It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: Olbermann suspended for Dem contributions

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Though I think Mr Olbermann is a complete tool, he should be able to spend his money how he wishes... I may disagree with everything he stands for, but I would never say somebody doesn't have the right to use their money how they see fit. It seems to me that maybe MSNBC is looking for an excuse to cut Mr Olbermann lose... When has MSNBC not been in the lefts pocket?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Well, I could agree that a private company has the right, through contract, to make restrictions on what can be said or done by their employee, and it is ultimately the free choice of said employee to decide to agree (and be hire) or disagree (and either negotiate or else not be hired). I could easily see this as something where an organization wants an impartial news reporter or journalist in their employ not to donate to a party (i.e., show themselves to be partisan).

However, a few things:

-MSNBC is not an impartial network
-Keith Olbermann is not an impartial journalist
-This was probably an excuse by the president of the company or the fact that Comcast is looking at MSNBC and comcast doesn't want to pay Olbermann 8 million a year. GE sells Comcast 51% share of NBC

Also, one should note the following about Fox's "Impartial" Journalists:

Contributor Occupation Date Amount Recipient
HANNITY, SEAN
OYSTER BAY,NY 11771 FOX NEWS/TALK HOST 8/31/2010 $5,000 MICHELE PAC
HANNITY, SEAN
OSYTER BAY,NY 11771 FOX NEWS/BROADCASTER 5/1/2010 $2,400 Gomez, John
HANNITY, SEAN
OSYTER BAY,NY 11771 FOX NEWS/BROADCASTER 5/1/2010 $2,400 Gomez, J

SOURCE: Opensecrets.org

MICHELE PAC being Michele Bachman (though I would have thought it was spelled Michelle, but maybe the second L has fled her insanity)

So, anyway, this is clearly a situation where MSNBC did not want to fire Olbermann so as not to pay him outright for breach of contract. But they also wanted to get rid of him and found a good clause in the contract under "impartial journalism" which is stretching the semantics big time.

But, then again, I just watched "Network" in its entirety on Wednesday night, so that was a fun coincidence. This whole imbroglio is not shocking to me at all and most likely has nothing to do with MSNBC trying to hold themselves to higher (**cracking up laughing**) journalistic standards...now to Lindsey Lohan...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The policies, or in this case, the non-existence of certain policies, of other networks has absolutely no relevance in this matter. Fox News has constantly demonstrated that it has little or no integrity, so using them as comparison or example for anything is quite absurd, and besides, Keith Olbermann is employed by MSNBC so the only relevant policies here are those of MSNBC.

And it seems that Mr. Olbermann didn’t act in accordance with those policies. From that perspective there is no excuse for what Mr. Olbermann did, or didn’t do — since it is alleged he failed to ask for permission — and management is acting legitimately.

There is another question here, though. Employees are subject to the conditions and terms of their contracts, this, however, doesn’t mean that employers have unlimited power in what they may request of and impose on their employees.

I’m unsure of the legality of this policy that, apparently, seems to require employees ask permission before contributing to political campaigns. It seems to me that a sensible, and undoubtedly legal, approach to this concern — if indeed is a concern of the network — would be to have the employees inform their employer of their contributions once they had contributed, and make the viewers aware of this fact.

This question, of course, would only be settled if Mr. Olbermann, or other employee suspended/fired for the same reason, would challenge this policy in court. Something I’m pretty sure won’t happen, more so that I believe Mr. Olbermann will be back on the air, and on MSNBC, very soon.
edit on 6-11-2010 by aptness because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
One of the members commented on how bitter and mean spirited this idiot Olberman is. Who wants to watch somebody whine? That's all he does. There's so much whining on msnbc I find them all unwatchable, and I have tried. I know people like these and I stay as far away from them as I can, rather than letting them ruin my day. They are definitely a depressing bunch, all they do is whine about how bad other people are. Get a life, Keith. You and that sourpuss Rachel "Butch" Maddow make a great pair of losers. Good riddance.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

Funny how journalists are making commercials here in Minnesota now, shilling for their favorite eateries, or hair replacement establishments.
GE, probably just hates the fact that Olberman donated to democratic party members, and didn't I read somewhere that 2 other members of msnbc/nbc/cnbc, donated to republicans and have not been suspended?

ETA, liberal media my arse, it's fairly easy to see it's conservative biased now, as msnbc had many conservatives on, on election night, including the bat guano crazy Bachman, yet not one of them would answer simple questions.

edit on 11/6/2010 by saturnsrings because: to add more content.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Looks like Obamamann's fill-in also failed NBC's policy.

Olbermann’s Replacement? Wait for It…

Chris Hayes, tapped Friday by MSNBC to fill in for the indefinitely suspended Keith Olbermann as host of the prime-time political show “Countdown,” gave money to two Democratic campaigns in recent years. Now, following that disclosure, MSNBC says Mr. Hayes won’t get the gig after all.

Mr. Hayes, editor of The Nation, a liberal magazine, made a series of donations to Josh Segall, an Alabama Democrat, who ran for Congress in 2008 and considered running in the Democratic primary for this election. Mr. Hayes donated $1,500 to Mr. Segall in 2008 and $250 in December 2009, according to Federal Election Commission records.

The editor also donated $250 in January 2009 to Thomas Geoghegan, who ran in a primary for an Illinois seat. This summer, Mr. Hayes interviewed Mr. Geoghegan, an author, when he guest hosted The Rachel Maddow Show, another MSNBC program.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by philis
I'm positive Keith will be back to work by Monday.

Oh! You should have said Tuesday!

Keith is Back to Work on Tuesday!

From Phil Griffin, President of MSNBC:

After several days of deliberation and discussion, I have determined that suspending Keith through and including Monday night’s program is an appropriate punishment for his violation of our policy. We look forward to having him back on the air Tuesday night.

I bet they'll have LOTS of viewers tomorrow night!
edit on 11/8/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You shouldn't of said that, the perfect lead in.

I bet they'll have LOTS of viewers tomorrow night!

At least dozens!

Here is the real reason for the pivot maneuver.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

We tried to watch it last night on our computer and it wouldn't load.

Olbermann, Back on Air, Speaks His Mind

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I have not had a chance to catch up on the MSM this week. Been editing some video and pics from some jobs. I cannot wait to sit back with some popcorn or some pudding (do a search on that) and watch some Olby.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Do you think Olberman will try to find fault with Beck's show tuesday at five? Will you guys reveal yourselves by not posting this comment about the 800lb. gorilla he (Beck) let out of the bag? Curiouser and curiouser.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by dillweed

What 800 lb gorilla is that? Not all of us watch Glenn Beck. *shivers*

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The gorilla in question is George Soros, or as Glenn refers to him 'the puppet master'. I can't believe I'm the first to comment on the SH%TSTORM this is going to start. He pulled no punches about who he thinks is responsible for the economic situation we are in right now. If only half of what Beck states is true we've been taken for a ride by aguy who hates america even more than Obama.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Try CNN.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Hey, set aside what you think you know and give a listen. It will NOT kill you to listen to ALL sides of the argument.

It may actually SURPRISE you the things he states.

Ereugo- www.watchglennbeck.com...

I suggest Monday and Tuesday. Monday was QUITE enlightening. Also, just for those of you out there that think I am a Beckite or something, I watch ALL the media to get ALL aspects of the argument. I do attempt to see all aspects of the argument.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Oh, I have watched "both sides" plenty of times. I still listen to Rush on my car radio.
I even kind of like BillO. But I cannot stomach Glenn Beck. I literally get ill watching him. He's an actor and a bad one at that. I will watch the video you linked, but I'm not making any promises to watch it all.

You're VERY right when you say to watch both sides, because the truth is likely in the middle.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

If you can stand BillO, you can take Beck. I prefer Beck about 100 times better than BO. Hey, I just realized that Barack and Bill have the same initials. There is a conspiracy in that I bet!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join