UPDATE: Olbermann suspended for Dem contributions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by pplrnuts

After viewing your avatar, its hard to imagine how you have the guts to insult anyones "ugly mug". No offense, but seriously.

Tho i do no agree with bakedtater, that comment was extremely unacceptable , personal attacks of that kind of voracity are not tolerated on ATS, you might ought to read the terms and conditions as i see you are new here....

As to the OP and Tater, i can see where donating money would be over the line, because of its blatantly bias, and as a news commentator that calls into question objectivity........the man can vote for whoever he wants, but thats a private affair, something that can be pulled up like a donation, which is public , probably calls into question his ability to be balanced, and im sure MSNBC doesnt like that.

And you do not find that comment of hers insulting in the first place? I find is very bothersome hearing someone insulting another when they in fact are much more suitable to be on the receiving end of such a comment. Perhaps such comments she should keep to herself in the future, unless of course she doesnt mind receiving such input. End of topic.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Chris Mathews is a complete fool. The shame of it is that about 8 or so years ago he was a reasonable, thoughtful gent. I've read a few of his books and he was funny and insightful. Certainly left of center, but a solid, informative guy. Now he is continually on an emotional tirade. He has no credibility and at this stage I think he thinks he is the only person who thinks he has credibility. I'm hoping he'll get into one of his tirades and vapor-lock on the set.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Sean Hannity, a conservative radio talk show host with a popular hour on Fox News Channel each weeknight, donated $2,400 to the congressional campaign of New York Republican John Gomez in May. In August, he donated $5,000 to the Minnesota-based Michelpac, or Many Individual Conservatives Helping Elect Leaders Everywhere, according to the Federal Elections Commission.

Fox's parent company, News Corp., gave $1 million this summer to the Republican Governor's Association, which helps elect GOP gubernatorial candidates nationally.

MSNBC's own Joe Scarborough, who hosts the "Morning Joe" program, is listed in campaign records as donating $4,200 in 2006 to Derrick Kitts, a failed Republican congressional candidate.

Source

Hrm... Pariah much folks?

~Heff

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Olbermanns an idiot for not reading his contract and following through with the stipulations.

The retard has no one to blame but himself.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Your comments are unacceptable. I understand what you are saying but the Terms & Conditions say that members are prohibited from that sort of attacks on other members not on public figures.

And even if it wasn't permitted, your response to someone's violation of those conditions would be to violate them as well?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
this is what i said before about corporations... they can back or donate and support any candidate, but an individual inside that organization cannot. something SERIOUSLY wrong with that.

Why? It is the internal corporate personnel policy that reporters are prevented from contributing to candidates bacause it shows bias in the news organization. Obermann went around bragging that he DID NOT VOTE as a philosophical statement because, he said, it would show he favored one candidate over another. So here he was pretending to be unbiased and pontificating on his nobel position, yet it was a complete fabrication. Here he is claiming to be unbiased and objective while giving the maximum he can to three candidates. That's the very definition of hypocrite.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KerbDune

Your comments are unacceptable. I understand what you are saying but the Terms & Conditions say that members are prohibited from that sort of attacks on other members not on public figures.

And even if it wasn't permitted, your response to someone's violation of those conditions would be to violate them as well?

Perhaps the rules may agree with that, but in my opinion my reply was quite appropriate. And therefore, I stand by my comment and have no regret for my stance. Perhaps we will have less glass-house owners throwing stones in the future, ah?

End of topic.
edit on 5-11-2010 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Hmmm - a couple of things from that..

I'm guessing Fox likely doesn't have the same kind of rule as MSNBC about contributions. Nobody (at least I don't think) disagrees that Hannity is a shill for the right..and Olbermann is a shill for the left. That either would contribute to candidates they like is not really a surprise. One just apparently broke the company's rules in doing it.

MSNBC may not have had the rule in '06 ( or they may have and may have just let him get away with it).

Another point to consider

Off camera Olbermann has a reputation for being "prickly". So, he may have made the boss angry over something totally different and this is just an excuse.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Yeah, I was going to bring up Neil Cavuto and Sean Hannity, and even NewsCorps' ONE MILLION dollar donation to Republicans, but I don't think anyone cares. Keith got suspended and that's all that matters.

I think people should be allowed to contribute to whomever they wish, as long as they don't bring it on the show. But I don't make the rules, I just shake my head at them. :shk:
edit on 11/5/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I like Olbermann, he reminds me of superman battling the evil republican tea party conservatives. But he has to understand that he can't make mistakes like that if he is going against the powers of this country who are supported by the corporate pigs who are behind the republican conservative tea party.

He though is human and does and will make mistakes. But he is one of the only powerful voices against the depraved, ignorant, ANTI-HUMAN republican conservative tea party lunatics who will destroy the country

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

True , some years ago Matthews (MSNBC *) Rhetoric was a bit Toned Down when it came to commenting on Political Idealogies , but today his Liberal Bias is worn like a Badge of Honor on the Lapel of his Cheap Suits . There are always Two Sides to a Story , and more than One View on an Issue , but by watching Anything that is News Worthy on CNN nowadays all you hear is SPIN .
edit on 5-11-2010 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-11-2010 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Mathews is not on CNN!
He is on MSNBC.
CNN, of the three cable giants, including Fox and MSNBC, is the most impartial.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I think people should be allowed to contribute to whomever they wish, as long as they don't bring it on the show. But I don't make the rules, I just shake my head at them. :shk:
edit on 11/5/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Anyone would have to admit, though, that olbermann also "brought it on his show" big time.

Rules are rules. Company policies are just that. And both are not just for liberals to apply to conservatives.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Here's the difference in the Journalistic Standards of NBC and Fox:

MSNBC’s policies governing its employees states:

Anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest. Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the President of NBC News or his designee.
Fox News is alone among the four major TV networks in placing no restrictions on campaign contributions. According to Open Secrets, Sean Hannity has given almost $12,000 to Republican candidates since 2005.

thinkprogress.org...

I guess it's all about standards. FOX's are very low... Of course we knew that.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

My Bad , Typo , MSNBC...........Right !
edit on 5-11-2010 by Zanti Misfit because: Typo

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Well - I didn't comment on if I thought that Fox's standards where low, high or anywhere in between. Just that they likely don't have a rule against contributions (and you confirmed that is true) and that MSNBC does.

To go ahead and share my thoughts I do think that Fox should bar contributions as well.

However, I also think that if MSNBC wasn't tied to NBC they would allow contributions the way Fox does today. For whatever reason Olbermann is being made an example of. But I really can't see much difference between Olbermann and Hannity other than they represent the different ends of the political spectrum.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
How dare you MSNBC! Who the hell do you think could replace him!? He built that network! He is not a bipartisan person but damn it if he is kicked off the air for what he did than every partisan news anchor should have to leave as well on every network.

I was a loyal watcher of Countdown and continue to be. I watch the whole MSNBC lineup every night and it would not be the same without Keith. You better get ready to go bankrupt, he was the only man who could keep that network afloat.
edit on 11/5/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Sooooo typical of the left. Olbermann couldn't possibly be at fault.

No, let's turn this thread into a "blame Fox News thread" instead.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
its in his contract that it must be approved before he donates.

he did not follow the rules he signed

hes suspended

where is the problem here? There is none.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I agree, but this is the same stupid network that cancelled the Phil Donahue show that was at the time practically the only one in media against the Iraq war.

It seems that according to some Olbermann’s ratings are going down and right–wingers are speculating [ and hoping] that he may be cancelled.

MSNBC suspending him indefinitely is strange considering his contribution to that network. Perhaps they should have just suspened him a day or two.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join