It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long-term jobless 'could face compulsory manual labour'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Concept X

Huh?

This doesn`t make sense.

There`s no need to make it compulsory.

Obviously if someone is `jobless`, they will WELCOME the job.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
how will i have the time to find a job if I have to work all week??? what about interviews,,

plus didn't they sack the council workers who's jobs this was in the first place

give me an extra 70 pound a week and people might not get so pisd,

what a joke!!!

who will want to give me a job if they see me in orange gear cleaning sht???

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I know someone who has been on unemployment for so long that he is up for long service leave,so i doubt he will be taking part in any manual labour.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
And we all know that welfare does not buy you gas for your car..

so how are all these jobless people supposed to get to said jobs?

Most people who are on welfare still have a really hard time making ends meet..

I was on it once with my wife and young child(20 years ago)

and i was always afraid that i would be stuck in it for a long time..

it is really hard to get out/off welfare..

especially in today's economy..

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
my friend said to me today that the jsa have rung up her work saying "need free staff", they can even pick up leaves" now she thinks her job is in jeopardy with these free workers, where will it all end.

will they even pay your bus fare or expect your jsa to pay for it??

people are going to go nuts for this....

I want a job and its hard to get one now its even harder and now I have to work 30hrs for my benefits, my benefits don;t even add up to 90 pound a week, for this i would expect more!!!

also I wanted to do a college course for hair dressing now thats fct

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

The UK should leave the unemployed alone and make the compulsory crap jobs for the welfare recipients who never worked a day in their lives, I also feel the US would benefit from doing this!!! Why should the unemployed be harrassed? THEY know what work and toil is about and they paid into those benefits or their employers did anyway, so WTH????

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

couldn't agree more, and now my career focus is all messed up,,

I want to go college not doing a council's job.

oh well might as well start popping out 20 kids and a mansion,,

I didn't even vote for cameron so why am I being punished!!,

I started part time work at age 11, and was in full time work at 17, now i am jobless penniless and very frustrated.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by prettygreeneyes26

couldn't agree more, and now my career focus is all messed up,,

I want to go college not doing a council's job.

oh well might as well start popping out 20 kids and a mansion,,

I didn't even vote for cameron so why am I being punished!!,

I started part time work at age 11, and was in full time work at 17, now i am jobless penniless and very frustrated.

I feel for you I am in the same predicament, However I just filled out for a job at take our jobs back for farm work, well it said Florida is pushing this campaign so we'll see how serious they are... I am ready to get down and dirty in the cow puck to make any kind of wage now!!!! LOL!!! I hope they don't want to use welfare recipients first...or people on unemployment benifits, as I have neither...since I live in a right to work state and I quit my job (WAL MART, Nuff said) I couldn't receive any unemployment and my hubby makes too much for us to get any help, well, that's not the point, I wouldn't take it anyway. But hopefully the farm workers are serious about this campaign cause I am dead serious about working in whatever I can get right now!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Concept X

UK Government to bring in forced manual labour

"Long-term benefit claimants could be forced to do compulsory manual labour under proposals being put forward by the government, it has emerged. Under the plan, claimants thought to need 'experience of the habits and routines of working life' could be put on the month long, 30-hour a week placements."

"Mr Duncan Smith said his plans were designed to reduce welfare dependency and make work pay. He said: "One thing we can do is pull people in to do one or two weeks' manual work - turn up at 9am and leave at 5pm, to give people a sense of work, but also when we think they're doing other work.

"The message will go across; play ball or it's going to be difficult."

Full story:
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 7/11/10 by Concept X because: (no reason given)

What are your thoughts?
edit on 7/11/10 by Concept X because: (no reason given)

Methinks that they have forgotten the lessons of WWII. The nazis did exactly that and still suffered
crushing defeat militarily, financially and physically. They are grasping at straws now.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I would love to farm work just as long as I get some sort of qualification on the way, except over here the manual labour rules are, are that you can't work with poo because of law suits, that;s what they said to my friends employer "they can only do thinks like litter picking filing etc no hands on in farms ie scooping poo,
strange that!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by prettygreeneyes26

That is odd, well I am getting my qualifications online for computer IT, so this would just be for money. I think though this would give me some kind of work qualification, I mean if I ever wanted to start a farm, this would give me some experience, true?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Forced labor? Like a Poor Farm or like a Gulag? One is humiliating whie the other is a death sentance.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
It also seems fair; if you are going to accept a government handout, you should have to do something to earn it.

Don't you think that the Government should provide money so that people can have their basic human rights like food, water and shelter? Why should we have to work for these?

If you want luxuries like a big plasma TV, by all means you should work for it.

If you have to work for what is accepted as human rights, then you are a slave.

If a farmer did this to his animals, he would be in big trouble. Don't see why it should be any different for TPTB.

I agree to a point. Remember, the proposed idea affects the long-term unemployed. I don't think there was a time frame given, but I think it would be reasonable to get 'free' welfare for a time, as there are many legitimate reasons to be unemployed and on welfare. I think this is meant to try and encourage the long-term welfare leechers to go do something.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

IMO, government contracts to perform government work, is still a government entity.

The government should not contract anything out, that they are specifically held accountable for. I am talking about in the US by the way. Our government is given certain enumerated powers. Anything above and beyond that is wrong, IMO.

Yes, I would say nowadays soldiers are part of the welfare system known as the government. According to the Constitution, a standing army, especially one in foreign countries, is a no no.

Oh and if I had my way, and the Constitution had it's way, drug testing would only be done by private businesses. Tell me, did not the prohibition amendment and the subsequent removal amendment, set precedent about drugs? If it took a Constitutional Amendment to make a substance illegal, why does it not take another Amendment to do the same?

Oh by the way, thank you very much for your service. I am not someone that is against the military whatsoever. I am against the way it is used though. The US was never meant to be the police for the world, it is a bastardization of the Constitution and absolutely a wrong use of military forces. The military was created to fight wars, police are meant to police, huge difference.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
We need this in the U.S.!

Anyone on welfare or other forms of public assistance needs to be put to work. If they have an aversion to manual labor, they are free to stop getting checks any time they want. Naturally the physically disabled couldnt do much, but I'm sure there is a wide enough variety of work to keep 99% of welfare recipients busy.

My only change to the plan would be that it needs to last alot longer than a month. Keep them working for their welfare checks until they decide they have had enough of living on the public dime and they can find employment on their own.
edit on 8-11-2010 by BigTimeCheater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Turn up at 9am and leave at 5pm, to give people a sense of work,

Back before i became disabled that would have been a vacation for me.
The industrial construction jobs i worked on were 10 to 12 hour days with 6 to 7 day work weeks.
Then the mine jobs were 50 to 60 hour work weeks and the last i was the superintendent at the mine.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

I think people like you belong in jail.

Of course, on the the first offense, you should just be fined.

....should you persist in calling for the implementation of forced labour or advocating a further reduction in the freedoms of others, then you should be jailed.

Frankly, having people like you running amok in our society is dangerous. The beneficent dictator will surely do away with you when he gets elected...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
People who advocate forced or compulsory labour should be imprisoned.

People who take money from other people and give it to able-bodied people who don't earn it should be imprisoned.

It's not forced. It's compulsory only if you want money from the gooberment. You want money? Work for it. No work? You go hungry. Steal food from me? You die.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by wookiee

People who take money from other people and give it to able-bodied people who don't earn it should be imprisoned.

I agree.

Starting with the government.

*That is not to say they all belong in jail. Just a very large number of them, which is only small percentage of the british police state bureaucracy.
edit on 8-11-2010 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
For all those of you that call Australia the 'lucky country', consider this:

It's called "Work for the Dole"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join