It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"NASA Spacecraft Detects Volcanic Activity In Antarctica"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I found this and thought it would be interesting to investigate as more information becomes available.

"Antarctica, the coldest place on Earth, is also home to volcanic fire. Looming above the frigid sea is Mount Erebus, a volcano that has erupted frequently over the last 200 years."

"Presently we are extending the Autonomous Sciencecraft Experiment by setting up the software to autonomously monitor over 50 known volcano sites for activity."

www.spacedaily.com...

Mount Erebus is certainly worth keeping an eye on. I would imagine a active volcano could increase the melting of the polar Ice caps?

Also this spacecraft's instrument "The Space Technology 6 Autonomous Sciencecraft Experiment" might observe Yellowstone at some point, and provide some new information about that?

nmp.jpl.nasa.gov...

www.ees.nmt.edu...

[

[edit on 29-6-2004 by Xeven]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Antarctica has always fascinated me. A volcano in antarctica kinda seems like an oxymoron, but i wonder what kind info and material it will turn up. I think it would be a great spot for an outpost.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod8900
Antarctica has always fascinated me. A volcano in antarctica kinda seems like an oxymoron, but i wonder what kind info and material it will turn up. I think it would be a great spot for an outpost.

Why an Oxymoron??

jrod...you didnt by any chance used to frequent the TTV Message Boards did you??

[Edited on 29-6-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
You never know what all that Ice melting might turn up Maybe another Wolly Mammoth.....Naa One couldnt be that far north could it?

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Yes, there are a number of volcanos in Antarctica and Erebus is the most famous. The Antarctic plate is spreading very slowly, so there's not a whole bunch of activity there.
volcano.und.nodak.edu...

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth_Hunter_1976
You never know what all that Ice melting might turn up Maybe another Wolly Mammoth.....Naa One couldnt be that far north could it?

Antarctica is the South Pole....

And no, Mammoths never ranged down there. They were a North American species. They've found some good dinosaur fossils, however.

new topics

top topics

join