It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Welcome Back" pop-ups - Can I turn this off?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Reply to post by Kryties

I remember those "design" classes. I was in college about 10 years ago and the rules were the same as they are today. Less is more, don't assault your visitors with auto playing media, pop-ups are like AIDS for websites.

Clean and easily navigable are pretty much internet gold. So simple and for whatever reason rare as hell to find.

Pretty soon ATS will resemble: havenworks.com

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Just had a thought...

Make the popup into a dropdown box on mousehover over a symbol or image. ie: Like the dropdown box that appears when hovering over the question mark (?) at the top of the MyATS page.

I'll shoosh now.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by Kryties

Pretty soon ATS will resemble: havenworks.com

You think thats bad lol, one of our Uni tutors linked us a website on the forums (I do Open Uni at home) that is quite possibly the worst website ever made - whats worse is it's not a joke website (that I can tell)

Enjoy: yvettesbridalformal.com...

***WARNING*** - turn your speakers down and wear UV protected sunglasses while viewing this page

I especially like the random image of a plane inserted at the top for no particular reason other than to fill space.......
edit on 9/11/2010 by Kryties because: To add an edit

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Reply to post by Kryties

Laugh now but someday when we all have triple the bandwidth and gigantic 60" monitors and automatically contrasting retinal implants people will look back on Yvette's Wedding Dresses as a pioneer.

lol

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I can imagine entering an Internet Hall of Fame and seeing Yvettes website proudly displayed as a centerpeice in the middle of the floor!

2.3 millions views to date too I just noticed. I really hope most of those views were from people like us looking at it thinking 'Dear God PLEASE make the bad woman stop.......'

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Yes, do give us a way to shut it off.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I,d like to vote to turn it off too, its quite annoying. An option to have it would keep all happy!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Based on the private messages I received regarding the new features as each was rolled out, this was the most well-received as I have (in my saved box) nearly 30 messages praising the new feature, and none complaining about it.

Looks like we have "about 30" here who dont like it.

I wonder, does justification run both ways?

edit on 9-11-2010 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I took Skeptic Overlord's advice and sent him a U2U...since it was (apparently) the high number of praises via U2U that convinced him members like it, I thought I would (politely) ask him to allow me to disable it. I would suggest that each of you here send him a similar (polite) message letting him know that you don't like the popups. If the total exceeds 30 then he may take our requests seriously.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
After thinking about this issue a bit, I think another option than merely on or off could be to use a mouseover (similar to the help icon on the "myATS" screen). Perhaps an icon somewhere that says "What's new?" and if you hover your cursor over it, the popup window appears.

Any thoughts on this idea?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I would like to offer my support for a way to disable it. If and when that can occur, I think I can manage to deal with it though...may even read it at some point...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I would also prefer an option to disable the pop up. I don't find it useful at all.

I also think it is really annoying that it appears twice, for some reason...?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I happen to like it!....always interested in how many new topics there are.
Id say too many people are grumpy over the smallest things these days....
Smile..and click close! Have a groovy day.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kerrylee
Smile..and click close!

Perhaps if I just had to click "close" one time instead of two, I would have smiled more.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Based on the private messages I received regarding the new features as each was rolled out, this was the most well-received as I have (in my saved box) nearly 30 messages praising the new feature, and none complaining about it.

No other well-liked new feature received even half of those unsolicited "thank you" messages, and no other new feature received ZERO complaints via private messages to at roll-out.

Given that initial response, we can gauge that far more members appreciate it than not. It's a simple matter to click the [close] link and not see it again until you've not been on ATS for more than six hours.

Translation: "I like it and I don't feel like re-coding it. Deal with it."

I don't mean to make SO sound like a tyrant, but it does seem like he just doesn't want to do it. Fair enough - the site belongs to him. I'm sure he's been coding a lot lately, too. But it is quite apparent that many people (including myself) are not happy with the new pop-up alert.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well this thread has been flagged 31 times as of this post, that tells me the "don't likes" outnumber the "likes" votes by 1

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have been lurking and posting on this site for so long I have become immune to unfortunate design choices, but yeah, this one is bad.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
yep

I really dislike it too.

would like to turn it off.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Add me to the dont like it club.

I never thought of pming the owner if I dont like a feature. I thought threads like this and the issue threads were the proper place.

Anyway now 33 people have flagged this as not liking it.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by avocadoshag
After thinking about this issue a bit, I think another option than merely on or off could be to use a mouseover (similar to the help icon on the "myATS" screen). Perhaps an icon somewhere that says "What's new?" and if you hover your cursor over it, the popup window appears.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Yarp, my idea 9 posts above yours

Originally posted by Kryties
Just had a thought...

Make the popup into a dropdown box on mousehover over a symbol or image. ie: Like the dropdown box that appears when hovering over the question mark (?) at the top of the MyATS page.

I'll shoosh now.

edit on 10/11/2010 by Kryties because: Copied wrong post

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join