It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something that looked like a missile over Phoenix.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Yeah check this out..... Linky

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Vandenberg AFB (CA) is not terribly far from Luke AFB (AZ), so You most likely saw this:
spaceflightnow.com...

Launch window: 7:20 p.m. local time (10:20 p.m. EDT)
Launch site: SLC-2W, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California

The United Launch Alliance Delta 2 rocket will deploy the fourth Italian COSMO-SkyMed radar Earth-imaging satellite. The X-Band Synthetic Aperture Radar payload on the spacecraft will be used for civil and military applications. The rocket will fly in the 7420-10 vehicle configuration. ULA will conduct this commercial launch for Boeing. Delayed from Oct. 29 due to issue with equipment for loading second stage hypergolics. Scrubbed on Oct. 31 due to heater problem in first stage engine section. Scrubbed again Nov. 1 due to gaseous nitrogen purge problem. Scrubbed Nov. 2 for second stage battery low voltage reading. Delayed to Nov. 5 due to collision avoidance cutout. See our Mission Status Center. [Nov. 3]

It was a Delta 2 rocket, so he is correct that it is in part replacing the Shuttle in many of its satalite launching capacities:
en.wikipedia.org...

All United States expendable launch vehicles were to be phased out for the Space Shuttle, but in 1986 the Challenger accident restarted Delta development.[citation needed] The Delta II was specifically designed to accommodate the GPS Block II series of satellites. Delta IIs have successfully launched 125 projects (through August 2007), including several NASA missions to Mars.

None of that has anything to do with what is going on in India however, and since he was only answering “yes and no”, a relationship between these events might appear, due to your speculation, where no direct relationship in fact exists.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The Air Force too control of the X37B project years ago when it was "cancelled" as a NASA program, which was indeed intended to be the shuttles replacement. They have admitted to it's existence and even discussed it's capabilities in a limited fashion.

As for a Nuclear accident and the Pres., I would find it a little odd that he would be a first response by the U.S.

Generally in such a situation you would expect a military and political presence to advise the victim nation on containment and clean up and on improving security measures, but not the President himself.

If this had inflamed the situation between India and Pakistan you would certainly expect the President to be making phone calls like a mad man, but again, not immediately paying a visit and bringing the kids along.

X37B lifting off? Plausible, maybe even probable.

Nuclear accident in India? Possible.

Obama visiting soon after, with family, specifically to deal with the accident? Pretty Unlikely, in my opinion.

Maybe the two are not directly linked, or maybe the accident is false.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
If an ICBM was launched from the US to India what trajectory would it follow? What would be the quickest route for it to travel to India? Would it be around close to the equator or would it go over Canada?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Heres the culprit.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2a7f44d555a8.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

Didnt they launch something like that recently some military space plane? It was on the news.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Oh yes...makes perfect sense...let's send the President, and his family, to the site of a nuclear accident to help with "containment"...you know...because that is the Presidents job.

I am thinking someone is having a good laugh pulling the legs of some of the more gullible ATSers

Mm, and I still haven't had an answer to my question to the OP.

Obama's visit planned months in advance. Nuke accident a few days ago. How can Obama's trip be said to be for containment when he didn't know the accident was going to happen when he started planning his trip?

And - containment of what?
edit on 5-11-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Why would a Delta II rocket take a sudden turn? I am not sure that that explains this picture, although the timing is right.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

definitely looks like a rocket launch...how the plume changes direction quickly when the guiding systems kick in. I don't really know what to make of this. Kindof like the direction this thread seems to be going in

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Why would a Delta II rocket take a sudden turn? I am not sure that that explains this picture, although the timing is right.

That, I cannot answer. I too noticed the turn in the exhaust trails.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

That is simple. If the OP is telling the truth about the conversation, then his pilot friend may have been misleading him. If the pilot friend was telling the truth to his estimation, then perhaps the incident was a long time running, but the explosion only JUST happened.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Wind blew it maybe?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I am about 99% certain that this is a normal persistent contrail:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b91f883dc7f3.jpg[/atsimg]
A rockets contrail under those lighting conditions would appear to “glow in the dark” at the end furthest from the ground as the light hits it shining over the arc of the Earth:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1da58760bedd.jpg[/atsimg]
The parts of the trail at the highest altitude can remain visible after sunset for long periods of time due to the suns ability to still shine on it from over the horizon. For example:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4abce0d9f2fb.jpg[/atsimg]

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter
Hang on people, FOUND a link to what that launch was:

www.ocregister.com...

"The launch of a Delta II rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base is set for 7:20 p.m. Friday, and the rocket's trail could be visible from Orange County....."

The satellites make global observations but focus on the Mediterranean, tracking the effects of natural disasters, erosion and pollution, as well as being used for “territorial security and strategic defense,” a statement from Vandenberg said.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The "Official" word from the AFB....

www.vandenberg.af.mil...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Maybe the nuclear accident asnt happend yet.

By the way, Why would they fire a rocket from that base beacuse of this accident in india?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Great job on getting the images!! Wow!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Great job on getting the images!! Wow!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I think this sort of system would explain the crooked plume...I can only assume that this is a guided missile(missile being the only word i could think of but does not imply a weapon system)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
www.vandenberg.af.mil...

by 1st. Lt. Ann Blodzinski 30th Space Wing Public Affairs 11/4/2010 - VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. --

Vandenberg is scheduled to launch a Delta II rocket carrying the Thales Alenia Space-Italia COSMO-SkyMed Satellite Nov. 5 at 7:20 p.m. from Space Launch Complex-2 on North Vandenberg. The rocket launch, originally scheduled for Oct. 29, was most recently delayed due to a second stage low voltage battery issue that has been resolved and the rocket is ready for launch. This launch is the fourth and final completing the COSMO-SkyMed constellation. The Nov. 5 launch time is the most advantageous for the fourth satellite to be correctly inserted into the constellation. The overall objective of the COSMO-SkyMed program is global Earth observation, particularly in the Mediterranean area. Some applications include territorial surveillance; analyzing effects of natural disasters; coastal surveillance to assess erosion and sea/river pollution, monitoring of farming, forestry resources and urban buildings; mapping with a resolution on the order of one meter; and territorial security and strategic defense. The other three COSMO-SkyMed satellites were launched from Vandenberg in June 2007, December 2007 and October 2008. The Delta II launch vehicle will deliver COSMO-4 into a circular Sun-synchronous orbit, phased on the same orbital plane as COSMO-1, COSMO-2 and COSMO-3, where it will begin its mission of data observation and data recording for the needs of both the military and civilian communities. This launch is a partnership among the 30th Space Wing, United Launch Alliance, the Boeing Corporation, Thales Alenia Space-Italia, Italian Space Agency and the Italian Ministry of Defense. Col. Richard Boltz, 30th Space Wing commander, is the launch decision authority.

edit on 11/5/2010 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join