It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antibiotic resistant bacteria build up in my lungs? What next?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Ok well I originally got bronchitis, spitting up yellow crap and tar. One doctor told me it was viral (I should of listened to him), and another doctor told me it was not. I have been taking Biaxin and I am now starting to think that I had viral bronchitis instead of bacterial. Now what are the consequences since I used anti biotics for a viral infection instead of a bacterial infection? Could it get extremely worse? Could it turn into pneumonia? Also can a doctor know if it is viral or bacterial with a stethoscope?

I will go to my doctor on Monday, but for the meantime, I am wondering if anyone who has any kind of medical expertise on here if they can respond on this thread or PM me. Any suggestions?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

I'm going to edit this post because I really have no idea of knowing what you have etc.

Theres a page here that seems to have a good deal of information. Hope it helps
edit on 6-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Davespanners is absolutely correct. Taking those antibiotics won't have done anything to the virus at all. Also, if it is viral (which it doesn't sound like it is, if you're coughing up yellow sputum; that usually makes me lean heavily toward bacterial), there is no real treatment beyond symptoms. Viral bronchitis just has to pass on its own, unless you have a case so severe it requires hospitalization.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I know what you mean. I am not talking about this time, but let’s say I get bronchitis again, wouldn’t the bacteria in my lungs grow resistant to it? And we are on ATS, panicking and paranoia is in all of our blood

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I've edited my post above as I felt like I was giving medical advice when I have no place to do that.

From what I read if it's a Virus theres not much you can do but ride it out.
But as I say I have no business giving advice, so just wait and see what the doctor says.

Are there any Doctors at all on ATS that we know about?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Thank you, very much for clarifying. It is just a piss off when one doctor says one thing, and the other one says another thing. If you know what I mean; Do not know who to believe.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Also, it is a persist dry cough right now. I only spit up yellow phlegm when I wake up in the morning. It was the dry cough that made me think it was viral as well. I am probably over thinking it. Haven’t had to much sleep, and very sick

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
If I were you I would look for what maybe causing this.

Check for mold in your residence,particularly in the bath area or around leaking windows,doors.

Also certain insect infestations such as cockroaches could cause the situation you describe.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Well, without having actually examined you, I can't say what you're dealing with. Your best bet would be to check back in with your doctor if it doesn't clear up.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull

Thank you, very much for clarifying. It is just a piss off when one doctor says one thing, and the other one says another thing. If you know what I mean; Do not know who to believe.

I don't blame you for not knowing who to believe. We've grown up in a world where doctors are put on a pedestal, but they are only human after all. But beware! Many doctors (I won't say most because I don't know it to be true) are paid by Big Pharma to prescribe certain medications.

I have no faith in the medical profession as I believe it is rife with corruption. Personally, I haven't been to a doctor in 4 years and that was only because I woke up looking like the Elephant Man, (turns out I was alergic to my girlfriend's new make up) and before that I think it was probably 10-15 years earlier.

I don't remember the last time I was sick, but I have a rather unique method for warding off ailments. Let me describe it. This year, when everyone around me was dropping like flies with the flu, I woke one morning with a slightly sore throat. I then very loudly told it to get the f@!# out of my system, I was not going to accept. It was not welcome! Next day? Right as rain and this has worked every time I have tried. I do believe that our physical state is directly related to our mental state. Try it next time you start to feel a bit off, but really, really believe that it is going to go away.

Get healthy and stay that way.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I am certainly no medical expert but my advice would be to look up natural remedies on the internet. Also I'm sure worrying will only delay your healing process so keep a positive outlook and tell yourself you will be better in time.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Well I know it is bronchitis I just do not know if it is Viral or bacterial. Do you know if a doctor can tell if it is bacterial with a stethoscope? She basically just heard my lungs and prescribed me biaxin. Is it also possible to cough out yellow phlegm with viral bronchitis? Or is that just with bacterial?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I would go for natural remedies. Bacterias and viruses won't build a resistance to them. I had a severe lung infection several months ago and treated it with some essential oils. After three rounds of antibiotics and still not feeling better it took only a cple of days to feel releif and about a week to totally kick it. I used a blend called Thieves, along with eucalyptus and lemon.

Not saying that will cure it but I am a firm believer in trying the natural stuff anymore...you can google. There are numerous things that are antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral.

But since I am not a doctor I am not treating or diagnosing you...always check with a regular dr.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Well I know it is bronchitis I just do not know if it is Viral or bacterial. Do you know if a doctor can tell if it is bacterial with a stethoscope?

Not likely. There are very few instances where simply auscultating can help you tell the difference. In severe bronchitis, the distribution pattern of inflammation can help, but again, that's only when the infection is severe. Usually, you don't even bother making a positive diagnosis. You empirically treat for bacterial if there is any sign of such an infection (like yellow sputum).

She basically just heard my lungs and prescribed me biaxin. Is it also possible to cough out yellow phlegm with viral bronchitis? Or is that just with bacterial?

Typically, yellow/green sputum indicates bacteria. It's due to mucus being mixed with purulent discharge (pus) as a result of fighting bacteria. This doesn't typically occur with viral infections.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Even though you were initialy treated for a "viral" infection, the antibiotics should have an equal effect on a bacterial infection as well.

I know your a little paranoid, but with unjust cause, .... you've only taken one antibiotic, if you were to stop taking them before the bacteria cleared up, then it would be resistant to ONLY that particular antibiotic.

I suggest you give your body the tools to help heal itself, eat LOTS of veggies and fruits, .. lots of garlic and onion, as the sulpher compounds are good for infections, apple pectin is very good for your lungs, black walnut extract is good for parasite and viral infections as well, ... just talk to your local vitamin/herb store to find out whats best for you, .... a little online research will do you good as well.

.... and never underestimate the healing properties of the mind, too much worrying about a phantom antibiotic resistant bacteria may create just that. Give it time to clear up, and have faith that your doctors know what their doing.

Constant worrying and paranoia give strength to your disease.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Bronchitis can be viral, bacterial, as you might know but it can also be fungal. What ever the source it can be treated in the same manner. The best treatment method is by nebulizer inhalation of silver hydrosol. The nano silver types are best. I use Argettyn 23 for my patients. 3ml of solution in the nebulizer 2-3 times per day. Do this for 2 weeks and it will be clear no matter the cause.

If you also take NAC 500mg per day this will break up the flem. It works better than prescription Mucenex. NAC is N-Acetylcysteine

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   

What a coincidence. I had a lymph gland swell up and was so hard and sore in my neck, and then amoxillin, took this down, so the infection (and I had yellow, and yellow means an infection not a viral), went into my lungs, so now have a bronchitis and am on Biaxin as well, second day of it. Really upset my stomach too, but do feel a little looser. But this caught my eye immediately and wonder just what is going around?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I'm not a doctor but I do happen to read a lot of medical journals and books on allopathic,traditional,chinese medicine,ayurveda,and orthomolecular medicine.
For something that is viral the first thing I would talk to my doctor about is vitamin C. Taken to bowel tolerance it has antiviral antifungal antibiotic and antipyretic effects. Look up Dr.Linus Pauling and Andrew Saul for more on orthomolecular doses of vitamin c.
Reishi,#ake,and maitake mushrooms are effective for helping boost the immune system and fight illness.
Crushed garlic sitting for 15 minutes reached maximun allicin levels and has antibiotic,antiviral effects.
Garlic and turmeric would help with inflammation.
oil of oregano pills have antiviral properties
Tea tree oil in a steam inhalation like a hot water filled sink with 1 or 2 drops of oil and a towel over your head.
Manuka honey has amazing healing properties as well. Can be used internal or external.
Most important is once again check any supplement,remedy,diet,or fitness regimen with your doc in case there are any containdications.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. As others have stated, there are some signs/symptoms that could lead the doc to suspect bacterial. Usually it is viral, but if there is a chance of baterical, they will play it safe and prescribe an antibiotic.

So long as you finish out the complete prescription, and don't take several different antibiotica all the time, you really don't need to worry about it. Taking antibiotics for a viral infection will not make it any worse...or any better (unless you develop a secondary bacterial infection, like in your sinuses then it helps THAT)

I would recomend you follow what you doctor has told you to do. Make a follow-up apt if you are NOT getting any better...but remember, bronchitis can take quite a while to work itself out.

I would suggest (like several other people) that you help out your immune system every way you can. Drink lots of fluids, get lots of rest take a bunch of vitamin C and most important, MEGA doses of Vitamin D. I will not give you any adice on dosage...but you can do a quick search and get all kinds of suggestions from the med sites!!

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I haven't heard of anything other then Tuberculoses that has developed a resistance to antibiotics.

No worries there.

Hope you get well soon.

Sincerely

~ Sinter

ps

I'd like to second Oneolddude.
Mold can wreck havoc and cause a lot of nasty symptoms and stuff. Get rid of it at first glance.

After you're feeling better of course.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join