It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"How Could You Be Anything But Agnostic?"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyBluePegasus

Originally posted by whynow
I think "God" was a way for early man to explain things they didn't know and it morphed into multiple Gods/Goddesses that are characteristic of what one is lacking in their life that they need. I'm atheist and atheist I shall stay. I believe humans are wired to believe for the most part but that science will one day explain it due to electricity and energy that body naturally produces. We are all connected but it has nothing to do with a man on a cloud but chemistry, biology, etc.

You don't know where chemistry and biology will lead us though.

The trouble is with most people is that they feel the need to look at others for inspiration. Scientists and celebrities are the modern gods, at least that's how it looks from where I am. People want scientists to give them answers, people want to be like celebrities.

Look inside yourself if you want answers.

I have done soul searching for 11 yrs. so I have no need to continue to look inside thank you. My conclusion is that it's psychological ploys that are self-inflicted making people believe in God. (i.e. Praying or casting a spell for your job doesn't actually help you other than cause your mind to be more focused and confident on said job. God isn't giving you inspiration or guidance, you are.)
When someone is mad at another, they tend to go for the "Burn in Hell" "God will get you in the end" but if they're the ones in the wrong that's when they look for the mercy in their God.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

Whole heartedly agreed. Good luck getting anyone at the extremes of those two camps to admit it though. Even when you speak their langauge they can't understand the concept. Not that they're stupid mind you, just not listening.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I am agnostic and after thinking a bit while reading this thread i have come to this strange thought not that i think it will bother me or change my thought on this subject much...but kind of boggles my brain to think ....

For for me to so firmly think that ignorance is truth ... isnt knowing and believing that this is so denying my claim of ignorance in the first place??? to so firmly know that i am ignorant to understand gods or the exhistance of gods i have come to the thought of me so firmly thinking i dont know might be a bit of a self creating contradiction. like an anarchist joing a anarchy group that assembles and has order.

I guess to be a real agnostic in my mind you have to accept nothing as fact not even your own thoughs of what you dont know

pardon me now while i got reformat my brain.. so i forget i ever thought this.

edit on 7-11-2010 by j4k312 because: ty poe

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by j4k312

I guess to be a real agnostic in my mind you have to accept nothing as fact not even your own thoughs of what you dont know

Or "know" the fact is simply a semantic trick so that a species that clings to concepts for fear of not "knowing". Case in point, take every belief that has ever existed regardless of your opinions on said beliefs. Someone once swore they "knew" that to be true. If you apply the rules of scientific investigation particularly falsifibility it falsifies the concept of "knowing" anything. Particularly as Einstein is said to have stated it:

No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong. (paraphrased)

edit on 7-11-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Tamahu

In regard to my above post, I did NOT mean to imply that Eikasia, Pistis, Dianoia, and Nous, are actually synonymous with atheism, theism, agnosticism, and Gnosticism.

What I did mean to say, is that it seems that there are correlations on certain levels.

edit on 7-11-2010 by Tamahu because: edited text

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by j4k312
I guess to be a real agnostic in my mind you have to accept nothing as fact not even your own thoughs of what you dont know.

The Gnostics teach that by not accepting or rejecting anything as fact(especially our own thoughts), we can come to know. They call this: Meditation.

That by admitting that we, as egos, don't know(Agnosis); we, as Consciousness, come to know(Gnosis). However, this isn't a mere reasoning process of thesis versus antithesis. It is beyond thought, and requires concentration, Imagination, Inspiration, and Intuition, in order to see the thesis, antithesis, and Synthesis.

In other words, meditation is taught as the discipline which allows one to come out of the i-gno-rant mind states of atheism, theism, and agnosticism. Meditation is taught as a Scientific Method(I noticed that the Scientific Method was mentioned a couple posts ago by Watcher-In-The-Shadows).

So we could say that to be established in meditation, is to go beyond Eikasia and Pistis; in order to know Dianoia, Nous, Sophia.

Like I implied earlier, Dianoia could be a state of consciousness that contains levels of Gnosis and Agnosis. Although Nous, the highest level of Awakened Consciousness, is Pure Gnosis, Turiya and Wisdom: Sophia.

It looks like Boethius had some idea of Eikasia, Pistis, Dianoia, and Nous("supreme truth"):

reply to post by filosophia

Originally posted by filosophia
Whatever by nature has the use of reason has the power of judgment over certain matters. I have desires and choices and act upon those choices, I know what I want and I know what I do not want, that is the proof that I am not agnostic, since agnostic means "I don't know", if I knew nothing I would not be able to write a single sentence to you nor would you be able to understand it. If agnosticism means "I don't know the supreme truth" then I'll admit I do have some agnosticism since I do not know everything, but neither do I know nothing.

-Consolation of Philosophy

edit on 7-11-2010 by Tamahu because: edited text

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

SF yeah I have seen this video many times because when my family makes me feel like a moron for not being Christian, I just open up my favorites menu and watch it. It is a good video.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I believe that I have been agnostic all my life, but dabbled into possibly seeing if there was a possible truth somewhere with a definite answer. There was not. When I realized that Agnosticism was for me, and there was no other way I came to 2 conclusions. 1, I couldn't see what the big deal was with other religions vs agnostics because they didn't follow all the rules. 2, I truly think that to be a true agnostic, is to realize that you yourself will take full responsibility of your actions, thoughts, and your knowledge, and without a doubt be able to say that you have looked, and found nothing that made you feel as if there was any other reason but to be agnostic.

So if down the road whatever possibly creator was to unveil itself, I could truly say, "are you kidding me? do you see what my options were"?

Peace, NRE.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join