It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long-term jobless 'could face compulsory manual labour'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

I think people like you belong in jail.

Of course, on the the first offense, you should just be fined.

....should you persist in calling for the implementation of forced labour or advocating a further reduction in the freedoms of others, then you should be jailed.

Frankly, having people like you running amok in our society is dangerous. The beneficent dictator will surely do away with you when he gets elected...

How is it forced? People are free to stop cashing the government checks any time they want.

You want to put people in prison for their opinions? You are the last person who should be complaining about a reduction in freedoms if thats what you truly want.

Get a job.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If no one should be forced to do anything, as the OP said, why should we all be forced to pay taxes that support the people who don't work?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I think people like you belong in jail.

Of course, on the the first offense, you should just be fined.

....should you persist in calling for the implementation of forced labour or advocating a further reduction in the freedoms of others, then you should be jailed.

Frankly, having people like you running amok in our society is dangerous. The beneficent dictator will surely do away with you when he gets elected...

You must have very strange definition of forced labor (slavery) and freedoms.

Slavery is a system in which people are the property of others.[1][2][3] Slaves can be held against their will from the time of their capture, purchase or birth, and deprived of the right to leave, to refuse to work, or to demand compensation.

How is voluntarily agreeing to receive government benefits (now de facto wage) for exchange for your work slavery??
Are you a slave of your emproyer?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

You have to get tested to get any gov. job and depending on what your doing a background check, threat assessment and lie detector test. You have only one job in the US that you don't have to do any of that stuff and its to be a US president. Its really bad when a TSA agent has more stringent checks then the Pres.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Concept X

AWESOME!!

About time too!

I haven't read through yet, just the OP, but if they want people to actually WORK for their benefits, then I say it is the smartest move a government has ever made!!

It isn't "forced" if the voluntarily apply. If they don't want to comply, they don't have to apply for the benefits. Fair enough. Supposedly these folks are just down on their luck and needing an opportunity to get back on their feet. Job training and experience and networking is just what the doctor ordered. They should be thrilled at the chance to earn their way!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

People who advocate forced or compulsory labour should be imprisoned.

if I'm not mistaken
Native American Tribes of the early Americas
use to kick out tribe members for not contributing
to the sustainability of the whole tribe.

Your chance of survival on your own was
next to nil.

Would that not be forced labor
or get kicked out the tribe?

That may be true however they also didn't steal from their own tribe, if anything
they stole from the white man who stole their lands. It was an honour based
society, something that is sadly lacking nowadays.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Reeducation Camps.

Perhaps FEMA could run them.

The unemployment issue is a national drain and DHS/FEMA has nothing better to do...

DOE busy and effective? They could pitch in as well.

They all are taking Gov't handouts to do nothing as well...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

No problem for the service. Glad to do it.

Agreed about the US government contracting out for what they are responsible. I can tell you there is no end in sight overseas and the money being made is enough to take your breath away. That is why these wars are so damn expensive. If you have a standing Army stateside or deployed, they still get paid about the same. No difference. It's all the other non-necessary crap (pay to foreign governments, contracts to multinational companies for things the military already has the capability to do, paying 500% more for what things cost, etc) that puts us in the poor house. The only time the private sector steps in, claims government incompetence, and lobby's for privatization is if there is a profit to be made. Some things are above the profit motive and need to stay in the peoples' hands. Security of a nation, creation/control of money, elections, etc. As a nation what does it say about us if we give that away?

I do support drug testing in the government. If they cannot tow the line with common sense job requirements, fire them. There are lots of people looking for jobs nowadays.

I cannot speak to the prohibition statement. Not my field of expertise. I am not sure of the causality of one to the other. Definitely a link though IMHO.

BTW, Go Badgers!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
if I'm not mistaken
Native American Tribes of the early Americas
use to kick out tribe members for not contributing
to the sustainability of the whole tribe.

Your chance of survival on your own was
next to nil.

The difference with the native Americans is that they didn't have the burden of having to support some fat pig at the top, who constantly forced them to be productive for his own selfish needs.

I doubt they would have trouble surviving on their own. The Aboriginies here used to go "walkabout" as a rite of passage.

Walkabout refers to a rite of passage during which male Australian Aborigines would undergo a journey during adolescence and live in the wilderness for a period as long as six months.

Wiki
edit on 9/11/10 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
[How is voluntarily agreeing to receive government benefits (now de facto wage) for exchange for your work slavery??

Yes, you are.

Over the last few thousand years, the Egyptian slave system has evolved. The Pharaohs don't reside in Egypt anymore, they are now based in Britian. Royal bloodline is royal bloodline for a reason - I suggest you check out where they came from.

Whipping slaves is the old way. They realised that is it far more efficient to trick the slaves into wanting to work. That way the masters can sit down and take it easy.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
i have to laugh at the ppl saying this is a good idea lol. Tell you what ask the guy who spent 4 yrs in uni doing a degree and is now being force to work in mcdonalds because you feel better that he has a job....Tell you what why dont we just stop having ppl to goto uni in the 1st place....oh wait thats exactly what they have done......

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Well I wonder if this will be what kick starts the riots in the U.K just like Europe?
I'd imagine it would fuel even more hatred towards immigrant workers who are already perceived to be taking locals jobs. If they insist on making a job/employment something worth fighting for, then they may well get what they've wished for??
edit on 9-11-2010 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
This is just a piece of waffle to pacify the middle classes, it won't happen.

To put people on welfare to work will cost more money than it does already, people will have to be paid to oversee the work, tools and materials will have to be bought, and of course some pen pushers will have to be hired to do the accounting.

Also many people wrongly assume that long term unemployed people have never worked at all, the facts are that many have actually worked for 10/20/30 years and have paid their dues.

This typical reactionary BS never ceases to amaze me, pretty soon 500,000 middle class government pen pushers are going to find themselves unemployed and no-one is going to employ them for at least two years, can't wait to see how keen they are for compulsory manual labour when that truth finally sinks into their blame shifting brains.

It was not the working class or the unemployed who racked up over a trillion pounds in private debt, it was not the working class or the unemployed who nearly destroyed the global economy, yet somehow it is acceptable to make them the pariahs.

Even when the UK was at the height of the boom there were only 500,000 jobs for 1,500,000 unemployed.
Clearly the fault is with successive governments who fail to create jobs.
If the government is really serious about reducing the level of unemployment, then it had better get it's finger out and create 2,000,000 jobs!!

And last but by no means least is the fact that forced labour is illegal, if these people are to be made to work then by law they must be paid the minimum wage.
So don't be fooled by this politically expedient rhetoric, it is total BS.

Cosmic...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by Maslo
[How is voluntarily agreeing to receive government benefits (now de facto wage) for exchange for your work slavery??

Yes, you are.

Over the last few thousand years, the Egyptian slave system has evolved. The Pharaohs don't reside in Egypt anymore, they are now based in Britian. Royal bloodline is royal bloodline for a reason - I suggest you check out where they came from.

Whipping slaves is the old way. They realised that is it far more efficient to trick the slaves into wanting to work. That way the masters can sit down and take it easy.

Slave who voluntary wants to work and receives agreed compensation is no longer a slave. Read the definition of slavery. By your definition everyone who works is a slave. How would civilization function without such "slavery"?
edit on 9/11/10 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
There is a difference between freeman paid to do a job and a slave.

The slave is forced to work, irregardless of his skill attainment or qualification, in return 'compensated' with food, clothes and lodging and beholden to his masters and no one else. Such compensation varies from masters to masters, some are quite good but mostly deplorable and inhuman.

The freeman doing a job is paid for his skills and qualifications with monetary compensation that take cares of his basic needs. He is beholdened to NO ONE except those that he choosed to - either his loved ones of the society that he belongs as well as work contractual obligations spelt out in clear.

Today, billions of humans are worse off than slaves.

At least slaves get 3 hots and a shelter. Look around you in the midst of our financial crisis, foreclosures and massive unemployment created by our masters, how many can boast of such priviledges? Look at the employed and just alone ask them if their pay is enough to pay their rent, no need to ask if he can feed himself and his family.....

The elites arent gonna care. If the better off, be it the lower or upper middle classes are not going to lend a hand and lift the downtrodden, the answer will be found in this phrase - either we hang together as one or we will surely be hung one by one.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Forced Labor is Slavery. The United Nations article 29 was expanded to include Forced Labor as Slavery.

Your employer pays an "insurance" known as unemployment tax. This payment is to ensure that those people who have been fired or let go of their jobs due to economic struggles of the company or unlawful firing are paid a percentage of their original wages until they are able to find a job or 18 months, whichever is shorter.

This money is already guaranteed by the business paying the tax. If the government wants to impose forced labor then they should eradicate the unemployment tax, pay the beneficiary of the unemployment payment and provide educational resources.

If anyone shows up at my door with an order to force me to do labor, they will be met with harsh judgment by me for they are trespassing and their order violates my constitutional rights.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

Nothing about this idea is forced. They are free to stop receiving taxpayer funded checks at any time they wish.
'
Nothing wrong with requiring community service in order to live on the taxpayer dime.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
One step at a time guys.

Agenda 21 is on track.

Collapse western civilization.

Implement Global Community that uses vastly reduced resources.

Gotta have a workforce to do that, and ya first gotta break the people's spirit.

They aren't smart enough to do what's best for the world, obviously.

Yep, we're on track.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

You know in times past when we were tribe, everybody was looked after, now that we are many and diffuse that bond has been dissolved by monetarism.

Money, that piece of paper that actually has no worth whatsoever, has divided us and turned man against man, dog eat dog.

Truly the love of money is the root of all evil, it is turning us into creatures that would rather clutch our bundles of worthless money to the point of forsaking our own kind.

If money is to work it must flow freely and not be coveted by anyone.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Guys, I think you need to broaden your view of slavery beyond the classical definition of the slave and the slave master.

Consider a system that is designed to eliminate and/or outlaw any form of self sufficiency. A system that, even if you chose to live off the land, would require you to give up a significant portion of your harvest and therefore a significant portion of your labor. A system that leaves the individual in a position of corporate/Government reliance.

In other words, what if a system was created that compelled you to labor far beyond what was necessary to survive. Is this not slavery?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join