It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legion threatens to sue P.E.I. distributor of white poppies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Legion threatens to sue P.E.I. distributor of white poppies

The Royal Canadian Legion is considering legal action following a controversial white poppy campaign in Prince Edward Island. Jim Ross, provincial president for the Legion’s P.E.I. command, says the distribution of white poppies by the Island Peace Committee is not only disrespectful, but likely a breach of trademark. “The use of the poppy for anything other than remembrance is not acceptable,” Ross said Tuesday of the white poppies, which are intended to represent non-violent conflict resolution.

Full article: www.theguardian.pe.ca...

I personally find this campaign offensive. The red poppy is a symbol of rememberance, and to co-opt it like this for what seems to be an attention grab... it's just wrong. I have nothing against the Island Peace Committee or their regular peace services. But to think that something like this would be perfectly ok is absurd. You would think, if they really wanted to promote the white poppy for peace, that they would launch the campaign around D-Day. Not only would it have more impact then, but it wouldn't be seen as a slap in the face to all Canadian veterans. *shakes her head* Leo really should have thought this one out better...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kennit

this crap makes me very angry!!! it is a plant!! ANYONE should be able to do ANYTHING they want with it.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Besides someone breeding a new type of flower to market, what right do people have to try and copy-right a flower.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by acrux
Besides someone breeding a new type of flower to market, what right do people have to try and copy-right a flower.

They're not breeding a new type of flower. They're distributing white paper poppies for use for Remembrance Day to support their peace campaign.
edit on 11/5/2010 by Kennit because: ETA: Corrected spelling mistake.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by theuhstuf
reply to post by Kennit

this crap makes me very angry!!! it is a plant!! ANYONE should be able to do ANYTHING they want with it.

The argument being made isn't so much about the flower itself so much as it is the IDEA or SYMBOL behind the veteran's red poppy being co-opted for the purpose of sensationalizing your peace campaign.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Maybe we lovers of peace should adopt the white feather (A symbol of cowardice) as our symbol.
I would happily be labelled a coward if it helped put an end to pointless mass murder.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I wear my red poppy proudly till it practically falls off.While others discard theirs on the 12th.i try to preserve the symbol as long as possible.
On the other hand i believe that the white poppy is a perfect antiwar symbol.
It gives honour remembrance to our fallen, yet offers a hope for an alternative to violent conflict resolution.
It becomes a personal statement of opposition to the horror of war..
I think a white poppy is not only appropriate, but tasteful, and not overstated.
I would be proud to wear both simultaneously. one on each lapel.....
Though we honour their sacrifices, and remember the fallen,let us never loose sight of the hope for world peace, and good will to men.These are the very things that our fathers fought and died for.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I agree.

I`m sure if you asked war vets if they would still rather go to war or have peace...most, if not ALL of them will say they would much rather no-one ever have to go to war again.

I don`t see it as sensationalising their peace movement.

To my way of thinking most people would wear both...one to remember not only the fallen but all who fought in war...AND...one to speak up for peace.

I wonder where this outrage comes from...surely the vets would want both to be worn.

And if not...then why not a red AND white poppy...or one pin with both?

Maybe the two could get together & come up with a solution...PEACEFULLY...instead of warring about it.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Leave the poppy alone and adopt the white rose.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illegal Alien
Maybe we lovers of peace should adopt the white feather (A symbol of cowardice) as our symbol.
I would happily be labelled a coward if it helped put an end to pointless mass murder.
Didn't we already adopt the day-glo yellow smilie?

To me, the red-poppy has always been a symbol of the pointlessness of war, but I never buy 1 b/c so many people seem to attach some kind of glory to such horrendous examples of the utter stupidity of mankind. Yet, we can also be noble & the ephemerality of the most unrecognised noble actions is, to mind, what makes them even more beautiful. Such as, the person who, in the face of overwhelming gingoism & even law says, "No. I will not wade in my brother's blood so that someone who consideres me as worthless as the people they want me to kill can control more resources. Nevermind the immorality of senseless killing - dont piss down my back & tell me its raining." Where are their poppies?
How about the young nurses who have looked after the aging veterans of ww2, men who really did have to fight tyranny (regardless of the fact that the war itself was the result of the usual ptb squabbling over resources), & out of respect for those men's sacrifices, allowed them to take a few liberties? Where are their poppies?
How about the neighbours who have put up with some grumpy old bastard & helped him out regardless, since they know he's only like that b/c of the disgusting things he saw/had to do in war? Where are their poppies?
Well, perhaps they now have some, symbolically @least. I'm sure such people, of whom I'm 1, dont mind the money going towards campaigning for peace, rather than helping them/us directly.

new topics

top topics

join