It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CAIR suing Oklahoma over Shria law Amendment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The Council on American-Islamic Relations filed a federal lawsuitin an attempt to overturn the will of the people of Oklahoma.

CAI R files federal lawsuit...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
People will argue this amendment was unconstitutional due to it naming a specific religion. I don't think this is a valid argument. It restricts the use of laws not based on legal standing which Islam uses.

Have the people of Oklahoma basically said what the majority of America would say if given a ballot choice?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It's interesting that they filed this suit in federal court. I'd have thought that it would have to be filed in state court. Also, I'd be interested in knowing what the OK state constitution has to say about this. This could end up becoming a states' rights issue as is the case in the AZ immigration law.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Let me get this straight. Oklahoma has a measure that would amend their State Constitution that prohibits Oklahoma courts from considering international law or Sharia law when making its decisions.

The measure:

STATE QUESTION NO. 755 LEGISLATIVE REFERENDUM NO. 355

This measure amends the State Constitution. It changes a section that deals with the courts of this state. It would amend Article 7, Section 1. It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases. It forbids courts from considering or using international law. It forbids courts from considering or using Sharia Law.

International law is also known as the law of nations. It deals with the conduct of international organizations and independent nations, such as countries, states and tribes. It deals with their relationship with each other. It also deals with some of their relationships with persons.

The law of nations is formed by the general assent of civilized nations. Sources of international law also include international agreements, as well as treaties.

Sharia Law is Islamic law. It is based on two principal sources, the Koran and the teaching of Mohammed.

Oklahoma Elections

My first question is: Is this necessary??? Don't they use ONLY US state and federal law to determine their legal decisions anyway?

Also: Why does it specifically name Sharia law? Why not Religious Influence of any kind? That would seem more fair. Or do they want their judicial body to consider Christian influence, just not any other religion?

This seems like a case of discrimination to me. If they wanted to keep religious law from being used, I totally support that, but they shouldn't have specifically named Sharia Law. Of course that's discrimination.
edit on 11/5/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
It's interesting that they filed this suit in federal court..

Because Oklahomans follows federal laws too, and they want to cover Sharia influence on federal laws (in OK) as well as state laws. That would be my guess.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Can I use Jedi Law in a court of law?

top topics

join