea of sitting down to a meal together, has ritual and sociological impact and relevance to how we relate to each other. All of that may change, if animals could speak our language, or it may not. Consider that most people have no idea or care to know where their food actually comes from. Those who would be impacted are those who directly engage in a hunt/fish for their food, or those who work in the food industry...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I only eat german speaking animals....

Strange question...i do not understand.....even if animals would speak english I still wouldn't eat a rat...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
No, I certainly wouldn't. I feel I might be dropping meat altogether very soon anyway, as I have no absolute need for it, and I always feel guilty about it.

For one, we don't need it to survive. At least, that's not a valid excuse for anyone here. "Surviving" isn't eating tons of meat you pick up at the supermarket or barbecue on the weekends. It's more or less a luxury to be eating so much dead flesh. It's a lifestyle choice, same as choosing to be vegetarian.

Now, if people were literally starving.. ? Well, people will eat just about anything if they're trying to actually survive, including themselves. So, it's kind of a moot point.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
If served right. There is fair bit of animals who can speak english and any other language taught to them. Just because they speak doesn't mean they have the slightest idea of what they're saying.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Generally, I think it would deter most people from eating them... But I think we should note cannibalistic societies.

Yes, there have been whole societies of people who ate other people, and it seems that the fact that they were intelligent, did not bother them TOO much.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic
reply to post by oozyism

you're basically asking if i'd eat a parrot...if they tasted good then hell yea.

Would you eat a human.

If no, then why?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

if i ate a humans i'd be complicit in their death, which would be murder/cannibalism. an animal is an animal, its not murder to kill an animal. granted it can be cruel and a horrible thing to kill certain animals certain ways. but it's not murder.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I wouldn;t eat them I would tax them

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I wouldn't eat them either. I feel bad for having companies slaughtering animals and wasting so much materials from them. Although I wouldn't feel as bad if they weren't talking to me in the first place, I would want to promote the view of actually using animals and everything they are. Like the native Americans. At least if you're going to slaughter animals for consumption or any other use, respect them and use the whole animal. I would not consider to stop growing animals for food and what not, I do feel they deserve simple respect for what they're going to use for and also care while raising them. It's illogical to think we can completely stop living off of living creatures but I do think we can show some respect and care for these animals, that continue to support our growing population. If anything, if I could, I would at least give a silent thanks and "prayer" to the animals that are used to support us before and during their use. They at least deserve that for being living creatures and having their own lives.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I think if a fish can talk in a language i know ,however i don't dare to eat it ,but what if all the vegetables also can talk?If this happens ,what do we eat?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
We are already able to compartmentalise our feeling enough to all at once see this video as unbelievably heart meltingly cute, but as soon as it's out of our site it's lunch.

I don't see what difference talking is going to make, people gotts to eat

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Like I said, people should respect and honor what these animals die for. Us. We should use them and all the resources they give and respect that. The thing I hate most about the mentality of animals, although I do eat them and what not, is how we think about them. I don't look down on the majority of people who do eat animal products, although I do look down upon the mentality that they are only there for sustinance and for us to use to our will. They're living and breathing just like us, and they deserve to be respected for the life they give.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic
reply to post by oozyism

if i ate a humans i'd be complicit in their death, which would be murder/cannibalism. an animal is an animal, its not murder to kill an animal. granted it can be cruel and a horrible thing to kill certain animals certain ways. but it's not murder.

Aren't we animals also?

Or are we very intelligent?

I for one think animals are way more intelligent than us, hence they don't create nuclear bombs and kill hundreds of thousands of innocent people for absolutely no reason.

Animals only kill to eat, we kill for no reason, who is more intelligent?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
My parrot speaks English.. I would eat him if I absolutely had to.. but really a bird that size doesn't have allot of meat on it. Besides he is a better spirit lifter for his entertainment value, than he would be as a part of a meal.. I tried teaching him to say "I taste like chicken" but he wont pick it up.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by E-ville
My parrot speaks English.. I would eat him if I absolutely had to.. but really a bird that size doesn't have allot of meat on it. Besides he is a better spirit lifter for his entertainment value, than he would be as a part of a meal.. I tried teaching him to say "I taste like chicken" but he wont pick it up.

Any specific reason why you won't eat your dog but eat your parrot?

If this is all based on intelligent then shouldn't children be eaten, because they can't speak English, nor do they have as much intelligence etc.

I'm confused with the logic here, and quiet lost.

Mostly at myself, because I love chicken, I'm not saying I'm gonna become vegetarian, but just brain dead.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
i would probly go get checked out make sure i havent went crazy. i dont think i would be able to stop eating meat im a big fan. if the meat i was about to eat started talking that would be different. id probly even take a hammer to the meat lol. if i was truly worried about the feelings or the life of what i ate i would probly eat rocks. that mentality might offend some people sorry.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

The dog thing is because it's become the taboo. I remember making a remark about all the stray cats around that if the SHTF I wouldn't be hungry or cold. You should have seen the looks I got! Honestly some people have even said they want to continue to feed them post SHTF. I told them "good, it'll make a better meal for me." at which point my sister threw me out.

It all depends on what our perception of the world is. We all have primordial instincts. That's what makes our species possessive and territorial. It's just hardwired into our DNA. On a secondary level, we have the teachings that stick with us as a child when we're impressionable. The line between what's ok to eat and what's not is taught to us during those years. That's why domesticated animals we assume taste bad. You could almost make a case for eating habits being a type of religion. I know us southerners think it's sacrilege to drink tea without sugar.

So tie that in with what we're discussing here, and you have some new angles and further implications. If the whole world spoke one language, I think we'd get along better globally, but I'm off topic enough.

It really comes down to what we're taught as children. We'll almost always stick to what our parents taught us unless there is some underlying issue within the parent/child relationship. The same would apply in a world where animals spoke and rationalized. If the parents fed them to children, then it would be socially acceptable and never thought of twice.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I would totally eat a dog if I visited some parts of Asia. Who knows, they might taste good.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
sorry, i'd eat anything i can hold down.

if it/he/she can talk, well cool.

if veggies could talk, that would be disturbing.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I guess i'm late to the party posting on the third page in, but yes I would still eat meat, hunt, and fish, and grow my garden every year. No I would not eat my young.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join