It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Welcome Back" pop-ups - Can I turn this off?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I'd really appreciate an option to turn this off aswell. I know it's only a click to do so, but it's a needless click (now 2, why does it come back) In those few seconds I could have been saving the world and everything. Pretty please with cherries on, can we have the option to turn this off? *flutters eyelashes*

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I agree it is very annoying, so is the ALERT Private Messages popup.

why not resize my browser everytime I log on too..

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thank you for engaging in this conversation. I think it's great that we - random members - can engage you - the site ownership - on issues. It's rare in such a large community that the leadership is accessible in the way that you are. This is impressive and goes a long way to show that the leadership at ATS has the right ideas about their relationship to the community.

As far as the positive feedback you've received about the "Welcome Back" message, it's unclear to me why that's a consideration when it comes to question of whether or not to provide an option to disable it. No one has anything to lose, and the members who would rather not receive the message wouldn't be forced to. Perhaps this feature is one that is either really liked or really disliked. . . enough to elicit a substantial response from both sides. It seems that this clearly the case, based on the positive feedback you received and the negative feedback we see here.

The way to make everyone happy is to give us the option to turn the feature on or off.

There is no down side to this, and it would be an enhancement to ATS that would increase overall satisfaction. No one will be less satisfied, and the users who don't like the feature will be more satisfied. I suspect your consideration is whether or not this would be a slippery slope towards increasing demand for making other new features optional. I understand that, and have nothing to say about it.

I've made my opinion clear and at least raised the issue, which is what I wanted to do. Please keep an eye on the thread and see what others have to say. I have nothing more to add, but I will certainly continue to monitor the responses here.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I'm also dangling my foot in the "It anoys me" camp and would also be greatful for an "OFF" button.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
The popup shows an extremely poor judgement by tptb on ats.. Lack of people skills if you will..
But then again, how many intellect professionals would work on a site like this.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
The popup shows an extremely poor judgement by tptb on ats.. Lack of people skills if you will..
But then again, how many intellect professionals would work on a site like this.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Here is my vote to remove the welcome back.
Useless bling to me.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Yeah, it's ridiculously annoying.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
despite SO's assumption that this is well liked feature by most... I find it annoying in the extreme.

please give us an option to disable it.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I get it when I sign in and AGAIN when I click on a thread. Once is more than enough - but twice? Yes indeed little things like this can very annoying. The option to turn it off would be appreciated.
edit on 8-11-2010 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I have to say along with other members on this thread, that an option to turn it off would be nice.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I too would like to find a way of turning it off because its annoying and it pops up twice as mentioned by some others in this thread

tried blocking it but that dont work somehow

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

So all that needs to happen is more than 30 people need to send you private messages saying they dislike the feature to have their voices counted?

Not trying to be facetious, generally curious.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Very annoying.
2nd

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Add my name to the "please provide us an option" list as well. Maybe enable it to be cookie-aware so that it only pops every 10th visit or X amount of days.

Thanks for the consideration

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Its annoying as hell........and completely pointless.

Bad design

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Crazy considering how many members are here that "nearly 30 messages" carries as much weight as it apparently does.

Count me down as being wholly annoyed by the "welcome back" pop up.

Forcing mobile browsing in Firefox has become my preferred way to visit this site. All of the annoyances, loud graphics, slow and stuttering scrolling and loading and these jerk-ass pop ups are absent through this door.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I agree with most here an option to turn it off would be nice. It does get annoying.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
It wouldn't bother me as much if it didn't happen as soon as I log on and then again when I open a new thread. Count me in on the 'I want to be able to turn it off" list.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I'm studying web design and coding at Uni at the moment, admittedly we haven't delved too deep into anything other than XHTML and CSS atm, but one of the big "no-no's" that is being drilled into our heads is not to use pop-ups, that they distract the user (user tends to close window before it is fully rendered) and lowers page views as people do not return.

Yes, it is a simple process of clicking 'Close', but that extra small step could be enough to drop page views down by a significant percentage.

Anyhoo, just my 2 cents. Apart from that I love the design, having used some of my newly acquired Uni skills to look at the site from a designer and usability point of view.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join