It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of fat Australian children has trebled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
With one in four Australian children now tipping the scales at overweight or obese, the Australian government has unveiled a package designed to get children off the couch and stop them eating junk food.

www.reuters.co.uk...

Wow! I have always thought of Aussies and very into the outdoor activities. Is the Prime Minister trying to distract, or are the kids down under really getting bigger?

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I live in Aus and i can confirm that, yes overall we are outdoorsy people (but keep in mind we have alot of out door eating venues), but yes we are getting fatter as well... i think we're the second fattest nation per capita (after the US)... its kinda funny coz i'm thin and i can eat anything i want and not put on weight... but its kinda sad that so many kids are getting this way...

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Its not just Australian children who are becoming increasing obese. Everywhere in the developed world has this.

Quote from your article

Howard said education authorities would also be required to ensure schools include at least two hours of physical activity a week for primary and junior high school students in order to receive funding from the national government.

Two hours a week is no where enough exercise for children of this age.

Doctors recommend a gradual increase in physical activity, such as brisk walking, to at least an hour a day.

Another large factor in controlling obesity in children is the lifestyle of their parents. The strategy of "do as I say, not as I do" simply does not work.

genetic factors are thought to be less significant than the fact that families tend to share eating and activity habits.

To read the article see here.

hcd2.bupa.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
So for once it's not the U.S. in the news for this. Yay!!

Now to sit back and watch all the "fat, lazy Austrailians need to put down their cheeseburgers and work out!" posts come rollin' in. RIGHT! Maybe this will be looked at as the real problem it is now that it's not just an American statistic. Though I'm sure someone will blame the U.S. for it. It's our McDonalds that are destroying the world!

Is the human race speeding (not on foot, obviously) toward the re-invention of "Survival of the Fittest"? At some point will the more fit persons in society be the only ones left standing?

new topics

top topics

join