It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: Olbermann suspended for Dem contributions

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Oh c'mon. It's certainly none of your employers business what you do in your private affairs, let alone who you donate to. I don't like the guy but this is just ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater
I want government out of our lives,

Move to Somolia..it will be like your utopia

Government takes care of big problems that I personally or my community collectively cannot tackle on our own, such as how much lead can go into our paint, or how much poison is allowed in our food supply...go figure, corporate interests care less about you than your elected officals.

Yes, I promote liberal progressive policies, because they are also known as the policys of civilization. You have the option to move into a cave and never be bothered by government again...why do you feel the need to go to the shiny cities and try to remove the checks and balances it has created in order to maintain order? just leave...it really is that simple..hell, you don't even have to leave America...just find some backwoods no road cave network and get comfy
Then you can be as selfish and anti-civilization as you want without being a complete hypocrite typing away on the government created internet saying we don't need government.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Yup

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

reply to post by Hefficide

Olbermanns an idiot for not reading his contract and following through with the stipulations.

The retard has no one to blame but himself.

If you were not allowed to donate money to any political party you liked, would you be OK with it? I'm guessing no, and the only reason you made the statement above is because you don't like Olbermann, probbably because he doesn't like the political party you support.
edit on 6/11/10 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I agree, stipulating he may not donate is an invasion of privacy. Companies shouldn't be allowed to stipulate conditions such as that.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mryanbrown
reply to post by C0bzz

I agree, stipulating he may not donate is an invasion of privacy. Companies shouldn't be allowed to stipulate conditions such as that.

Well, in all fairness...I would want to know who a commentator is "in the bag" for...(although in this case, its not like it was a big mystery).

He didn't get permission for this...the permission thing is stupid, bit like going to ask dad if you can cheer for a team, however I guess thems the rules over at MSNBC...however, the suspended till ? is super retarded...just decide on a timeframe...a week, a day...etc.

I think however they will let it ride for a bit to get people interested in the drama at MSNBC and tune in for updates...then when that wanes down, they will plop him back on air to get another wave of people watching his new showing.

clever if thats what they are doing.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I don't think you're in the bag until they pay you, lol.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mryanbrown

Again Olbermann was not prohibited from donating money to candidates. His contract required him to disclose and notify his bosses prior to making a donation. Olbermann is a tv personalty with a fan base and following. Donating to a candidate, and bring that candidate on the air while endorsing them can be a conflict of interest.

Because of is employed by MSNBC it could be construed as an official endorsement from that network, as well as its anchors. Not disclosing that information creates massive issues. It could be viewed that MSNBC is giving preferential treatment to a democratic contender, while at the same time ignoring any republican contenders. As I said earlier its completely possible it could be viewed as an illegal campaign contribution.

Free media to a democratic contender... Bad Joojoo.

As a private citizen Olbermann most certainly can support whomever he wants. However the network is not his, and is limited by his contract in regards of what he can do on his show (which is owned by MSNBC).

Example:
The President of the United States is the military commander in chief. Just because the President holds that rank, and has the ability to issue military orders, doesn't mean he should without allowing the process itself to be used.

Ignoring the process in place could be construed as undue command influence. It alters the outcome in a manner which is inappropriate.

What I would like to see is kind of what they do in Canada (if they still do it, I could be behind the times). Any candidate should be allowed 15-30 minutes of free TV time to sell themselves to the public. What they are for, against etc.

I wish debated would be just that, debates, and not a press conference. I wish news programs would separate their news programs and their opinion programs. Put the opinion programs on after 7 or 8 pm at night.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

If you were not allowed to donate money to any political party you liked, would you be OK with it? I'm guessing no, and the only reason you made the statement above is because you don't like Olbermann, probbably because he doesn't like the political party you support.
edit on 6/11/10 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

'
If I signed a CONTRACT stating there were stipulations when I donated, I sure as hell wouldnt be mad when I was suspended for failing to uphold my end of the contract.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Yes, I promote liberal progressive policies, because they are also known as the policys of civilization.

You keep telling yourself that kid. One of these days, you will grow up, get a job, and move out of your parents basement and enter something called reality.

Government is the enemy of freedom, and people who support far left or far right policies in government are nothing more than childish, ignorant peons who are incapable of providing for themselves.
edit on 6-11-2010 by BigTimeCheater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

And THAT is the huge MSNBC commercial I talked about back on page 3 of this thread.

They drew a clear line between FOX and MSNBC and I wouldn't be COMPLETELY surprised to find out that Keith is willingly playing his part.
It's a pretty good commercial.
edit on 11/6/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

This is a fantastic finale to this week's elections! Just fantastic!

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I honestly see MSNBC as Fox news' fact checkers - Fox certainly don't seem to have any of their own.

For example, Mike Huckabee cited on Faux News a report in an Indian newspaper that Obama's visit was costing $200M a day. That's a little more than the whole operation in Afghanistan. Chris Matthews had one of his guys call the White House. They found that the costs were about the same as any other presidential trip in the past.
Did Faux News call the White House? No. Because facts are a dangerous thing.

As for Olbermann, I agree that his suspension was legal based on his contract. It should not detract from the fact that his criticism of the right usually involves fact checking and finding that Fox have misled, or at best misunderstood. As a regular viewer I've noticed that he's less about his own personal leanings and more about righting the wrongs that Faux are feeding the American people. His interviews are very well thought out, and not just shouting over those who disagree with him. There's a big difference.

Fox needs to be relabeled as the GOP Channel so there's no gray area. It's certainly not actual news.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

if u want my opionion im sure ther are plent of people on fox news and cnn and all these other big headlines news show backing their own canidates to win im mean sean hannity im sure doesent want the same guy as keith olberman to. i just wounder why keith wouldn't have had a better way to donate his money through a differn party so it didn't come back to him, not that any of it is right because it does create bias, but as far as im concerned theres enough of that in both parties.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Actually you 2 bring up a very interesting point. I completely forgot about the issues that were raised towards the end of the midterms about monetary donations and who they were coming from (outside the country etc).

One of the incoming Republicans on judiciary stated he would investigate these issues.

Now im more curious to find out if this olbermann issue is not a way to get in front of the curve and do damage control on their own terms before the republicans take control in january

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
thinkprogress.org...

Looks like Comcast and its President, Steve Burke, are poised to take over NBC. Steve Burke has deep ties with Bush, Republicans, and has donated quite a bit of money to them. Apparently the takeover hasn't been finalized yet, but one must wonder if booting Olbermann was part of the deal before it officially appeared as if the right-wing CEO was directly responsible. Who knows what kind of power Comcast has had recently though... I'm sure more news will come out to shed light on this, considering the glaring bias/contradictions in firing Olbermann, Phil Donahue, and keeping Scarborough who committed the same act without repercussion.

Any way you look at it, it's obvious there is NO Liberal media bias when it comes to what is censored and what propaganda is allowed to be pushed. The media is notoriously conservative in its spectrum. What people see is the "left" side of that right-wing spectrum is given more credence (which essentially makes it more centrist but still status quo) and then are lead to believe that somehow the media is Liberal when REAL Liberal news/ideas are scarce.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
No non-sense approach....

Olberman (obamaman) his show is no that much of a loss to me (imo).... I miss hearing Juan Williams though on NPR radio... I am not sad for mr. keith to go just like when sanchez got kicked out a few months ago.. The shows were unwatchable anymore, if anything MSNbC is doing themself a favor.. Now get rid of Chris Mathews and the feelings he gets up his legs and MSNBC MIGHT BE WATCHABLE again... Atleast Juan Williams was articulate and HAS a brain to talk for himself...
edit on 6-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by philis
In my opinion, this is a ploy to distract Americans and to sweep the 'real news' under a rug, at least for the weekend. I'm positive Keith will be back to work by Monday.

I think you're right that Keith will be back Monday or after a short vacation, but what is the 'real news'? Any ideas?

reply to post by Xcathdra

reply to post by philis

Those are two great posts and I agree that this must have been orchestrated. A publicity stunt.

When I watched TV, I liked Keith Olbermann and Rachel, probably mostly because I lean left politically, so I enjoyed their stuff - as entertainment - and I agree with some of it, too. I think they're both great presenters. But I understand what I'm watching. I realize that I'm getting one side of a two-sided story. They aren't fooling me with a message of "Liberals are really great and Republicans eat babies." But they're human and they're driven by their own agenda, so I can understand them taking part in a publicity stunt like this, even though I don't agree with it.

Xcathdra - I fired up the computer to watch Countdown last night (for the first time. Really.
) to see how they would handle this story, and I was surprised not to see Chris Hayes standing in for Keith. That brings up a question for me. If they planned this ahead of time, why did they wait till the last second to check out Hayes' donation history?

edit on 11/6/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dillweed
Olberman is a sanctimonious boob, with apologies to boobs. They can't possibly sanction this arsehole enough. Who likes this guy?

Believe it or not when he was holding bushs' feet to the burning constitution. I did. Once leg-tingling became the order of the day; him Mathews and Maddow became unwatchable.I gotta say its a step in the right direction for nbc.(not because its him but because they took a stand in the correct direction.) Nobody is watching network news anymore anyway.but it adds to nbc's supposed "objectivity".

edit on 6-11-2010 by 46ACE because: punctuation.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Yes, I promote liberal progressive policies, because they are also known as the policys of civilization.

You keep telling yourself that kid. One of these days, you will grow up, get a job, and move out of your parents basement and enter something called reality.

Government is the enemy of freedom, and people who support far left or far right policies in government are nothing more than childish, ignorant peons who are incapable of providing for themselves.
edit on 6-11-2010 by BigTimeCheater because: (no reason given)

As long as you have a job you don't know reality....

Generate revenue without a job and only then do you know reality

Keep in mind, capitalism is a liberal policy.
edit on 6-11-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join