It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody see Venus last night?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Wow what an amazing show it put on. I watched it for a couple of hours last night and it was spectacular from my vantage point. It looked like a yellow,red,white and green light show. I hope I get to see it again tonight if it clears up. I tried to take a video but you literally could not see it using the camera.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

Are you sure you're looking at Venus?
Venus is rising just before the sun and I wasn't aware that it is visible yet thinking that it is still too close to sunrise. Real soon we will be able to view it as the morning star for the next few weeks.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yeah it was awesome. And I too tried to take video of it but to no avail. I can't wait for tonight --nice and clear here. But, I see they're already doing some chemtrails so maybe it won't be clear.

Just out of curiosity, what was that that was in the South? It was brighter and didn't change colors. Probably a satellite?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Now you have me wondering. I am completely confused. We have spotty clouds now. I will have to look again tonight. It was about 15 degrees or so off the horizon. It was around 8:45pm when I saw it. About 10:30pm or so it was 20-25 degrees. It was in the Northwestern sky.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I doubt it was Venus. Planets never flicker or change colour. That's how I spot them from all the stars.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Whatever it is, it just appeared over the tree line again. It is doing the same exact thing as last night and is in the same location. I wish I could take a picture of it but you can't see it with the camera I have.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hello. where are you located? I am in Oklahoma, and tonight I saw something similar to what you said. At first I thought it was a plane, but it stayed stationary. It was flashing white, green, red, and I think blue.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

Exactly! I am in Georgia, Northeast Section. It is out tonight in the same place. It slowly moves up and to the right from my vantage point. It appears about 8:30 it seems and now it is still out just a little further up and over to the right a bit.

EDIT: The later it gets the smaller it gets as well.
edit on 6-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The one in the south that seemed brighter (although questionable) was more than likely Jupiter....as for planets not flickering FALSE, strong turbulence in the atmosphere WILL cause planets to flicker.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus
reply to post by Devino

Now you have me wondering. I am completely confused. We have spotty clouds now. I will have to look again tonight. It was about 15 degrees or so off the horizon. It was around 8:45pm when I saw it. About 10:30pm or so it was 20-25 degrees. It was in the Northwestern sky.

Well something is very screwy then. Any celestial object in the northwest would be getting lower in the sky as the night goes on, not higher.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The color-changing star is what the guy has filmed in the video below and has been visible for many months - I'd say even over a year. Wish I had a powerful telescope to get a better look at it. I believe it's been in the eastern sky recently.

On an unrelated note, there is also a very bright body (brightest in the sky other than the moon) which does not look like a planet, nor a star - it looks like a very bright light. You can even see this one through thin cloud cover on nights when no other stars are visible.

This one is in the southwest sky, shows up early in the evening and appears to slowly move to the east and has been around a couple of years. Took some video of it about nine months ago, but not really interested in looking for the video and jumping through hoops to upload it to ATS (way too complicated).

edit on 6-11-2010 by SphinxMontreal because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2010 by SphinxMontreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I will have to grab a compass and check out the direction for sure. I would do it right now but I am going to bed. I will report back tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The original "star" is out again tonight --eastern sky. The object this thread is about. The other one --the one I had mentioned that was in the South last night is in the South-West tonight. And again, no shimmering, just one color. From my point of view, the South-West one is a bit brighter than the star in the East.

I'll see if my HD cams can capture any of them right now.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Yes, I too have seen this low large multi-colored changing star for th past few nights. It is to my south east and as the night goes, its goes further south around 12am-ish pst.
Tonight I see nothing due to the clouds on my east ???

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by VenomVile.6

I see the big bright 'star' in the south-east too. It doesn't change colour though. I just assumed it was a planet.

I will check stellarium.

ETA: Well I checked stellarium and I am pretty sure it's Jupiter.

Still doesn't explain the colour changing thing people are seeing though.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Jupiter is very prominent in the night sky but venus is rising in th emorning as is saturn. I am not sure what you saw?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well it is definitely in the northeastern sky. I guess it would be NNE from my perspective.

EDIT: My previous post was wrong about it being in the NW. Typo sorry.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
People, please listen to me, I will say this one more time, the one east (ish) before sunrise is Venus,. the one at evening / night that starts east and moves south is Jupiter, both are amazing even through binoculars......during periods of extreme turbulence in the atmosphere they might, although rarely, appear to shimmer, that is due to something called scintillation, that is also why stars shimmer, although more often as they are a single point of light in the night sky.

Edit: I made a thread not so long back informing people Venus was about to show itself again:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7/11/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
People, please listen to me, I will say this one more time, the one east (ish) before sunrise is Venus,. the one at evening / night that starts east and moves south is Jupiter, both are amazing even through binoculars......during periods of extreme turbulence in the atmosphere they might, although rarely, appear to shimmer, that is due to something called scintillation, that is also why stars shimmer, although more often as they are a single point of light in the night sky.

Edit: I made a thread not so long back informing people Venus was about to show itself again:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7/11/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Very cool indeed. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
A fun way to help confirm if what you're seeing is Jupiter is to look at it through a pair of binoculars.
If it is a star all you will see is a brighter object with no real definition, no clear round shape. If what you're seeing is Jupiter then you will be able to see up to four of its moons. The configuration of these moons will change from night to night sometimes only showing three as one moon hides behind or in front of the planet. Also viewing planets through binoculars or a telescope you can see a more defined round shape. Stars twinkle showing spikes of light and planets appear more defined.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join