It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN says they're investigating reports of some 700 Congolese women raped by Angolan soldiers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

UN says they're investigating reports of some 700 Congolese women raped by Angolan soldiers

www.google.com

KINSHASA, Congo — U.N. officials say they're investigating reports that some 700 Congolese women were raped by soldiers from neighbouring Angola.
Maurizio Giuliano, a spokesman for the U.N.'s humanitarian agency, says the women were among a group of some 7,000 Congolese expelled from Angola in October. He says the U.N. has called on both nations to investigate.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
God this is awful, none of us could even begin to imagine the hell some of these people are going through.

Some try and forgive my rant but when I see pathetic doomsday prediction threads, a part of me dies because the above story is real.

The small mindedness of some here disgusts me, with their government trying to kill them all the time...

Fact is, that crap does go down, it's just that those that are truly oppressed don't have the luxury to share their story about it, unlike those that get about here using their high speed internet in their safe, secured homes.

WAKE UP ATS.

There are SO, SO many worse off than you.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
to be honest...my greatest fear on a doomsday is not that i die...its more that i still alive and
see what kind of animals people can be :/

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by angrydog

I can't argue that.

This article is proof of that.

Hurricane Katrina was proof of that.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
What is the answer? The idea of rape as a tool of war is of course disgusting and inhuman, but its so firmly entrenched in the areas where it is prevalent, that to remove it would require DECADES of peace and total non agression. How likely is that in the Congo? How likely is that in Angola? I fear that the answer is , not at all likely.
There are ALREADY UN forces in the Congo and in most nations surrounding it, and thier presence never seems enough to deter these attacks, so what do we do ? Send MORE UN troops in? In blue helmets? With orders to do nothing save for provide a body block to these outrages? Even if the entire peacekeeper force was installed there, they wouldnt be allowed to hunt and capture or kill the savages who are performing these terrifying deeds, because that would probably go against seventeen articles of the treaties and agreements which make up the laws which the UN works by , so what the hell can be done about it?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It's Africa. The whole continent is a hell-hole. It's the 21st century's version of the wild-west. There's been crap happening there for centuries. What amuses me(and ticks me) though is how people complain about what happens there, like they did with the rwandan genocides, yet no-one really does anything but complain. Haha.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well I mean, if any body deiced to do something, what options do we have? And I don't ask this as a 'well it's so hard so why don't we just ignore it' I mean it as a honest inquiry.

If someone, or some nation decides to intervene, and bring justice in a most swift and final manner, the UN and many many people will cry foul, and say they we're unjustified. You will have anti-war protesters who have their head so firmly shoved in the sand that they cease hearing the cries of the people of earth. War is not preferable, but it is, despite all rhetoric to the contrary, some times justified.

These people can't or won't fight back, either because of lack of resources to do so, or generations of ingrained fear. But some can.

Then again, violence begets violence.

So then what if we give a route of escape, easier ways to get to our nations of safety? Then their troubles follow them. We see it so readily. Drug wars spilling over into the states. Racial gangs running amok in first world countries despite the efforts of our law enforcement agencies.

We can throw the doors open and even supply a never ending supply of boats. Until what? Until we drain the country of all inhabitants and move them all to a different area? Again, not preferable, we do nothing to stop the anger, the rage, the fear. It follows.

And if we do move them, or even just those that we perceive as victims, then those left behind will cry foul. There will be people, once again, who believe them. They may demand restitution for draining so much of their valuable citizens. Then we'll be in a unenviable situation of giving money to the monsters.

Honestly, I wasn't sure I had a point. I wasn't sure I was doing anymore then heaping depression. But now I see a theme. You can't please everyone. But that shouldn't stop you from doing what you feel is right. So then the real question is, what can we do on a personal level to affect this?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
What is the answer? The idea of rape as a tool of war is of course disgusting and inhuman, but its so firmly entrenched in the areas where it is prevalent, that to remove it would require DECADES of peace and total non agression.

I don’t know what the answer is but it surely can’t be to resign to this reality and give up trying to change it.

I know you are not proposing this but I’m just pointing out that no matter how arduous and improbable the task seems, that can never be a reason to give up trying to set things right.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
ummm
wait....

So they are investigating angolan soldiers raping congolese women but not the UN is not investigating UN Peacekeepers raping congolese women???

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by aptness

I absolutely agree, but heres the knife in the dark :

In order to effectively combat this situation, the UN would have to forcibly disarm the ENTIRE REGION and install itself as the prime law of all the lands effected by this insanity. UN peacekeeper numbers in the area would have to run into the millions to police the borders of the various nations involved with this. In the early stages there would be blood on every side, and the UN would by dint of being there and being the law there, become the evil empire we all wish never to see.
In fact, to solve this problem , the hated ideals of a one world government would have to be bought forward as legitimate policies. They arent.

Without a firm hand and without impartiality , this madness cannot end, but mankind cannot put this gun against its head , and launch the round of the NWO into its already abused frontal cortex . It cannot because it knows in its heart that the same thing that is the only salvation of the region , will be the final blow that causes the fatal heamorage of which it will ultimately die, twitching and spasming its last with the final vestiges of its dignity flowing from its voided bowels and bladder.

Decades of this madness have ruled in the Congo and surrounding nations, and even though there have been initiatives, policy drives, UN presence and every assistance that we can give from our nations to thiers over the years, nothing has really changed. So , do we eat the burning hot round of totalitarianism, and provide the iron fist required to end the brutality, or leave it to hope that the issues can be adressed between the nations themselves, and that somehow the madness merely leaves the area as a result of prayer, or differing wind conditions?
edit on 6-11-2010 by TrueBrit because: Question mark insertion... sounds painful doesnt it?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

So they are investigating angolan soldiers raping congolese women but not the UN is not investigating UN Peacekeepers raping congolese women???

This is all very old news. It's been going on for years because most of Africa is so segregated into small areas of power. Big Corp likes it that way because it is easy to buy off local leaders and rape both it's people and resources..

Yep, old news and it doesn't disgust me any less today than it did yesterday....

new topics

top topics

join