It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanic Eruption in Benue, Africa, Being Reported.....?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I came across news of this just now but can't find any other source on google news for this .

A volcanic eruption has occurred at the mountainous Mkomon district of Kwande Local government of Benue State with one person feared dead while properties worth millions of Naira have also been destroyed. Residents of the affected community have deserted their homes in search of safer place. Sources of portable water have been polluted by the heavy magma emitted from the eruption. Vanguard gathered from eye witnesses that there were heavy vibrations around the mountains at the border with Cameroun Republic, followed by eruptions at six points on the mountainous terrain. The vibrations spewed magma which covered streams and hand dug wells and the entire community leaving the people without portable water. At the moment, there is panic amongst the people who are said to be cut off completely from the rest of the world as a result of the occurrence and damages to roads and bridges which was occasioned by the heavy vibration.

African News Source

Someone who picked up on it over at some 2012 forum is labeling this location the Biu Plateau volcano (Nigeria) until they identify it. If its Biu Plateau; it hasn't erupted sincethe Holocene Period they say. So, not alot to report as yet but it might be worth keeping an eye on.

EDIT TO ADD : According to this wiki page only ONE volcanic region is listed for Nigeria, and this is indeed the Biu Plateau. Here are the coordinates
It is also known as Barbur Plateau , Biu Upland and there really is very little about it that I've found so far - probably because it hasn't erupted for an absolute age.

Biu Volcano is located in NE Nigeria. The volcanic field sits at the NE end of the Benue trough. The trough is related to the
separation of Africa from South America.

The trough runs from the Niger delta to the Chad basin, and is filled with folded Cretaceous sediments and scarce volcanic rocks with a maximum total thickness of 5500 m. The Benue trough runs parallel to the Cameroon line, which is a tectonic fault stretching from Sao Tome and Principe to Nigeria.

Cinder cones and lava flows are located on the Biu Plateau. Eruptions have been dated at 840,000 years ago.

source

edit on 6/11/10 by cosmicpixie because: wanted to add a bit more info

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Wow, another volcanoe active.
Seems to be spreading.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
poor little earth. just as it was starting to bloom with knowledge and so many new and exciting discoveries about it and the rest of existence, it gets nervous like it's its first day at high school and starts breaking out with big red gooey pimples all over the place at the worst time.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

You say volcanoe I say volcano!

2nd line

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Cinder cones and lava flows are located on the Biu Plateau. Eruptions have been dated at 840,000 years ago.

So let's see, this volcano hasn't erupted in Eight Hundred Fourty THOUSAND YEARS and now she is showing signs of activity?!?! I guess Africa didn't want to be left out of this volcano party! The only place that doesn't have an activly erupting volcano now is the continental US! How long before that changes?!

Does anybody even know the severity of the last time this volcano erupted?

If all of this NEW and or simultaneous volcanic activity keeps up I am not going to worry about keeping in shape for next summer as there may not BE a next summer.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I found another article on this, here's the link.

Info on this event seems very scarce to say the least. There's even doubt it happened at all..

Anyone else find anything?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Another link:

www.vanguardngr.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Can someone give me a list of all the volcanos that HAVE erupted (at least the number count) and are currently being watched?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by innervision0730
Can someone give me a list of all the volcanos that HAVE erupted (at least the number count) and are currently being watched?

To me, this site (link below) says it all. Click on an icon on this map, and a pop-up will tell you the 'disaster event' it represents. From that pop-up, click on details, then look for the Event Description tab for a paragraph of info.

Worldwide Disasters

There are, according to this map, 3 volcanoes erupting in Africa. Yes, one is in the Benue region.

edit on 11/6/2010 by new_here because: clarity

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Awesome, thank you!

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by innervision0730
reply to post by new_here

Awesome, thank you!

You are quite welcome. While you're there, zoom in on India and check out all of the stuff going on there... bio hazards, epidemic hazards, flash flood, tropical storm/depression. Ol' 'bama picked a fine time to visit.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Hi Pixie,

I read this on the RSOE EDIS information page.... Info

And the link for the main map page.. Main Map

In the report there is a bottom line asking for more information.

new topics

top topics

join